Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive problem

Options
  • 20-11-2006 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

I have Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB SATA 8MB 7200RPM drive and lately it started to make stange noise.Is there any software to test it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Google for PowerMax 4.23

It is a maxtor application.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

Note: PowerMax v 4.21 will not detect ATA or SATA hard disks connected to embedded or add in RAID controllers, NVIDIA Force 4, VIA KT 600 and KT800 chipsets. If the hard disk is connected to an unsupported controller, it will have to be moved to an alternate ............
    My mobo is Asus a8n-sli,its n-force chipset.........any other sugestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

If the drive is still working but making noise, you should probably be backing up anything important on it and looking for a new drive
    If windows is still working speedfan will give you the s.m.a.r.t values for the hard disk, gives it a health rating, and temperature. Won't do a scan of the disk though
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Noise is coming only at startup-in windows mostly its sounds ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Take NO chances. Back it up now while you have a chance. I would never trust a drive that is unnaturally noisy.

Cal.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies lads,I'd say you right Cal-i will make all data backup....
    Good news -I just checked-it has Manufacturer's warrant- 36 mounth,so should i take my chances and send it back?

Advertisement