Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sofa going bally

Options
  • 20-11-2006 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I bought a sofa and chair in march and its going bally. I noticed the main seat on the sofa had little white balls(its grey) on it but I put it down to cream cushions I had on it however, my chair is now going the same way and there is no decorative cushion on it.
    I paid almost 3k for this, is only two of us so no kids jumping over it. The chair is only used when guests call so I'm disgusted that its happening so quickly. Do I have a case to go back to the shop?:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

loodles wrote:
    I bought a sofa and chair in march and its going bally.

It is called pilling (http://www.ehow.com/how_113477_remove-pilling-clothing.html) and is normal on fabric with loose weave, especially woollens. It is not really acceptable on furniture fabric, especially after just 8 months of normal to light use as you describe it.

It is worth complaining, but there might be an exclusion on pilling and "shading" in the shop policy, with "this does not affect your statutory rights" in tiny letters underneath. Your statutory right is to a product fit for the purpose that it is described as serving. If anyone can provide the right consumers rights act wording it should encourage the shop to play nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If it's cosmetic, the law may not support you. As I understand it, the courts aren't big on remedies for cosmetic faults. I'm not certain about this and how it would apply to you, but don't get your hopes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

It sound like pilling to me can happen more often on the higher quality sofas - similar to wool carpet too.

I suggest you bring in one of the cushions to the store and ask them how best to treat it - I had a little battery operated gadget that cleared them for me. Stopped after a few months as fabric became "worn in".

If its a light coloured sofa its more noticable.

Advertisement