Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New extension needs light

Options
  • 20-11-2006 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've extended my kitchen out to the side and back. Unfortunately, this has left the "old" part of the kitchen very dark (its all north east facing). I was looking at getting suntubes to bring light into the old kitchen area. However, my roofer said he would have doubts that they could light up the space (12 ft x 21 ft). He suggest putting in a south facing velux roof light and lining the tunnel through the roofspace with mirrors to reflect the light. As its a kitchen, he said he would seal the lower end of the tunnel with a sheet of glass held in place by architrave.

This sounds good in principle and might make a nice feature as it would come down over the new island unit - if it works.

Has anyone done something similar as its decision time this week vis-a-vis suntubes v the velux mirror tunnel affair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why is he sealing it with glass at the bottom?
    I've heard good stories about sun tubes, but never used them. I liked the fact that a light fitting could be mounted inside it so you still get lifgt at night.
    But Velux windows are tried and tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

He's sealing it with glass at the bottom to prevent dirt, smoke and grease from the kitchen travelling up what will be a long tunnel and dirtying the mirrors and velux window. Otherwise, I'd have to try to manouver a ladder up a 16ft long tunnel to clean the glass and trying not to break the mirrors in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Dave, I have a couple of sun tubes installed and although they provide a good level of light I'm not sure they provide enough light for use in a kitchen especially on a dull winters day. Mine provide light to a central corridor and they are adequate for that purpose and they act as normal lights at nightime.

I'm just wondering why you would line the velux tunnel with mirrors. It sounds like a good idea but I have my doubts. Would you not just paint the tunnell white. That should be adequate to reflect most of the light down the tube. Mirrors would be expensive and even if the tunnell is sealed they will still have to be cleaned occasionaly because of insects and condensation.

Hi Squire

It was the roofer who suggested that I line the tunnel with mirrors to reflect the light down into the kitchen. He said he's done this before and it works well. I did point out to my "architect" that light in the existing kitchen would be a problem when the extension was built but he dismissed my concerns and said everything would be fine. He subsequently pissed off after he got his fee and now I'm left with a very dark kitchen that will annoy the hell out of me unless I can get it fixed somehow.

I don't know anyone with a velux "tunnel" and I'm concerned that most of the light wouldn't get through to the room where its needed. Thats why the idea of mirrors reflecting the light sounds good (in theory anyway).

BTW, I want to get a sun tube for an internal corridor measuring 4 feet wide x 18 feet long. Where did you get your from and how many did you order?

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Architechts:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054846325&referrerid=59211

This thread should have some useful information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Neverends

I'm not sure if this is the same as you're talking about but we have a roof velux lighting our landing so theres a !tunnel" of about 4-5 feet between the velux and the landing ceiling. Its just painted white and because its a large velux it lets in loads of light. Mirrors might look a bit odd? Be good if you could see a photo of it before going for it? I've heard those skytubes get really dirty after a while but thats just word of mouth.

As I live in a bungalow, the tunnel would pass through the roof space of approx 8 - 9 feet from the velux to the kitchen ceiling. This would be a large hole in the ceiling which would undoubtably attract the dirt and grease that comes with cooking. It would also be a pain having to clean/paint it every couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

He's sealing it with glass at the bottom to prevent dirt, smoke and grease from the kitchen travelling up what will be a long tunnel and dirtying the mirrors and velux window. Otherwise, I'd have to try to manouver a ladder up a 16ft long tunnel to clean the glass and trying not to break the mirrors in the process.

You mean the roof is 16ft above the kitchen ceiling? thats 16ft of seriously wasted space!

[Edit]

Ah I see you've revised the numbers, the closer the velux is to the side of the house the closer to the kitchen ceiling it will be. So unless your kitchen is in the middle of the house I can't see why it would be 8-9 feet above the kitchen ceiling. You should be able to get it within a foot or two at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Maybe this is a ridiculous idea, but why not put in two or three or four or more sun tubes? I can't see that sun tubes would be any less efficient than a mirrored velux shaft, it might be more efficient. It would almost certainly be an awful lot less expensive. Dealing with all those mirrors is not going to be cheap!

Have not done this myself, so don't give my comments too much weight.

Advertisement