Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Council Motions, Mon 27th November 2006

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

gubbie wrote:

Edit to say-I've never dreaded a council. That was til now

Oh no gubs..why do you dread it?

Chakar personally I dont find the long motions with council notes etc easy to read. My motion is clearly split into two parts. The first paragraph is the background to the motion and why I think its important to bring to council. The second is what I hope will be dont in the union about these problems which can be easily dissected into two parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

panda100 wrote:
    Chakar personally I dont find the long motions with council notes etc easy to read. My motion is clearly split into two parts. The first paragraph is the background to the motion and why I think its important to bring to council. The second is what I hope will be dont in the union about these problems which can be easily dissected into two parts.

It is also about structure restricting a particular point to a sentence and leaving a space between that sentence and the next one.

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from doing this Elisa apart from good practice and structure but when I put a motion before the Council last year Dave Curran structured the motion for me as I didn't know how to structure it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

panda100 wrote:
    Oh no gubs..why do you dread it?
    Cos its gonna be really really long with all those motions and I've got 3 tests next week. I can say though that I'll be leaving early to put some whop ass into my demonstrator :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

You know so many people seem to fear and dread this type of council with so many motions it would nearly seem like a good idea to limit the number of motions per council. In saying that I'm sure I'll no doubt have serious opposition from those who enjoy lengthy councils but it does seem to rather fatigue members of council and have people leaving early.

Personally I'm almost glad I wont' be able to attend (still in Cork) but at the same time there is one motion I would have very much liked to have spoken against.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Panda, even if you dont want to put in council notes and council mandates and other jargon, it is essential that motions retain the ability to be taken in part. Without changing a single word, the motion should have looked like this:
    Council notes that body hatred, lack of self-esteem and the rise of eating disorders in the nation's youth are alarming national problems.

While there are many factors that instill a poor body image one of the main changeable factors is the continued use of unrealistic role models in advertising and the media today.

Poor self esteem in how you look can lead to many serious illnesses such as anorexia, bullimia, binge eating and depression.

In recent Union publications it is acknowledged that the Union has done outstanding work in using real students to advertise their events.

However there are still discrepancies where the Union are using sterotypical beautiful men and women wearing little to advertise events.

It is also noted that a students time at university is a time of not just academic but personal growth where men and women learn more about themselves and can learn to love the body they are in.

Therefore Council propose that to the best of their abilities and recources the Union uses all shapes and sizes of men and women's bodies in their publications and in advertising events.

If they feel that certain figures used in advertising an event may create a poor body image among students then alternate media images must be used.

Council also mandates that the Welfare Office runs a positive body image campaign campuswide to promote a happy and healthy body image for all students.

There is no extra jargon, just easier format to read and take in parts.

When written like that we can see there is a lot of unnecessary padding and a few paragraphs can be removed as they add nothing:
    Council notes that body hatred, lack of self-esteem and the rise of eating disorders in the nation's youth are alarming national problems.

While there are many factors that instill a poor body image one of the main changeable factors is the continued use of unrealistic role models in advertising and the media today.

In recent Union publications it is acknowledged that the Union has done outstanding work in using real students to advertise their events.

However there are still discrepancies where the Union are using sterotypical beautiful men and women wearing little to advertise events.

Therefore Council propose that to the best of their abilities and recources the Union uses all shapes and sizes of men and women's bodies in their publications and in advertising events.

Council also mandates that the Welfare Office runs a positive body image campaign campuswide to promote a happy and healthy body image for all students.

I think that a lot of motions that come before council are poorly written, like Butlers rossport one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Ah no im just saying that the sheer volume of ridiculous motions is well ridiculous. Leaving last year aside me thinks that several of the motions should get the old 9B in my humble opinion.

Motion Regarding Union Website
    JHJ/Enda Duffy. A great motion. No merger !!!

Motion Regarding Students Union Stance on Corrib Project
    John Butler/John Regan. Good Motion. Everybody should read yeaterdays Irish Independant, not the humble opinions of Gaz Barrett

Erection Of Monument. I say Amend It. Loads of good people from UCD have died. Many people still hold mixed views over the fight against Franco (the fascist)

Changes To Curricula
    Good Motion

Duct Tape/Beverage Tokens etc what a joke. Reminisent of last years Joke motion regarding Harry Potter

The rest of the motions should be deblt with by the Union anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Het-Field wrote:
    Everybody should read yeaterdays Irish Independant, not the humble opinions of Gaz Barrett

Amen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Chakar wrote:
    Amen
    I meant to say the VERY humble opinion of Gaz Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

jaysus RedEye you're giving me awful abuse over that motion :D There wasn't a single complaint about the language or structure of it the first time. What's changed in 4 weeks?

I did complain to you the first time, remember I was talking to those two med students in the arts block

• Advertisement

[edit] I quoted Het-Field thinking he was saying that the other motions shouldnt be motions, Im not actually sure thats what was meant anymore :confused:
    *remove quote
    [/edit]
    i dont agree.

I think that if you want a sabbat to do something you mandate them. In open council.

I dont believe in the, its common sense approach. Or most ppl would agree. If it is common sense, and most ppl agree, then it wont take much time at council.
    but im not going to make unfounded assumptions.

Kev thought most ppl would like the drinks motion, he thought Id back it. It was an assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Brenwatcher

Are you not making an unfounded assumption that u'll be elected president next year. redeye

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Are you not making an unfounded assumption that u'll be elected president next year. redeye
    He is making the assumption that people may consider him worthy to be President. There are many who do, and that is all that is required of a candidate.

That almost sounds like you're making a revelation!

I announced my candidacy on these boards a month ago, my friends (I know many of the posters here in real life Im glad to say) have known for longer.

As The_Minister said, deciding to run isnt the same as claiming victory, but I'm looking forward to giving it my all.
    Paddy for President!

Jemma, how are you living in Belgrove if you're a 4th year?:confused:

Not really much of your business Redeye is it! Seriously though if you want to br taken as a legit canidate for pres this year dont you think you should have been a little more cunning and done your homework on how to play student union politics??

Not really much of your business Redeye is it!
    Im a final year and applied for belgrove, i was told as a final yr I couldnt. So Im curious as to how you did. If you're the RA then we'll prob be meeting soon enough. I cant get any sleep!;)

Also, you cant really play the defensive card
    You A)Came looking for me and B) Seem to have a problem with me, but I dont know who you are*.
    Seriously though if you want to br taken as a legit canidate for pres this year dont you think you should have been a little more cunning and done your homework on how to play student union politics??

No. As sure as I was sure I was running I announced it, despite the advise of my cunning political aides:rolleyes:

I hate the petty SU B/S.

Does cunning mean phoney accounts, undermining the common good to score petty points, self publicising etc etc**?

Im not going to be cunning or decietful.
    Im not playing stupid politics games for a student union position.
    Ive been given sound advise from ppl in the know, and Ive turned it down.

Im running the type of campaign I want. If ppl dont want me as their President then I'll lose. Simple as. But Ive had it with all these friends comming out of the wood work trying to convince me not to run.

If ppl think that the only way to beat me is to play to my weaknesses fine, but to me that implies they have no strengths of their own.

In my opinion there are lots of things wrong with the SU, things that need changing.
    Im the most capable person for the job (of the 4 other ppl I think *might* run so far)
    And Im doing it for the right reasons. Because I love college and want to make students life better. Im not a careerist and Ive no idealistic plans for a social revolution.

*If you're a 4th eng student in belgrove :)
    **But if other ppl are resorting to this BS then I think my cadidacy is been taken quite seriously:)

Im a final year and applied for belgrove, i was told as a final yr I couldnt. So Im curious as to how you did. If you're the RA then we'll prob be meeting soon enough. I cant get any sleep!;)

Also, you cant really play the defensive card
    You A)Came looking for me and B) Seem to have a problem with me, but I dont know who you are*.

Well your name has been going around alrite though no-body in proper circles know who or what you are. you puzzle me I have to say but I seen your type before at many Union Election. Your the 'ordinary' man who runs, the non-union hack...have a look at the past records of pple like these and take that as a piece of advice from me( whay happened to them when they ran). I didnt come look for you I dont really care who you are to be honest but for the hell of it im giving you some wise words.

No. As sure as I was sure I was running I announced it, despite the advise of my cunning political aides:rolleyes:

I hate the petty SU B/S.

Does cunning mean phoney accounts, undermining the common good to score petty points, self publicising etc etc**?

Im not going to be cunning or decietful.
    Im not playing stupid politics games for a student union position.
    Ive been given sound advise from ppl in the know, and Ive turned it down.

Im running the type of campaign I want. If ppl dont want me as their President then I'll lose. Simple as. But Ive had it with all these friends comming out of the wood work trying to convince me not to run.

If ppl think that the only way to beat me is to play to my weaknesses fine, but to me that implies they have no strengths of their own.

In my opinion there are lots of things wrong with the SU, things that need changing.
    Im the most capable person for the job (of the 4 other ppl I think *might* run so far)
    And Im doing it for the right reasons. Because I love college and want to make students life better. Im not a careerist and Ive no idealistic plans for a social revolution.

*If you're a 4th eng student in belgrove :)
    **But if other ppl are resorting to this BS then I think my cadidacy is been taken quite seriously:)

1. yes I am who I say I am. im not some idiot hiding behind a false id.....And you wont ever meet me and you dont know who i am.

2. as for your little 'manifesto' above word to the wise, none of that will win you an election...in fact the opposite will....Im being nice here, perhaps too nice Paddy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Blush_01 wrote:
    Charlie "Whatshisface" was deliberate. I could not remember his name (because he's obviously so relevant to me, an ordinary member of the student population) and it was a device to illustrate that fact. Rather than being disrespectful of the man's memory (since he's so well remembered as is) it poked fun at the anally retentive manner in which his already lacking memory is being mandated to be celebrated by people who appear to have very little else to do than find politically driven nonsense to "entertain" reps at council with. I can't imagine the majority of UCD students would be in favour of a large amount of SU funds being contributed to remembering a guy who they feel totally and irreconcilably distanced from, or who they don't know existed. Had he been a UCD student when he died, he'd be covered under the other proposed monument to students who died while attending UCD. Instead he dropped out to pursue his political beliefs - fair play, but why should we care, really - and then died in battle. Unfortunate, but what does that have to do with us?

If that makes me disrespectful of the dead (and I can't see how it does) then so be it. The guy meant nothing to me, I mean him and his memory no ill will, but I also don't see why we should finance a memorial to him, and not do the same for the thousands of other ex-UCD students who have died in the past century. Would you consider that to be a realistic or even vaguely intelligent idea? I doubt so. But then again, maybe I'm not respecting your capacity to be an idealist either.

im not for the motion just so you know

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

1. yes I am who I say I am. im not some idiot hiding behind a false id.....And you wont ever meet me and you dont know who i am.
    And who do you say you are? An interested ordinary student? Are you sure? I'll tell you what, I'll give you one more try.

You can PM me if you don't want to out yourself here.

• Advertisement

Everyone is so suspicious on boards...I suppose ye must I m some Union Hack or something when I not.fact.....jeez harassment and Im only here 5 mins! all I wanted to do was question Paddy's motives for running and give some friendly advice! Im not attacking him or anything....The magic of a place like boards is that you can have a discussion with pple you might not talk to on a daily basis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Im being nice here, perhaps too nice Paddy.....

Honestly, I think you're being a knob (sorry).

You're talking a good game, but it seems to me that you're trying to gain credibility by speaking from the shadows (metaphorically) and portraying yourself as the wise man (/woman) who's seen it all before and everything is a cliché at this stage.

If the man wants to run, let him run. You seem to be so confident that he's going to crash and burn, why not just let him off. I'm sure you'd get some level of satisfaction from it anyway.

edit: sorry if i came on to strong. welcome to boards!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Brenwathcer, your 'friendly' advice better get much friendlier in that case.

Welcome to boards.

Well your name has been going around alrite though no-body in proper circles know who or what you are.

Another thing I hate. "Proper circles".
    I have great plans and great ideas, but Id prefer not to put them out there untill election time for obvious enough reasons. I was talking to one exec today who just would take no for an answer when it came to my manifesto.
    you puzzle me I have to say but I seen your type before at many Union Election. Your the 'ordinary' man who runs, the non-union hack...have a look at the past records of pple like these and take that as a piece of advice from me( whay happened to them when they ran).
    There is nothing ordinary about me. Im a rare speciality.
    What exactly puzzles you, Id love to clear up any ambiguities.
    I didnt come look for you I dont really care who you are to be honest but for the hell of it im giving you some wise words.
    Sorry for misjudging you, its just that two "outing" posts on two websites in a short space of time was more coincidence than I could take. Believe it or not but I have a proper campaign team and the rumours and info they give me would make any sane man paranoid, and I wasnt the most stable to begin with.:p
    1. yes I am who I say I am. im not some idiot hiding behind a false id.....
    But if you look around this forum and its history, you'll see a lot of SU ppl create phoney accounts here. Many officers read this board regularly (but post seldom (in their own name)).
    And you wont ever meet me and you dont know who i am.
    If you live in belgorove, its quite possible we'll meet. My gf lives there and Im always over there.
    If you see me say high, Im really nice in person I promise:D
    Seriously, I am.
    2. as for your little 'manifesto' above word to the wise, none of that will win you an election...in fact the opposite will....Im being nice here, perhaps too nice Paddy.....
    I do welcome all advise.
    Thats not my manifesto, I just want to make it clear what I stand for.
    If you ask anyone whos ever known me, Ive never compromised on principal to be popular.

I presumed you and "raised eyebow" were one and the same. Maybe I was wrong. Im not a one campaign man, I may not know what voters want, but I do know what I want to do. I want to run my campaign, my way, more than I want to get elected.:cool:

Well well thank you for the welcome, however dubious, perhaps Ill stay around a bit longer so. To address some of the issues here Im not ''from the shadows'' or any shadow and actually it upsets me to see pple ''crash and burn'' as you put it in elections. it's demoralising when you put in a great effort only to be rewarded with nothing...I just want to help Paddy thats all. I only want him to have a positive experience thats all.......

Redeye:

Raised eyebrow??? who?? what??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Well well thank you for the welcome, however dubious, perhaps Ill stay around a bit longer so. To address some of the issues here Im not ''from the shadows'' or any shadow and actually it upsets me to see pple ''crash and burn'' as you put it in elections. it's demoralising when you put in a great effort only to be rewarded with nothing...I just want to help Paddy thats all. I only want him to have a positive experience thats all.......

Fair enough, you're lucky I'm a trusting guy.

My....humblest of apologies. :cool:

it upsets me to see pple ''crash and burn'' as you put it in elections. it's demoralising when you put in a great effort only to be rewarded with nothing...I just want to help Paddy thats all. I only want him to have a positive experience thats all.......
    Thank you

However the past week has seen a lot of other people say some nasty things about and to me.

And its only november
    Redeye:

Raised eyebrow??? who?? what??
    someone over on the newswire, who was saying much the same as you.

edit:Anyway welcome to boards, its really cozy once you get to know everyone.

However the past week has seen a lot of other people say some nasty things about and to me.

Well paddy, welcome to politics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Well paddy, welcome to politics

More welcome to general life where you are the figurehead for something. Politics, yes but I'm in no way political in my figureheadedness (yes odd word) and i get that.

Advertisement