Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ps3 backward compatibility

• 20-11-2006 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Just read about the PS3 not working with up-to 300 old ps1/2 games.. Is this real or made up crap?

Here is the link:
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11/14/sony_ps3_sales_and_glitch/

Now I understand most people will have moved on from PS1 stuff but I wanted to ask.

Mod: if this has been asked (or discussed) before please delete, however the search didn't turn up anything.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,004 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It'd true although we can expect better compatibility with future firmware updates. The PS2 had a few problems with PS1 games as well. I know that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night had graphical glitches and rare squaresoft rez-a-like shmup Internal Section never worked for me on my PS2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,747 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I can't remember a single PS1 game I kept for playing after buying a PS2.
    So, on the off-hand chance I pick up a (sub-€400) PS3 in the future, it'll be for PS3 games methinks.
    YMMV

Forgot to add: Rez won't be near half-as-exciting! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

not everyones completed their whole ps2 collection, what we suppose to do with all the games ? also id want my street fighter 3 to work etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

no mention of what titles don't work? i'd say they're fairly obscure. ps3 ships with a ps2 chip in it, and gives it the same memory access so there's no issues with games that did "tricks" to look sexy (like what xbox360 suffered with on xbox compatability)

EDIT: check compatibility status here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well lets try and get the existing games to work properly first without getting into backward compatibility.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4971

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,004 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

no mention of what titles don't work? i'd say they're fairly obscure. ps3 ships with a ps2 chip in it, and gives it the same memory access so there's no issues with games that did "tricks" to look sexy (like what xbox360 suffered with on xbox compatability)

EDIT: check compatibility status here

Far from it. There are reports of quite a few classic and very popular games that don't work.

iregk wrote:
    Well lets try and get the existing games to work properly first without getting into backward compatibility.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4971

interesting read, certainly an issue if all this is true. hopefully now europe will have a proper upscaler. though surely if the tv doesn't handle 720p, the same issues would occur with a 360?
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    Far from it. There are reports of quite a few classic and very popular games that don't work.

just read up on the issue. turns out the chip they're using is a SCPH-75000 (used in the later models of the slimline silver ps2) and there's issues with some ps2 games (tekken5 being most notable) and some more ps1 games (resi2 and worms being most notable there). so basically, i don't think there's a work-around here.

unfortunate, but it doesn't affect me at all... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

interesting read, certainly an issue if all this is true. hopefully now europe will have a proper upscaler. though surely if the tv doesn't handle 720p, the same issues would occur with a 360?
    Nope, the 360 renders everything in 720p the scales it and outputs it at whatever resolution is selected in the Dash.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Nope, the 360 renders everything in 720p the scales it and outputs it at whatever resolution is selected in the Dash.

ah. haven't really explored it yet since i'm hd-less (not for long though :D). it does seem to be a game thing, rather then a ps3 thing though. rather then having the ps3 switch the options through, it asks the games to set the res for you, and this just wasn't implemented in launch titles properly.

luckily sony has planned firmware updates before christmas... maybe they'll sort this out.

ign give a link to sonys support site. you can enter the title of any ps1/ps2 game and it will tell you what, if any problems the game has when playing on ps3. there are a surprising amount of high profile games that suffer from graphical and sound glitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ah. haven't really explored it yet since i'm hd-less (not for long though :D). it does seem to be a game thing, rather then a ps3 thing though. rather then having the ps3 switch the options through, it asks the games to set the res for you, and this just wasn't implemented in launch titles properly.

luckily sony has planned firmware updates before christmas... maybe they'll sort this out.
    Its a PS3 limit that will have to be over come by devs. The PS3 has no built in scaler so devs have to make their games to play at any res they want supported. But AFAIK you can't render a game in 1080i without incurring the performance penalty associated with 1080p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Can you save PS1/2 games on to the hard-drive bit stupid if you couldn't but wouldn't suprise me it is sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,747 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

They'll have an adaptor for transferring saves -- obviously *not* free. So probably yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The vast majority of cases seem to be slight graphical glitches and it's not with a large number of games. Compared to the 360 it's an excellent backwards compatibility ratio. Even of the games the 360 was compatible with there are glitches in a lot of them, at least in my experience I've only played 2 games and both suffered from glitches - Jade Empire has completely messed up textures in one area of the game and Monkey Ball Deluxe is completely lacking in AI in monkey fight mode, computer controlled players just sit there and do nothing.

Of all the PS1 and PS2 games one that I definitely would want to keep for the future is Ico and there's glitches with that unfortunately, again it does work but it's glitchy. Hopefully they fix that, otherwise every game I care about seems to be covered nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

it does seem to be a game thing, rather then a ps3 thing though. rather then having the ps3 switch the options through, it asks the games to set the res for you, and this just wasn't implemented in launch titles properly.

Not the case. The games are coded for standard and above. The ps3 physically cannot upscale to 1080 so it renders downward instead. Maybe a future firmware update will solve the issue if possible. Knowing Sony they will have a hardware upscaler and charge you for it!

Advertisement