Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chicago

• 20-11-2006 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Anybody ?

First visit looming, Hancock / Sears tower? Magnificent Mile etc

Anybody been, any MUST see's / activities?

Its gonna be damn cold tho I expect !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

Loads to do Sizzler!! In saying that i've never been during the winter so most of my must do's might not be do-able.

Its a very sporting city so get your ass to either ice hockey,football or basketball.
    Magnificent mile is over-rated in my opinion unless your shopping for gucci,burberry etc. Better bargains on State street. But do visit the apple shop on mag mile.
    Too cold for a boat trip so forget the river tour.
    I have done the Sears and Hancock and if i was to do one i'd just do the Hancock. They do a lunch for about $20 and all you can eat. It's the restaurant on the 95th(i think) floor and one below thw bar(signature lounge)...request a window seat. If you dont fancy lunch, pop into the signature lounge for a nosey or a cocktail. dont bother with the observatory as it is one floor lower!!
    Cheescake factory is a must. Its basement level at the Hancock and great for lunch.
    Not sure if lincoln park zoo is open this time of year but well worth a visit and is free.
    House of blues just behind wrigley building is a good spot.
    ESPN zone is like dr quirkeys..i love the horse racing one..is a scream!!

At this time of year it would be shopping, lunch,dinner & pubs. Enjoy as is a great city!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Cheers :D

I was in the cheesecake factory in San Fran and it was class, savage food!
    If its half as good then I'll be happy !

Cheers for the tip on the shops agus Hancock Tower! Its pretty cold there at the mo so will bring the hata ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Theres some really nice neighbourhoods around Wrigley Field, its nice to just wander the streets go to cafes around there, I havent been in six years so cant remember the exact details.. River tour is really great so if it were warm enough at all... I went up the Hancock it was grand, no big deal though...
    We went and looked at some Frank Lloyd Wright designed houses one time, thats nearly ten years ago but its cool to see all the different neighbourhoods.
    Shopping in Chicago is easier and more centralised than NYC in my opinion.

http://uk.weather.yahoo.com/USIL/USIL0225/index_c.html

Not as cold as I thought it would be but Id say the breeze off the lake shaves a few degrees off it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

Check state street, check sears tower. Lincoln park
    Go up to .
    Sears tower is brillant. Give you full view of the city.
    Check out the zoo I think it's up in Belmont just get the redline(could be brownline??) from the business district. You gotta check out the suburbs too because a lot of the nicest food joints are outa town.
    If you go down south west side of Chicago it's where most Irish Americans settled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Museum of Science and Industry is amazing, give yourself a full day.

Loop train used to give a low price tour on a saturday morning.

Andy's jazz bar as well as Buddy Guy's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Go see the Bean, and the big Video fountains, love that place, and try and get a chance to go into the art gallery.

Also if you have time, try and go to the Aquarium, and see the turtles, think they have orcas there as well. and Sears Tower and Hancock, but of course you'll probably head to those two first.

The Ferris Wheel on the harbour, it's just behind the aquarium (I'm very sure), shows you a great skyline of Chicago, best at night.

When I was there a few wks back the weather was unreal, the locals couldnt believe it! T-Shirts etc ! And there was me lugging a large coat :o

The ferris wheel, river and boat trips were also closed as it was 'out of season' !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Eimear_no6

defo go to the aquarium.... thats on the musium campus too, along with history, science etc. Also china town, the L brings u straight there... red lin i think. Class town! I'd advise u invest in a good guide book.... easier to plan day caus usually gives which line to get on and where to get off. so so easy to get around Chicago! enjoy!

eBookers & Go Hop are doing a GREAT deal at the moment, flights and 4nights in The Hilton for around €570 (exc taxes) which is a brilliant deal. Nice hotel and only 10 mins walk away from main areas.

Price should come in around €640 pp, sure you wouldnt even get 4 nights in the hilton in dublin for that !

• Advertisement
Advertisement