Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice

Options
  • 20-11-2006 4:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We seem to have mice in my flat. One was spotted about 5 weeks ago, and then disappeared. It reappeared in my flatmate's room last week, and there was another one in the kitchen. It was then spotted the next day in the kitchen, and later on in the living room (although we think it panicked when we saw it and it just ran, ending up in the living room).

My flatmate insists on recycling, so there was a big box on the kitchen floor, full of recycling. She hadn't emptied it in about a month, so I think that might have attracted them. When she emptied it, I noticed that there was some cereal at the end of the box. I threw the whole thing out, disinfected the floor and set traps. Since there, I haven't seen any mice and there's been none caught.

What are the chances that they've just gone away? I'm in a big tenement-style building, so the mice can presumably travel within the whole building, maybe along the whole road. What more can we do to stop them coming in? They appear to be entering and exiting from behind the fridge. We've blocked it up as best we can with steel wool, but there's a lot of space still. Can mice get through styrofoam?

What's the best bait to use? I had peanut butter down, but it caught nothing. I've replaced it with bits of apple now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Chocolate is the best form of bait in my experience. Regarding the styrofoam, i'm pretty sure your new friends won't have a problem getting threw it as they have great teeth. Just make sure you leave nothing that can attract them back such as waste food or packets on the counter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd probably end up eating the bait if it was chocolate! How determined are mice, though? I mean, if they encountered resistance like styrofoam, is there any chance that they'd just give up?

I can't sleep at night because I think I can hear them in my room :(.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I suppose if they think theres a good meal at the other end they'll keep at it. I wouldn't really worry about hearing them in your room, its when you don't hear them that i'd be worried (Just don't sleep with your mouth open :D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll second the chocolate suggestion - mice just love the stuff.

Here's some suggestions I got when I'd a mice problem earlier this year > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054904769&referrerid=&highlight=mice

I take it that yours are gone now, crosstownk?

I might try metal traps tomorrow. The problem is, I don't know if somebody in another apartment has already killed them, or if they're super intelligent and know that the traps are there!

• Advertisement

Yep - all gone now. I'd loads of them - they usually appear a few at a time. I moved into a house that had been vacant for some time, and when I moved in I got the place rewired and the electrician used leave the hall door and garage door open all day so thats how they got in. I caught a good few then in the end I had to get an exterminator who put down poison. Mouse free since.......................fingers crossed still.....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,450 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its very hard to block up the holes. because they will find the smallest gaps ever and get throught. If you block them up, they will just find new ones.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Raw bacon makes good bait so, chocolate cover raw bacon ftw. Chances are they're living in somebody elses apartment by now, if you suspect they're gone don't put down the traps you might only attract them back. Keep all the recycling in a good bin in future :)

BTW, tell you're flatmate you can't recycle cereal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

delly wrote:
    (Just don't sleep with your mouth open :D).
    Isn't that more stoat territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Faith wrote:
    I'm in a big tenement-style building, so the mice can presumably travel within the whole building, maybe along the whole road.
    What's the best bait to use? I had peanut butter down, but it caught nothing. I've replaced it with bits of apple now.

Get onto the management company or whoever looks after the whole building, there is no point just gettin rid of them from your apt. the chances they are all over the building and will keep coming back. Rentokill or similar need to treat the whole building !

• Advertisement

There is no management company, as far as I know. All the apartments are just privately owned.

I caught one last night, so I'm happy about that! Hopefully, there's only one left.

Mice are an extremely common problem in buildings like mine, so I'm not particularly worried. At least if I've seen them, others probably have too, and most apartments probably have traps down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

I have mice myself at the moment and it is driving me mad, they are waking me up everynight. I don't know if they are in the attic or the walls. I have only seen one and that was in the en-suite about 2 weeks ago. I have put down nine traps with chocolate and bacon since then and I have not caught one.

I am contemplating getting rentokill out.

You need to make sure they're not getting food anywhere else, otherwise they won't go to the trap. Check all your presses make sure they're not getting in the back. Check your hotpress too, if they're in the ensuite then they'e probably running along the pipework.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

Had a visitor recently ourselves. First thing Monday morning we discovered lovely dropping on worktop in presses floor etc.
    Went to work and set traps in the 'dark' of presses and along skirtings.
    the best place to put traps is supposed to be along walls (as they tend to scurry along close to the wall)
    came home from work and mouse was caught.

My mother had two mice in her house recently and we put traps along the wall with a shoe box to make them separate them from the room- to provide cover- caught both.

We used toast crumbs as bait, also read somewhere that warmed or roasted oatmeal attracts them .

The cheapo classic style snap your fingers wooden traps are best.
    ~We have been setting these and the fancy expensive plastic ones and have found the old style ones to be best.

Lifted up some floor boards this evening while redecorating a room and found a glue trap that I put down 6 months ago, complete with dead mouse and dead maggots stuck to the glue:eek: . Jebus, I nearly puked.

good news, I got one today. Went home from work at lunch and checked all the traps. Guess where I got it? the hotpress?

I would love to believe there only was one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

One suggestion if you are blocking holes: steel wool. you can get it in the hardware shop. I hear from the experts that they don't much like chewing through that ...

I've still to catch the second one. There hasn't been much evidence of it since the first one was caught, but I think I saw some poo on top of the washing machine yesterday. It was only there, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,780 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We've caught five of the buggers in the past week. One in the kitchen & four in the hot press.

I've loaded all of our traps with pieces of Mars bars. The chocolate definitely attracts them & the caramel helps stick the chocolate to the trap. Sometimes the pesky creatures can get it off the trap if it is not secured properly. Rolos are also good bait.

my hope of there only being one was to be short lived, the little bastards woke me at 5am this morning. I'm declaring an all out war on Mice!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

what do people do with the bodies when you catch them? Where's best for disposing of them and do you reuse the trap or just get rid of it with the victim?

Am planning me a bit of a mouse killing spree.

I just threw the trap and the mouse in a bag and put it in the bin outside. I was laughing at a mate of mine who says he re-uses traps. They are about 80 cent each plus who want to have pull the metal back off a dead mouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Hill Billy wrote:
    We've caught five of the buggers in the past week. One in the kitchen & four in the hot press.

I've loaded all of our traps with pieces of Mars bars. The chocolate definitely attracts them & the caramel helps stick the chocolate to the trap. Sometimes the pesky creatures can get it off the trap if it is not secured properly. Rolos are also good bait.

I got five myself in my last house.It was a definite family i caught over a week long hunting.:p and all were different sizes.
    Mice are not rouges they are usually in a family,if you see one the chances are that you might see a second or third.
    But in a flat/tenament building etc,it is a bigger area and might be more spread throughout.

Another two yesterday - both in hot press.
    It looks like the critters are getting in from the attic next door.
    Thought of trying the "mint" solution in the HP, but am concerned that this will just move the mice elsewhere.
    Don't want to poison the fcekers & have to deal with the smell.
    Any more ideas?

@ Hill Billy, you might need to talk to the pro's, sounds like a bit of a problem. Can you seal your neighbours attic from your own?

Sparks400 - Our house is a 160-year-old mid-terrace stone cottage. The roof-space was originally shared between all properties in the terrace. When I renovated my place I put in fire-breaks on both sides & sealed my roof-space off.

Still, those little critters can get through a hole the size of a pencil.
    Or may have eaten through the expandy-foam filler.
    Or may be coming up through spaces between the stones in the party walls.

I have to say that the neighbours are having a rougher time of it with the mice. I may have a chat with the neighbours about us clubbing together to get the exterminators in.

Tis strange though - we've not had as bad a problem with mice since we moved in over two years ago. Up until a week ago we only caught one & that was over a year ago.

maybe there is a bit of plague of them this year!

Where are you Hill Billy? I am in Balrothery. I bought a couple of traps in Balbriggan yesterday and the chap in Chorrs said there is a lot of people coming in for traps this year i.e. more than usual.

I'm a mile & a half up the road from you at the gates to Ardgillan.
    Even the neighbours - who've been living there all their lives - are astonished at the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is there a lot of new buildings, i.e. Houses, going up around where you live? Actually, what a silly question. You live in Dublin, of course there is!! :D

Anyway, older houses always tend to get these mini-plagues of mice whenever there's new builds going up near by. Generally it dies down after a short while.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Is there a lot of new buildings, i.e. Houses, going up around where you live? Actually, what a silly question. You live in Dublin, of course there is!! :D

Anyway, older houses always tend to get these mini-plagues of mice whenever there's new builds going up near by. Generally it dies down after a short while.

No new buildings. The closest building work is almost 2 miles away where dubmick lives. Just lots of fields & parkland around me.

Advertisement