Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Council Motions, Mon 27th November 2006

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

To the best of my recollection
    Motion on creating a positive body image in Union publications: Withdrawn (due to the proposer not being in attendance)

Motion to ban Bebo from all Library computers: Passed

Motion Calling for Provision of Free Beverage Tokens After Each Council: Withdrawn (and I now understand why it was Proposed, and I offer Kev my appologies)

Motion Regarding the Refurbishment of the Trap: Withdrawn, but will be persued informally

Motion Regarding the Postering Regulations in UCD: Withdrawn

Motion Calling for the Introduction of Change Machines in the Library: Withdrawn, because I had no idea what Garry was doing, he wouldnt let me ask what he was doing either. Dave said he'll persue it anyway

Motion calling for an on campus campaign to raise awareness and campaign against changes to curricula across the university: Passed

Motion Regarding the collation of Council Mandates for the Last Three Years: Unheard I think

Motion Regarding the Erection of a Monument to Charlie Donnelly and Other Deceased Students of UCD: Withdrawn as the monument to Charlie was more important to Enda than the idea of a monument to "somebody of merit"

Motion Regarding Union Website: Defeated

Motion Regarding the Students' Union Stance on the Corrib Gas Project: Passed, but as I said poorly written and didnt have the desired effect, as I told John it wouldnt.

Motion to amend Standing Orders for the provision of a time limit for Motions passed By SU Council: Cant remember, deffered I think

Motion to amend the procedure for proposing Procedural Motion IX (a): Passed

A lot of these Im not sure on. Though Garry did as good a job as I probably could, it was a terrible meeting. 4 challenges to his decisions, overly lenghty, no order and at one stage he just started talking about a motion (which as the chair he cant do (without raising standing orders))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Motion Regarding the Erection of a Monument to Charlie Donnelly and Other Deceased Students of UCD: Withdrawn as the monument to Charlie was more important to Enda than the idea of a monument to "somebody of merit"

I think that's a bit of an unfair judgement. As I remember it it was withdrawn in protest of the council's overruling the chair's decision that the proposed ammendment negated the spirit of the motion.

Motion to amend Standing Orders for the provision of a time limit for Motions passed By SU Council: Cant remember, deffered I think

I think this one was defeated actually.

I asked enda, what was the spirit of the motion, a monument to a student of merit or a personal hero of his.

his response was that Mr Donnelly wasnt his personal hero, he was a great man who would be ashamed of council, and that if there isnt going to be a mention of him, then it defeats spirit of the motion.

My interpretation of that, who the monument was to was of paramount importance to Enda.
    I would like to point out, that I had no problem to a monument to Charlie Donnelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

just clarify that enda withdrew it in protest at the motion being butchered by council and being prevented from exercising his right to have the spirit of his motion voted upon, the motion didnt even match the title after the amendment was passed so shouldnt have been allowed the chair agreed with enda on this but was overruled by council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

just clarify that enda withdrew it in protest at the motion being butchered by council and being prevented from exercising his right to have the spirit of his motion voted upon, the motion didnt even match the title after the amendment was passed so shouldnt have been allowed the chair agreed with enda on this but was overruled by council.

Thats interesting but when John withdrew his motion Enda accused him on the newswire of being afraid that it would be defeated and not letting democracy take its course.

Enda's got double standards to be honest.And I think his action in withdrawing the motion even though it was going to honour the deaths of UCD students in wars was extremely irrational.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Enda does not post on these boards so he is not here to defend himself, so i suggest that you take the matter up with him personally.

however i will say this, John Withdrew his motion on deporation on the basis that it was unpopular with council. Enda on the otherhand withdrew his motion because he felt that the spirit had been negated as the ammendment was allowed to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

To the best of my recollection
    Motion on creating a positive body image in Union publications: Withdrawn (due to the proposer not being in attendance)

)

Yeah that was a bit unfortunate. Due to unforseen circumstances I just couldnt make it to UCD last night.
    did I miss much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Was something mentioned about broadband in the residences? Heard that it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

panda100 wrote:
    Yeah that was a bit unfortunate. Due to unforseen circumstances I just couldnt make it to UCD last night.
    did I miss much?
    Only a disgrace or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Only a disgrace or two.

tell me more........ :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭secrecy_ie

panda, will you get off the message boards and get back to studying!!! Ya lazy.......

Chris, Kate and Enda if your reading.
    The motion was withdrawn because enda believed its spirit had been changed. Of this we are all in agreement, yes?
    The substance changed was the reference to Charlie, so by deduction the spirit had more to do with Charlie than the idea of a monument.

Thats my interpretation, how would you define the spirit - and how it was contravened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Motion Regarding the collation of Council Mandates for the Last Three Years: Unheard I think

It was withdrawn as Sean Smyth was doing it anyway. Apparently he was starting that work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Raphael wrote:
    Was something mentioned about broadband in the residences? Heard that it was.

Well there was something in Dan's report about it. Can't remember what it said but the observer today said that Mervillle + Belgrove will have it in time for next semester. What I do remember from council is that what the SU will be trying to improve now is broadband access for off-campus students. I think the shops are going to stock those Irish broadband plug in wireless boxes because they are (supposedly) the easiest contract + installation-wise and are the most suitable provider for students in rented accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

dajaffa wrote:
    Well there was something in Dan's report about it. Can't remember what it said but the observer today said that Mervillle + Belgrove will have it in time for next semester. What I do remember from council is that what the SU will be trying to improve now is broadband access for off-campus students. I think the shops are going to stock those Irish broadband plug in wireless boxes because they are (supposedly) the easiest contract + installation-wise and are the most suitable provider for students in rented accommodation.
    That's what I'd heard, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I heard I featured in Council somehow...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

There was a lovely picture of you and the missus projected onto the big screen, the centrepieces of the new union website design. Expect calls from agencies any day soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Miss GAAfia

Errr.....shame? Don't worry I'm dealing with Patrick. He's currently #1 on the one bullet list abelard....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Errr.....shame? Don't worry I'm dealing with Patrick. He's currently #1 on the one bullet list abelard....:)

I hope I'm not on that list.:)

Seriously though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Gives me an idea for a new thread.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement