Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gear changes going dodgy :(

Options
  • 20-11-2006 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

I've had my car ('98 Fiesta 1.3) for about 6 weeks now, but in the past week or so I've started having trouble getting into first and (to an extent) second gear - sometimes it feels like there's kinda something in the way when going up for first, and if I push it too hard I get slight grinding noises - not as bad sounding as no-clutch gear changing (and I certainly don't do that very often!), but still offputting. Usually I put the stick back into the centre and try again, and it works.

Also, sometimes it feels like there's something in the way between first and second, and occasionally going into third feels a bit rough.

However it seems quite random - sometimes I can go through the gears with no trouble at all. I think it could be worse going from fifth or reverse to first than anything else - not sure though.

What could be going on? I've done about 250 miles in the car since I got it. It's my first car and I haven't been driving long, so maybe I've been doing something wrong? Could me being too heavy on the gearstick have done this? I don't have any trouble with the clutch, and most my driving so far has been in chronic traffic to and from college, so it's all continuous stopping/starting and mostly first/second gear :D

I haven't noticed any leaks, though I don't know if I could notice anything in this shyte weather...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'm told that changing the gearbox oil normally helps such a problem. No big deal , no big cost - don't start worrying unless that fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

So there's not much chance it was my fault then? Hopefully I can get it checked out on Wednesday as I'm hopfully getting the temperature gauge fixed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it worse when the engine/gearbox are cold, eg. early in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

With the cold mornings, give your engine 3-5 mins to warm up

What milage is on the car? Most gearboxes are filled with 'fill for life' oil. Mine was but I changed it at 70k anyway and it felt like a whole new gearbox. I now change it every 30k. Gear oil changes are as easy as engine oil changes, just make sure you get the right stuff.

If you're not competant (sp?) to do it yourself, any handy-man mechanic will do it for feck all, youll get all the info online re: oil type and amount

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'm not sure if it's worse when cold - I've mostly been driving only in the morning or the evening, so it's usually cold anyway. I'll see if letting it warm up helps.

It's done 67k miles. I've never changed the oil anywhere in car before, though I would like to be able to..

• Advertisement
Advertisement