Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Question am I getting Shafted

Options
  • 20-11-2006 5:27pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I am in the BT 3meg DSL package, on friday night my connection went down and I was unable to get the dsl sync light to stay on. On saturday I ring up and BT say there is a line fault and will do full tests on monday, so I ring up today to see what the story is and they are saying I have gone over my limit by 1 gig and have cut me off till the 1st Dec do you think this is the answer

Many thanks
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Sounds dodgy, not heard of folks getting cut off...they usually throttle you. I'd say they are talking BS, 1GB is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I doubt if being cut off for going over the cap would result in loosing DSL sync. You should still have sync but your log in would be blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If you went over your limit as a result of downloaded, shall we say, "dodgy" software etc, then you may want to keep it to yourself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TCP/IP, it does sound abit strange, perhaps ring them account and ask to speak to a Team Leader to confirm yopur account status since you've been told conflicting info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I've been cut off one month (last May? - not sure) for the last 2 or 3 days, when a bunch of ppl got the same. I haven't exceeded the cap since.

on BT 2 meg btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

rocky wrote:
    I've been cut off one month (last May? - not sure) for the last 2 or 3 days, when a bunch of ppl got the same. I haven't exceeded the cap since.

on BT 2 meg btw.
    Did the modem lose DSL sync?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT could throttle or cut off at the ip port level but not by denying dsl synch.

A synch from the eircom dsl gear in your local exchange to your modem issue could be any of

1. The lightning around on friday bricked it or bricked a filter.
    2. line fault of some sort , maybe related.
    3. interference from somewhere external , neighbour bought a video sender in Aldi possibly :D

best go down your local pc world and buy an eircom (orange box) starter pack modem and filters for €25 and see if that helps . simply enter your user@btbb.net and password (and maybe a bt dns like 194.125.2.240 ) and it will work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

TCP/IP wrote:
    Hi there

I am in the BT 3meg DSL package, on friday night my connection went down and I was unable to get the dsl sync light to stay on. On saturday I ring up and BT say there is a line fault and will do full tests on monday, so I ring up today to see what the story is and they are saying I have gone over my limit by 1 gig and have cut me off till the 1st Dec do you think this is the answer

Many thanks
    TCP/IP

If you have gone over by 1GIG then yes plain and simple they nailed you. You must be killing bit torrent ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Went and bought a new router to make sure mine was not faulty and that would not sync either. The worst thing is I know I am getting shafted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT cannot influence the synch between you and the exchange like I said, they can throttle on the TCP level only (beyond the exchange) but your problem is between you and the exchange somewhere.

The cap is a red herring at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As per what Sponge Bob said, if they suspended your account then your line would still sync....you just wouldn't be able to login, your line will not sync if their is a actual fault or they or eircom have ceased your broadband service.

Get onto them and get them to look into the matter further.
    Sizzler wrote:
    If you have gone over by 1GIG then yes plain and simple they nailed you. You must be killing bit torrent ;)

1GB isn't that much in a month, you could very easily hit 1GB a day by just viewing HD trailers on the quicktime site :)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

cheers lads its a real pain in the ass. I have logged a fault on-line with them so I will see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

kaizersoze wrote:
    Did the modem lose DSL sync?

From what I recall, no. Only denied the login with the user/password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

TCP/IP wrote:
    gone over my limit by 1 gig and have cut me off till the 1st Dec do you think this is the answer

i despair when i hear customers being treated like that. its horrible i'd ring up and ask to speak to a supervisor, only thing for it. as the guys said they didnt actually cut you off but are using this as an excuse cause they cant be bothered fixing it. you'll se on december 1st when you have to log a service call to get it fixed

absolutely shocking, sympathies to you mate

***I am on NTL which is not great but mental note..never go with BT**

Advertisement