Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oh no..damage =(

Options
  • 20-11-2006 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

Ended up in a three lane roundabout on the left hand side like this:

|me| car |car|
    |car|truck|car|

So i indicate for the middle lane (we were stopped in traffic) and the traffic starts moving. I look over my shoulder and see the truck flash me so i move into the middle lane *WHAM* ..180wtruck plants me outta it :(

Now my pugs well damaged...

Quaterpanel below my petrol cap is bet into the wheel-arch..the wheelarch is now level over my wheel, so if i hit a nice bump, the wheel will rub clean off the underside of the arch..and my nice shiney new rear right morrette light got crushed (like it got squeezed till it popped) ..

I think i'd be at the wrong end of insurance too, even though he flashed me to let me go ahead...

Damn it all anyways *cries*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you have my sympathies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Ended up in a three lane roundabout on the left hand side like this:

|me| car |car|
    |car|truck|car|

So i indicate for the middle lane (we were stopped in traffic) and the traffic starts moving. I look over my shoulder and see the truck flash me so i move into the middle lane *WHAM* ..180wtruck plants me outta it :(

Now my pugs well damaged...

Quaterpanel below my petrol cap is bet into the wheel-arch..the wheelarch is now level over my wheel, so if i hit a nice bump, the wheel will rub clean off the underside of the arch..and my nice shiney new rear right morrette light got crushed (like it got squeezed till it popped) ..

I think i'd be at the wrong end of insurance too, even though he flashed me to let me go ahead...

Damn it all anyways *cries*

ouch is there much damage to the truck?sorry to hear that man.goes of to torch truck:D why did he flash you if he was that close r u sure he flahsed:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Car Mad wrote:
    ouch is there much damage to the truck?sorry to hear that man.goes of to torch truck:D why did he flash you if he was that close r u sure he flahsed:confused:

He'd flashed just as traffic started moving..I'm sure he flashed cause i stared over my shoulder as opposed to a glance in the mirror..

I'm gutted!

I've a feelin i know how insurance would play it out too...

Truck
    truck.jpg

My 206 with its rear light hanging off and bashed qpanel
    car.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why were you moving right towards the centre of the roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Don't admit liability to anything - he did hit you from behind after all

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

@kbannon

It's the weird roundabout type thing after the Chapilizod Bypass..

Left lane is the first exit or straight on to heuston, middle lane is straight on or 3rd exit (Suir Road onto Dolphin Road - where i was going) or right lane is 3rd exit (though ya gotta change lanes midway through the roundabout) or back where you came from...

I was in the wrong lane and needed to move to the center :)

@CrowdedHouse -> I didnt admit nothing and no witnesses stopped..i'm well raged though..i mean the damage is pretty extensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

CrowdedHouse: er... yea, but he pulled across in front of the truck, so the "he hit me from behind" defence doesnt work there

OP: sorry to hear, the damage looks nasty enough, reckon your right about insurance though, what did the driver of the truck say after he hit you?

If I get you correctly, you were coming in the n4 and were at islandbridge (where the gatso is).
    As you approach the buslane allows traffic turn left. The main two lanes are for heading towards the city. the overtaking lane separates to allow traffic drive around the roundabout for the SCR. Once traffic passes the lights it is presumably in the correct lane. Traffic heading for the SCR shouldn't be in the centre lane!
    From what I gather you tried changing into what was still the wrong lane.
    Still, the damage is done and thankfully nobody was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Might he have flashed you as in to say stay where you are, you're about to pull straight across me? Can't see how anyone would flash you to let you out and then keep driving as you crash into them??

Looks like a nasty bit of damage all the same.

kdouglas wrote:
    CrowdedHouse: er... yea, but he pulled across in front of the truck, so the "he hit me from behind" defence doesnt work there

OP: sorry to hear, the damage looks nasty enough, reckon your right about insurance though, what did the driver of the truck say after he hit you?

@kbannon -> Yep, going onto the SCR. You can branch off the centre lane and not go down toward heuston, at least thats my understanding of the thing, the whole yolk is a bit of a mess. Either way, i had to go over to the center lane to get to the right hand lane too..so i had no choice...

@kdouglas -> the "hit me from behind" wont work since i was changing lanes, the trucker was foreign so didnt say much except you here, i here, this my lane..no response when asked why did he flash...

I spoke to his boss, as opposed to him cause his english was terrible really :)

Insurance wont accept the whole "he flashed me" argument either, the legality of it isn't sound

All in all, a right mess, and at 20 years old and on a provisional license, i sure as hell could do without this

• Advertisement

I think it was a case he was impatient. He flashed me but the black car infront of him took it's time pulling off and i duly took my time in progressing into the centre lane, could be a case that as he pulled off he was unsure wheter or not i was going to move, and then i got into his blind spot..it was a truck after all...

I dont know, i'm not hte truck driver, but the flash definitely seemed like a "on your way" flash..obviously not..

I'd say the damage will destroy my bank balance by maybe 1000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sorry for both your troubles.

He flashed me but the black car infront of him took it's time pulling off and i duly took my time in progressing into the centre lane
    If the car was still in front of him, why did you assume the 'flash' was for you? He may have 'flashed' to indicate to the car in front that the lights had gone green.
    and then i got into his blind spot..it was a truck after all...
    Probably (unless it was a LHD truck). Foreign driver - foreign truck?
    I dont know, i'm not hte truck driver, but the flash definitely seemed like a "on your way" flash..obviously not..
    That's the problem with flashing lights. Misplaced courtesy - it can mean two different things. A foreign trucker may have used it as a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't most continental drivers flash to say "I'm taking this junction/piece of road" and not go ahead? May have been he was doing telling you to look out for the dirty big truck and you being used to being called with a flash of the lights pulled across

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭afatbollix

but it looks like he ran into the back of you.... deffo the lorrys fault... you were in his lane lets say and then he runs into you... his fault as it looks like he dident see you....

but id say its the lorrys fault

Sorry for both your troubles.

If the car was still in front of him, why did you assume the 'flash' was for you? He may have 'flashed' to indicate to the car in front that the lights had gone green.

Probably (unless it was a LHD truck). Foreign driver - foreign truck?

That's the problem with flashing lights. Misplaced courtesy - it can mean two different things. A foreign trucker may have used it as a warning.

It was an RHD truck...

Well the traffic was moving, it's just that the car infront of him couldnt move, i mean there was like 10 or 15 cars infront of all lanes, it isn't like the car infront of the truck wasn't paying attention, sure if that was the case i'd have continued on in the left lane and moved infront of the car :)

I'm just sorry i'm in this situation to be honest, really sucks balls

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

All I can say is sorry man...

Legally, a flash means nothing. So you have no case there.
    We all have our tips, be glad no one was hurt. As you say at 20 (I'm 20 myself, never been held liable for an accident thank feck) and a provo (well I have a full license) it's a bugger. Might be best to let this one slide and just let it hit the damn pocket and get on with life, you pulled out infront of him afterall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

TV - look at it this way, mate. Get some perspective.
    Nobody was hurt.
    Nobody died.
    Two hunks of metal and somebody's insurance were all that were damaged. Thank the stars or whatever God you believe in for that before you go any further. You could be typing this with a wand attached to your head by an elastic band from a wheelchair.

Your insurers will decide between them who was at fault. So give them the best info you can, and forget about it as best you can til you hear more.

Best of luck to you, either way. I might be tempted to ring the guy's boss and suggest everyone paying their own damage, as you don't know what way the insurers are going to jump on this one.

anto-t wrote:
    but it looks like he ran into the back of you.... deffo the lorrys fault... you were in his lane lets say and then he runs into you... his fault as it looks like he dident see you....

but id say its the lorrys fault
    The lorry was driving along when the OP pulled in front of them - not picking on the OP but it could be classified as careless driving or driving without due care and attention. The lorry os not obliged to give way to a car in the next lane.
    JohnCleary wrote:
    Legally, a flash means nothing. So you have no case there.
    Difficult to prove a flash and if you can its even more difficult to prove its intention

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - another thing to bear in mind:

You are 20 years old on a provisional B licence.

The truck driver (if it's an artic) will have had to pass at least three driving tests (B, C, C+E) to get to where he is today (possibly more if he's foreign). From an impartial viewpoint, it may be assumed that the truck driver is more experienced and better qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

@kbannon -> Yep, going onto the SCR. You can branch off the centre lane and not go down toward heuston, at least thats my understanding of the thing, the whole yolk is a bit of a mess.

There are clear road markings at this junction. You can't turn right from the middle lane, some chancers try, but all they do is disrupt the trafic moving straight on. You'll have to chalk this one down to experience because from what you've described, the truck driver has done nothing wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

JohnCleary wrote:
    All I can say is sorry man...

Legally, a flash means nothing.

Legally, a flash only means one thing: I am here!

I know we all take it to mean a whole host of things, like go ahead, you go first, speed check up ahead, and so on. But legally it can only mean one thing, and now we know the reason why. Sorry for your troubles, OP. Maybe you can play on the fact that he was a foreigner and didn't know our secret rules, to split the responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gingerhousewife

Ah he was foreign, that explains it because I know that, in France at least, if someone flashes you it's because they expect you to yield to them and not because they're "letting you in" as it does here. It's probably the same all over the continent.

Righty, i've talk to a Garda and here's what he said...

It's a difficult one. Because he flashed me, doesn't give me the right to move into his lane, though it is a common courtesy to do it. He could have been flashing the car infront of him to take off because the lights were green or anything - it just happened i wanted to move lanes and i took it as a go ahead because he flashed and didnt move by the time i started to move. The fact upon impact, he still continued and shunted my car for about 3 seconds, makes it seem like he didnt see me, which falls under the category of careless driving apparently....

So in order words, we're both to blame...him for apparently not seeing me (maybe i was in his blind spot and he didnt know i was there, it was a truck after all) and me for taking the flash and lack of movement as a "go ahead". It'll come down to who decides the insurance claim.

I'm looking for split responsiblity or better obviously, trying to keep insurance in the lurch for both our premium's sake - god knows mine isn't cheap and his isn't either. Either way, we're both insured with Quinn Direct, so i'm already on a back-foot.

I'm sorry im in this mess but as you all say, thankfully nobody was hurt. I've broken arms and both my legs in a motorcycle crash 3 years ago (not my fault thankfully) so i know i'm lucky to have walked away and still been fine.

Maybe if i blink twice and click my heels it'll be find *tries* ...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Saw you driving on the n4 earlier, just before Liffey Valley. Damage looked quite bad. Might be best off just paying for it yourself, Quinn WILL **** you over I'm sure if you claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

TouchingVirus,

sympathies on the accident ..

but kudos on your attitude. :)

SOP.

mloc123 wrote:
    Saw you driving on the n4 earlier, just before Liffey Valley. Damage looked quite bad. Might be best off just paying for it yourself, Quinn WILL **** you over I'm sure if you claim.

Jesus, is it that noticeable? Or did ya just know it was me? Or were you admiring the nice 206 until you spot the rear qpanel :P

@SOP -> Thanks dude, it's the only way I can deal with this sorta thing :cool:

Estimates:

Peugeot Liffey Valley : 2623.44
    Peugeot Longford: 1943.97
    My usual Bodyshop in Longford :p : 1600

More pics:

car2.jpg
    car3.jpg

All three quotes include VAT and a new panel, which is 411.79...a little pricey if ya ask me, was thinking maybe 300 ...

A new panel? They just pull that dent out and fill it in

The local bodyshop said he could try to pull it out and beat it etc etc, but with the lights relying on the panel to be correct (and the gap for the light is severely messed up) and you can see my morette rear lamp was literally "popped" out with the crumpling of my panel..it'd be a tough job to get it back right :)

I'd take his advice cause when all the other garages told me i'd need two new doors and a left r/h qpanel when i hit a gate (i was 3 days driving and hit my own gates) he told me they were talking ****e and cut their quotes in half :)

Good point about the light lining up - my bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I assume the bodyshop have checked for structural damage also?

Advertisement