Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Door understair. Advice needed

Options
  • 20-11-2006 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

hi All,

Ok need more space for a few things.

I have decided to put a door under the stairs. There seems to be plenty of room (see pic)

I just need to some advice on a few things.

1 Cutting plasterboard. Do I cut to the size of the door or a little bit bigger?
    2 Where can I source a door from (woodies ?)
    3 Hows do you buld a door frame with what just looks like plasterboard for the walls and sides.

any help really appreciated

Garyh3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Gary,

Are you just cutting into the existing plasterboard (RHS of picture) and making a little cubby or are you talking about plasterboarding in the whole of the understairs and having a standard sized door? Am confused...

If you are making just a little cubby, I can post pics of ours.We got it done about a month ago. The carpenter cut out the plasterboard, built a frame, made a door from red deal sheeting and put architrave all around

D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

hi dools

The latter. Just looking to make a hole in the exicsting board and put a small door so that I can put the hoover etc under there.

Pics would be great

thanks

Garyh3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Its funny that no door was put in when the house was built, hope you don't find a dead body or similar when you open it up :D

Gary,

Not home till late tonight but will get pics up as soon as I can. Like your one, our hoover just lives in there. We were'nt sure about whether to cover in the whole understairs or not. We decided to leave it open as the space will be handy for kids stuff - buggies,bikes,etc I'm sure (one of these days :) )

D

Thanks Dools,

For the door im planning on using a kitchen unit door from woodies, unless someone has any better ideas for a door

thanks

Garyh3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

hmmmmmmm nice ........ :D

Hi Guys and Gals

Still looking for advice on this item

regards

Garyh3

Hi Gary,

just got pics taken now, but the upload is failing. I think the pics are too big.

I will put them up on another site now. Will you PM me your email address and I'll send on my login details to the other site

Cheers

Dools

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

A handy way of adding a cubby hole, is to use an Architrave all round (top, bottom two sides), turn the mould out that way so you have something to hang the door on, and use Amerock hinges to hang the door ( see hinge pic ), they are easy to fit.

For this type of hinge you need to make the Ope about 15mm less than the width of the door to allow for cover and about 10mm in the height as the door is screwed onto the Architrave…

You will need to add a small bit of studding once you have the hole cut out of the slab, and something for the frame…

You could also use plain MDF and paint it in with the wall, some people do this to make it less obvious…
    Good luck with it....

• Advertisement

Hi dools

You can reduce the size of the pics by opening the pics in Paint

Go into Image
    Select stretch/skew

Change Horizontal and vertical to 30%

then save

They should be a lot smaller in file size now for posting

Regards

Garyh3

Thanks Gary,

Pics attached. Have to do across 2 postings as I can only attach 5 in one mail

.....and the last 2. Hoover got relegated from the cupboard as we went to Newry and stocked up for Christmas. Goes to prove the extra storage is deffo handy ;)

Hi Dools

Thanks,...Nice pics especially number 4 (great place for the beer) Yer that just what im looking to do. I was think of the same hinges as the door will be from a kitchen door.

thanks again for the pics

Garyh3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thats a nice tidy job dools.

Thanks guys **blushes** :p

Carpenter did a good job alright. The plasterer had put up a new slab and skimmed over and then the carpenter cut the square out and did the woodwork. Am sure it's handy enough to do if you are any way talented

let us know how you get on Garyh

D

Hi Dools,

Been a bit busy with installing Sheds and greehouses etc... But I finally managed to get my w/e project over and done with. Cost about 50 euros + my time....

Still have to finish the door and put something down on the inside but I didnt find any nasties when I cut away the plasterboard :) it was very clean....

Thanks again for the pics they helped.

Garyh3

PS. the dog liked it!!!

Advertisement