Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest TV Deal Ever?

• 20-11-2006 11:03pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Real sign €1.1bn tv deal

Are they still that much of a pulling power?

Thats alot of money!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Could the tv station not have just bought teh club for that and had exclusive rights forever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is there no Sky Sports type thing that goes on in La Liga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Holy Sh!t! On Behalf of Liverpool Football Club, Ill grudgingly except a deal of half that value...pool are big in spain dont ya know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PHB wrote:

Complete opposite, the tv money goes to the big clubs and the little get next to nowt, its what Man u Che etc want in England.

In Spain and Italy Barca real AC etc on every week they get the most money even when away. Its wrong and PL has the right idea but for how long...

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

The deal had been on the horizon for some time and as expected has eclipsed Barcelona who have a similar deal that earns them a minimum of €125m per season. Madrid's deal is now worth more than the entire French league combined!
    PHB wrote:
    Spanish clubs are allowed to negotiate their own TV deals. Sevilla failed to do so until recently which is why all their games at the start of the season were a blackout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

€157 a season? Celtic get about £2m. Even English clubs get nowhere near that figure.

Stekelly wrote:
    Could the tv station not have just bought teh club for that and had exclusive rights forever?
    That would never be alllowed to happen. Real Madrid, like Barca, are owned solely by their club members. Every few years they hold elections to determine who it's run by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

€157m a year, thats absolutely disgusting.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    €157m a year, thats absolutely disgusting.
    That's why they're the biggest club in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Crazy money but fair play to them for getting it.

Real sign €1.1billion deal with Catalan TV

So much for Catalan independence then.:D

• Advertisement

The money in soccer is still dwarfed by American sports. Just last week the Boston Red Sox, never really considered big spenders in MLB, paid $51.1m just to negotiate with Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka - if he agrees to join them they pay about double that and if he doesn't they get their money back. Still crazy.

It is crazy money, but I guess this is the money that Glazier thinks he can get out of United

PHB wrote:
    It is crazy money, but I guess this is the money that Glazier thinks he can get out of United

You'd have to wonder about a billionaire in his late 70's taking on a reasonably long term investment to make more money. I'm sure rich people get enjoyment out of becoming even richer, but surely he could find something to occupy himself with. I hope when I get to that age I can spend a good chunk of my time relaxing, especially if I somehow manage to be extremely rich.

I would assume he thinks there is massive money in it, and is doing it for his kids. Also, that sort of businessman, probably loves a good challenge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its a hell of a lot of money.

With the amount of income coming in does this mean that they can compete with Chelsea on the transfer market? I think they are debt free now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Stekelly wrote:
    You'd have to wonder about a billionaire in his late 70's taking on a reasonably long term investment to make more money.

I'd agree with PHB and say that he is doing it for his kids alright.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Serbian wrote:

Would there be profits to be made doing this? I know UTD make a decent profit but thats when they were a plc and not in a lot of debt

Serbian wrote:

I see the whole doing it for the kids thing but he's a billionaire, how much do his kids need? Look at Bill Gates, he said he's not leaving all his monsy for his kids, they get a set amount(probably a lot more than they will need) and the rest goes to charity or some such. Each to their own I suppose. As I said, I hope to have been relaxing for a long time at his age.

Advertisement