Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Package

Options
  • 20-11-2006 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello,

I'm considering changing from Eircom Broadband to Magnet Entertainment pack.

Magnet Entertainment - €59 per month. Special introductory offer of €34 per month for 1st two months

Has anyone any advise or experience with Magnet?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I'm considering changing from Eircom Broadband to Magnet Entertainment pack.

Magnet Entertainment - €59 per month. Special introductory offer of €34 per month for 1st two months
    That's €59 plus €24 for Line Rental - not much of a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I have Magnet at the moment and its great but expensive.
    I have the 8mb line, free phone calls (VOIP) and digital TV (which I dont use)
    So in 2 months time it will be €83 a month which is very pricey. I am going to drop down to the 4mb line and get rid of the TV. When all is said the service is very good and the cap is 150gb a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

i have this package too and while i've had some problems in the past it appears none of them were caused by magnet.

however, a couple of things you need to remember:
    1. the video isn't always great - it often drops out of syn with the audio, it pixelates nd sometimes just stops completely requiring a power cycle of the set to box

2. the router is completely locked down and no settings are user changeable. if you're the kind of person who likes to run a mail server or access your machines from somewhere other than home, you're out of luck.

3. the wireless security is set to WEP by default which is insecure to everybody who can run a program like kismac. again, the router is locked down and this is not user changeable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

will they not set WPA on the wireless for you instead , should be no skin off their nose ???!!

Has anyone had any problems with their email?
    Since I got magnet installed I am having problems sending but not receiving emails. I had a look at their website to see if i needed to change any email settings but can't see anything.
    Anyone any ideas?
    Preilly have you had any problems?
    Cheers.
    Sham

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

you'll probably need to change your outgoing (SMTP) server to their's and not the one that it is currently set to. they dont have the info on their website, but i'm sure if you give them a call they can help.

cheers that what i thought, I thought you might have the SMTP settings.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

sham69 wrote:
    cheers that what i thought, I thought you might have the SMTP settings.
    Try mail.magnet.ie (That's the external address of their SMTP server - it will probably work from inside too).

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

preilly79 wrote:
    2. the router is completely locked down and no settings are user changeable. if you're the kind of person who likes to run a mail server or access your machines from somewhere other than home, you're out of luck.
    Each machine connected to the dsl router is given a routable IP address, so there is no need to access the router.

The SMTP server is smtp.magnet.ie

When you connect to Magnet there is an option to use a new unbundling service called line sharing. They don't spell this out to you on the phone. Basically it means Eircom put a splitter on your line in the exchange, so all of your voice traffic goes through the Eircom equipment in the exchange and all of your DSL traffic goes through Magnet. If you go the fully unbundled route your voice traffic goes over a VOIP connection to Magnet, so if your modem loses power you can't make any phone calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

ro2 wrote:
    When you connect to Magnet there is an option to use a new unbundling service called line sharing. They don't spell this out to you on the phone. Basically it means Eircom put a splitter on your line in the exchange, so all of your voice traffic goes through the Eircom equipment in the exchange and all of your DSL traffic goes through Magnet. If you go the fully unbundled route your voice traffic goes over a VOIP connection to Magnet, so if your modem loses power you can't make any phone calls.
    Never heard about that! Who do you pay your line rental to then? Eircom I presume? I think they are cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

ro2 wrote:
    Each machine connected to the dsl router is given a routable IP address, so there is no need to access the router.

The SMTP server is smtp.magnet.ie

does that mean that your able to keep your eircom phone numberand not have to switch it to a new one..??

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Igster, you can do that anways, Maget used GLUMP which allows for the porting of your eircom number

oh..so if i signup for the broadband..do they say to me would i like to keep the same number or do they just switch me to a new one with out even asking me would i like to keep the same..also does that mean that i dont have to go through my phone using voip..

they ask you if you would liek to keep yoru number, and that it adds about 4 working days to the overall process

aw alri..that sounds cool..the hole reason why i wasnt going to change to these was that my parents wouldnt want to change the number..but now that you can keep it..id say ill be moving to these..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lunatik72

Hello,

I am a bit confused about the router thing, as we didn't get a router with our broadband connection?!

We have the 4MBit fibre connection but the download is always worse than the upload (3-5Mbit/900kb) sometimes the download is even 33kb (lol) (made different speed tests). Anyone else having these problems?

A friend of mine who is living in another area has no problems at all.

Sometimes I can't send emails but then suddenly it works again, weird stuff.

Trying to connect a router at the moment, hope it's gonna work, anyone else have a wireless router connected?

thanks
    Luna :o

ok, try a speedtest from www.speedtest.net ( pick dublin ), www.irishisptest.com and download a large file from http://ftp.heanet.ie , and if none of those give you above 3mbps then magnet have a bandwidth issue and it should be fixed, sinc eyou are on fibre (ruling out line quality ) and the service is uncontended according to adverts, so there should not be any long-term bandwidth shortage effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Generally only adsl suppliers supply routers, and not originally. Other BB services the router is a user supplied extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

mail.netsource.ie will also work for outgoing mail server

Advertisement