Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dual Immersion.

• 20-11-2006 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭

Smaller element [sink] of dual immersion has ceased working. It is old and has probably worn out. Electrical connections are ok and the larger element works.

Any idea of the costs of buying a dual immersion heater element plus VAT ?

Do I get it from an electrical wholesaler or plumbing suppliers ?

Is it a difficult job to replace the immersion unit itself even if I can borrow the big immersion spanner ??

I know how to drain down the cylinder, disconnect and reconnect the electrics. The only bit about which I am windy is unscrewing the old unit as I don't know what traps might be waiting for me !! Not having done this particular job before l don't want to start, get stuck, make a mess of it and end up getting one of those emergency plumbers !!

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

An immersion will cost you around €30 from any plumbing suppliers. you won't have to drain the whole cylinder if you can get at the immersion easily just turn the supply off and turn on a downstairs hot tap that will be enough. They are easy enough to change your main problem might be getting the old one out sometimes if there old they can be a pain in the a$%se to get out. And make sure you put plenty of bosswhite on the new one and a new washer but don't overtighten it too much. Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Thanks Willah.

I have ordered a strong man for next week with a large spanner attached. We'll give it a go !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,239 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

B&Q also have them in Tallaght & Liffey Valley.
    Not sure of price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

willah wrote:
    you won't have to drain the whole cylinder if you can get at the immersion easily just turn the supply off and turn on a downstairs hot tap that will be enough.

Hey hold on !

Turning on the hot water won't have the slightest effect on the level of water in the cylinder even with the supply to the base of the cylinder closed.

It will still be full to the brim. You will get about a pint of water overflowing so be ready.

Use a special spanner to take off the old nut -- it can be tight. As has been said plenty of tape or bosswhite and hemp to seal the threads

Advertisement