Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation on my wooden floor

Options
  • 20-11-2006 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    We were alarmed to notice that we have a serious condensation problem on the patio door in our kitchen/dining room.
    On the fixed half of the patio door, drops of water form on the glass and make their way down to the "ledge" of the frame a couple of inches off the ground, where we see a layer of water drops along the length of it every day (which we wipe up every time we see it.) But the water is clearly making it onto the floor too, as there are stains forming on the wooden floor planks and advancing from the patio door into the room. The stains are dark brown, which I initially thought was just wet on the wood, but we now suspect is actually dye running off our woodgrain effect PVC patio door!
    No amount of ventilation in the room appears to be able to stop this.
    We have checked around the house and we do have a lot of condensation build-up on our windows, but this just settles in the window tracks and doesn't go anywhere, whereas on our patio door it's ruining the floor.

In our last house we also had a patio door beside a wooden floor, but I think in this case there was a bit of a track between the fixed part of the door and the floor, so condensation was probably dripping into that, but not onto our wood.

Any advice???
    Thanks,
    /M.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Yeah, I had this in my first house with the patio door, and the condensation slowly crept into the plasterboard at the edge of the door. The ventilation is the main thing, but you seem to have that covered. Other factors that may be an effect is if you are drying cloths in the room, or using a tumble dryer in a nearby room. You could also get a dehumidifier which may help the situation.

Advertisement