Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Add/Remove will not remove software

• 20-11-2006 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hey all,

I am having trouble with a software package for a multimeter, FlukeView Forms v3.1.

A user here tried to install the software and in only installed 90% approx of the software and then hung.

I tried to reinstall the software unistall the software but I am getting the follow error message;

Severe

ABORTING INSTALLATION

Information in the Windows Registry for the currently installed version of FlukeView has been corrupted.

Please go to "Add/Remove Programs" in the windows Control Panel, remove FlukeView from your computer, and then return to this installation program.

I tried to remove through add remove but no joy. Any thoughts on how I might get around this?

I would appreciate any help cheers.

sorry I have also used EasyCleaner to have a a look at the registry and again no joy. I cannot find this software package in the program files fold or in the registry at all.

j

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Depending on the OS you are using, have you tried doing a system restore to a time that the Software wasnt installed?
    Or have you tried the standard reboot?
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

XP pro sp2 is the os.

System restore is not really an option as other software has been set up in the mean time and configured for this specific machine, and the user installed it first about 2.5 weeks ago.

I tried the standard reboot too. Not much happened there.

Did I meantion that the app appears in Add/Remove but nowhere else? Odd.

j

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try reinstall as admin , then uninstall
    try install/uninstall in safe mode, try AV off

IMHO the quality of uninstall routines leaves a lot to be desired

try msicuu - but may have to install the bork ware first
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

there are apps that will clean up the add/remove list , but that doesn't clean up the rest of the registry

Fluke charge enough for their meters, check their web site (updates ?) / check their technical support ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

Take this advice under advisement - it has however gotten me out of a couple of scrapes when prior (botched) installs/uninstalls prevented an app going onto a system.

1) In registry, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

2) locate offending app and then either ...

3a) Run the uninstall command (as specified in the UninstallString key), or (worst case scenario)...
    3b) Remove the branch-point of the application under this part of the registry.

4) Install the app again.

If any Windows gurus feel like telling me how this procedure is a bad idea, please do (I'm more of a Unix person, so I'm open to correction on the above). Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

cormy wrote:
    Take this advice under advisement - it has however gotten me out of a couple of scrapes when prior (botched) installs/uninstalls prevented an app going onto a system.

1) In registry, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

2) locate offending app and then either ...

3a) Run the uninstall command (as specified in the UninstallString key), or (worst case scenario)...
    3b) Remove the branch-point of the application under this part of the registry.

4) Install the app again.

If any Windows gurus feel like telling me how this procedure is a bad idea, please do (I'm more of a Unix person, so I'm open to correction on the above). Cheers.
    I'm not sure that alone will solve anything, since all that entry does is point to the uninstaller application. Perhaps removing that entry, then deleting the folder the application was trying to install into, and maybe clearing the temporary files in case there was a log being kept of the installation progress, then try installing again.

jaarius, do you know if the installer is MSI based, or using a third party installer? It might say somewhere on the installer window what suite was used to create it.

• Advertisement

Hey Aidan,

I can't find where it mentions if the installer is MSI based or otherwise.

I found a machine here with a copy of this installed and working and import the registry and got a little farther but I am now encourtering a whole new obstacle.

Setup Program Internal Error: Unable to set the NTFS file permissons for C:\ProgramFiles\Fluke\FlukeViewForms

Internal Error Number: 3
    Internal Error Message: The system cannot find the path specified

Continuing with installation

I clicked OK and got

Setup Program Internal Error: Unable to rename file fast.fdb as sample.fdb in C:\ProgramFiles...

I clicked OK and

Setup Program Internal Error: Unable to rename file fast.fdb as sample_1653.fdb in C:\ProgramFiles...

um... help.

j

Huzzah for cheating!

I copied of the files required from the other machine and chose the modify option from and it installed the sw.

I have no idea how this all went wrong but this machine is problematic.

I think I am going to do some spring cleaning.

I really appreciate the help lads.

Another one I can strike off the list... sort of. :rolleyes:

j

Advertisement