Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G.P.A. assessment changed again.

Options
  • 20-11-2006 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

The situation with the GPA has changed again - just got a text from Brian Doyle. I think the new arrangement is much better for students.
    Did everyone get the text, or just class reps? Do I need to explain the new system?

EDIT: ~Will explain.
    It is now 50/50 or 33/66 depending on which works out better for the student. The 33% is from the best 6 modules of second year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

YAY!! i like the sound of that....seems a lot fairer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Far better arrangement. Excellent stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I support this change! It's definitely a lot fairer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Whats the change? I can't see it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Scraggs wrote:
    Whats the change? I can't see it...
    Basically what was written was that the College had backed down and said that the balance between Second and Third Year of the degree would either be the current 50/50 or a 33/67 balance, depending on which favoured the student more.

Obviously though Steve reckons something needs clarifying and doesn't want to give people false hope 'til he's sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Clarified, should be grand.

YAY!!! Delira!! Hope this is the case now The_Minister or I'll be having words with you for giving me a false sense of hope:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Scraggs wrote:
    YAY!!! Delira!! Hope this is the case now The_Minister or I'll be having words with you for giving me a false sense of hope:p
    APRIL FOOLS!!! Ha Ha ~BURNED~

j/k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Well, I'm not too pleased about this decision.

From reading the college rags last week calls for a change (dropping of Semester 1 GPA AFAIK) was brought about due to 2nd year students not being appropriately notified about the 50/50 scenario for their degree

Apparently this was unfair on poor 2nd year students because they would have worked/studied/gone to lectures otherwise if they had known (for the record i knew about this at week 1)

I can tell you for a fact since the notification of the new GPA weighting in week 7 by letter and email, in my lectures, attendance has fallen

One subject went from about 70% attendance to no more than 50% on average
    the other subject from about 50% to no more than 25% on average

I attended a lecture today (in Week 11) with 2 people in it, me and another person out of a module of 20 students, this lecture has never been atteneded by less than 6 students

By logical reasoning it should be the other way round since ''this is your degree now!!'' and all that

I had a big debate about this with a couple of friends last week who said the new weighting and lack of notification was unfair, they havent been to a lecture since

Poor second years? My hole.

The college messed up sure, but the this whole ''unfair'' argument is a pile of crap as far as I'm concerned. These are 2nd year students, treating 2nd years like poor babies is laughable. Notification or zero notification, it would have made no difference to most 2nd year students attitudes. I feel this change is playing into the hands of the slackers and is putting people like myself who has worked my ass off so far this year at a disadvantage.

Wrong call, it should have remained 50/50 from my perspective, if you do well from this then good for you but I feel I'm gaining nothing from this change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I can tell you for a fact since the notification of the new GPA weighting in week 7 by letter and email, in my lectures, attendance has fallen

Yeah they're studying in the library aren't they :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Chakar wrote:
    Yeah they're studying in the library aren't they :rolleyes:

Yes exactly, lets go to library to study for something I've never gone to a lecture for!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Wrong call, it should have remained 50/50 from my perspective, if you do well from this then good for you but I feel I'm gaining nothing from this change.

Well just to be clear it's 50:50 overall or 33% based on your best 6 modules this year, whichever works out to be higher at the end of 3rd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sounds like a big bowl of sour grapes from Zane.

Look, they're not being treated like babies, the people who don't turn up don't matter to you in the slightest. The way in which the thing has been amended isn't going to help them that much at the end of the day, if they never turn up. Be it 50% or 67%, if it's a percentage of nothing it's still nothing. Worry about yourself, let them take care of themselves, nothing more to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

By logical reasoning it should be the other way round since ''this is your degree now!!'' and all that

I had a big debate about this with a couple of friends last week who said the new weighting and lack of notification was unfair, they havent been to a lecture since

umm... go screw yourself?

Personally my attendance had dropped in a couple of classes because i found out that the essays i had due in 2/3/4 days were worth a tangible percent of my degree, so i had to panickedly improve and put all the time i could into them, rather than just submitting a "pretty good" essay. Maybe other people gave up. Who knows!?
    Either way it made a clear difference to people's attitudes. Everyone was annoyed and scared, overshadowed with a sense of doom or pressure to excel that should slowly build up towards the concluding years and months of your college years, rather than being spread evenly throughout the entire thing.

33%... i can live with it. Though i'd like that same weighting placed on the semesters of this year, given the lack of notification.

Also; yay!

I have to post again I'm so delighted! This has really eased a huge weight off my shoulders and I'm literally bounding around Roebuck with happinness.

Does anybody know if all the 2nd and final year modules we do go on our final degree transcript yokey or is it just the ones that account for our final GPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

None of ye are being clear on this-who does it affect? Is it just another "oh no somethings happening in the biggest faculty thats also happening in the other facultys... but this one is bigger"?
    The papers were already misleading enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

Apparently this was unfair on poor 2nd year students because they would have worked/studied/gone to lectures otherwise if they had known (for the record i knew about this at week 1)
    I found out about this 2 weeks ago. As far as i know my head hasnt been stuck in the sand for the last couple months. Would dropping an email have been too much to do?

Im still a little confused btw, if 2nd years worth 33%(or 50%) and 3rds years worth the rest. Whats 4th year good for?
    I really dont get this much as im sure you can tell and the more i read in the papers the more confused i got (like gubbie). In the papers they mentioned comp sci students but then also mentioned 3rd year as the final year?

I don't think it applies to 4 year courses, BK!
    Can't say for certain though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Now, now, I'm sure students in four year degree courses will be informed of degree weighting, oh, about 1/4 though their 3rd year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Well, I'm not too pleased about this decision.

From reading the college rags last week calls for a change (dropping of Semester 1 GPA AFAIK) was brought about due to 2nd year students not being appropriately notified about the 50/50 scenario for their degree

I attended a lecture today (in Week 11) with 2 people in it, me and another person out of a module of 20 students, this lecture has never been atteneded by less than 6 students

The college messed up sure, but the this whole ''unfair'' argument is a pile of crap as far as I'm concerned. These are 2nd year students, treating 2nd years like poor babies is laughable. Notification or zero notification, it would have made no difference to most 2nd year students attitudes. I feel this change is playing into the hands of the slackers and is putting people like myself who has worked my ass off so far this year at a disadvantage.

I am being serious here... take legal advice. There has to be certain criterean applied to measure a persons knowledge against courses... if they(college authorities) keep shifting the criteria how can you study the course? Hugh Brady.... camp outside his gaff .... you may get answers between baton charges.

• Advertisement

Blush_01 wrote:
    Sounds like a big bowl of sour grapes from Zane.

Look, they're not being treated like babies, the people who don't turn up don't matter to you in the slightest. The way in which the thing has been amended isn't going to help them that much at the end of the day, if they never turn up. Be it 50% or 67%, if it's a percentage of nothing it's still nothing. Worry about yourself, let them take care of themselves, nothing more to worry about.

You've kinda missed my point. Ok it may sound like i'm losing sleep over this, (i'm not! :) ) I don't care what other students do or don't do but in the instance where some students (i.e. the ones who've done nothing so far) are gaining an advantage I've got a reason to have a gripe. If everything was fair and square then surely some students would have a similar option to choose 66% from 2nd year and 33% from 3rd year? The rules were bent here for a grey pseudo argument which bothers me more than anything.
    passive wrote:
    umm... go screw yourself?

Nah..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

If zane bothered to be informed, and worked hard all year, its NOT fair that he should be reduced to only 33% for this year.

But if I am reading this correctly, he can still get 50%, its going to be an option thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

He's not being reduced to 50%. What about the people who ARE going to class, who ARE making a conscious effort to do their coursework and who WEREN'T aware of the lie of the land, the way Zane appears to have been since the beginning of term? Those people deserve a fair chance, regardless of what the rest of the year have been doing. I'd be pretty stressed out if I found out my work was worth more of my degree than I had been told previously at this point of the year, if I was a 2nd year. That stress would probably effect the work I was doing now, at the most important part of the semester. Just because some people are idiots doesn't mean that hypothetical Úna should be punished for their stupidity, does it?

Email, probably sent to all affected students...
    Dear Student

Please note that following discussion at the BA programme board, honours
    in the BA, BSocSci, BA (Computer Science) and related BA programmes will
    be calculated based on the best 6 modules from Stage 2, and ALL modules
    from Stage 3, with the modules equally weighted
    . This one-off
    arrangement applies to students currently in Stage 2 ONLY.

Yours faithfully

Danielle Clarke
    Bairbre Redmond

Vice-Principals
    College of Arts and Celtic Studies/College of Human Sciences
    University College Dublin
    Dublin 4

No sign of a 50/50 GPA calculation as was originally stated.

I'll have to take up Boneless' advice now

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

so...we DON'T have the 50/50 option also? ...it has to be 33/67.......hmmmm......

No sign of a 50/50 GPA calculation as was originally stated.

I'll have to take up Boneless' advice now

:mad: :mad: :mad:
    Sorry if I'm being totally thick here but is this arrangement still not a good thing for you Zane if you have been working your arse off? Like if you do well in this semesters 6 modules then you have less pressure in semester 2... Or if you do badly [unlikely of course] then you have the chance to catch up in semester 2.

Scraggs wrote:
    Sorry if I'm being totally thick here but is this arrangement still not a good thing for you Zane if you have been working your arse off? Like if you do well in this semesters 6 modules then you have less pressure in semester 2... Or if you do badly [unlikely of course] then you have the chance to catch up in semester 2.

It really depends on who you are Scraggs. TBH I hated the whole 50/50 GPA when i first heard about it but i've come to the conclusion that it suits me individual strengths better (i.e. I'm better at coursework than I am at exams and I can't take a tonne of pressure at once) Fact is there's a bigger load of pressure on you in 3rd year with it being 67%, the even spacing out over 2 years spreads out the stress and the loads. I've got a few rotten looking modules in 3rd year and with this new arrangment there's going to be modules I do this semester that will count for nothing, some of these i've been in the frame of mind that they're counting towards my overall degree, that's unfair no matter which way you look at it

I've got my Geography Stage 2 Course guide infront of me which we all got on day 1 and it categorically states on the front page that ''it is important to give equal time and attention to your courses this year, because (a) Stage 2 results are used by some as a criterion for graduate admission and (b) because your Stage 2 grades will now contribute to 50% of your final GPA'':that's 270 students who knew about the 50/50 GPA arrangement on day 1 accounted for.

to take the 50/50 option away is truly unfair on students who have worked and knew about it, I've replied to the email and i can only hope they've made another fcuk up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

i'm not happy about this either, i preferred it 50/50 since i crack up at exam time and do quite badly. i know a good few people who preferred it 50/50.
    i worked hard so far this term & now only half it will count for the degree! whats the point in doing the other 6 exams then??
    i got the email too, and it doesn't mention that theres the option of 50/50 at all.:mad:

Hmmm, that email mentions nothing about BA Comp Sci 4th year. For god's sake :rolleyes:
    Taking away the 50/50 option at this stage would be absolutely ludicrous. In fact, during an economics lecture today Paul Lynham came in and informed us that the 50/50 calculation had been switched to either 33/66, or 50/50 depending on which is better. I can only hope that there's been a mistake in the email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

2nd Year only counts for 19% of my final GPA.. but then again I'm a special case.

Advertisement