Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Alarm question sensors

• 20-11-2006 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭

Its quite common these days not to put a sensor on windows that are not directly accessible, unless by a window. Usually the security is considered covered by a motion detector on the landing, hall or some other common area.
    Thats ok if theres no one in the house, and you are just protecting the property when you are not there. But its not much good when you are in the house. In theory someone could gain access at the back of a house, especially if you have ladders in out buildings, and be actually in your house without setting off an alarm. It seems like a security "hole" in my opinion. Therefore is there not a case to be made for putting sensors on all windows, especially if even the inaccessible ones are not normally habited. Ditto the same with putting motion sensors in out buildings like garages. Its like an early warning that someone on your property?

Just wondering what peoples thought were on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well speaking as somebody who is security paranoid I can see you point but it does have drawbacks. My first house had contact sensors all over and it was a real pain in the ass having to disable this or that one when needed. My current house has shocks and contacts downstairs as well as an IR sensor in the hall and landing. The only upstairs window that has a shock and contact sensor is the one over the apex kitchen roof for obvious reasons.

Now along with not have sensors on the rest of the upstairs windows, I make sure my side gate is locked with the screwheads holding the lock in place worn down. Along with that I have a 500w PIR light mounted just under the roof and another 300w light covering the backdoor. Both lights switch to a lowpower mode when not activated (about 30w or similar) which I think is a very good deterrent. The shed is locked and I don't have any ladders which could aid in a breakin.

Tbh, I don't think any house is burgleproof, but I believe its a case of making it as less appealing as possible to a burgler by providing as many visual deterrents as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

This property does have a workshop with tools and ladders, and also its been burgled before while there were people in the house! I just feel that because of its past history, and the fact that often theres a single person in it, that the security now needs to be enhanced.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well a past history of burglaries isn't good and also the ladders don't help, but starting off are the sidegates always locked? Also, I remember my dad had a big ladder when I was a kid, but it was mounted to two big hooks on the wall and chained tight, so I would make sure that the ladder would not be easy access to any intruder. How about extra PIR lights in the back as well, and you could also get a wireless camera for less than a €100 on eBay.

I suppose the main thing would be to get the windows alarmed up that aren't as I presume thats how they got in before, but retro fitting cables would be a pain. You could get wireless PIR sensors for spacific rooms as I presume you know the ones that are at most risk.

One time someone jumped from one 1st story ledge to another to gain entry to a window that would be consider only ladder accessible, then on exit jumped from another 1st story to the ground. I know in the past I've gone through at least two of other ( ladder accessible) windows myself in the past when locked out. One of them with out using a ladder. So I have a dim take on skimping on ladder accessible windows.

Ah, I see. Okay then, were the windows open at the time, or were they locked? Also, you can get anti-climb paint to help stop people doing similar to what you described, but I suppose it can't be used in all situations.

• Advertisement

I think my point is that, a lot of ladder accessible windows are actually easier to reach than most people realise. Because they think they are difficult to reach people leave them open. I think sometimes leaving those windows out might make alarms more cost attractive but weaken the security.

Very true, paranoid that I am, unless i'm in a room I won't leave the window open, lol, that rule goes for candles as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I think it is very foolish to leave out windows upstairs. Cost should not be an issue here when the security of your house and family is at stake
    I have seen on a number of occasions people climbing up drain pipes to gain access to windows. One easy solution to this is to grease the pipes from 8ft up with vandal grease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

What contact sensors are people using and where do you source them?

Is there a sensor thats fits inside the ledge of the PVC windows?

Advertisement