Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handgun Training

Options
  • 21-11-2006 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum can someone please advise me . I am going to Israel
    in june next year to do a 1 month long tatical handgun course . i would like to continue handgun shooting when I come back , how do I apply for a and handgun licence, how do I buy one and where can I do target shooting in Ireland. Also is their a place I can go now and do a handgun shooting course in Ireland , I heard that their is a place in Newry .

Tks westham

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

So you are going off to Isreal to the ISI academy of bg?;)
    You wont need much training after that course in any type of firearms,and will be able to show us a trick or two as well.:D
    It wont however stand diddly with the Gardai when you are making your application,and quite frankly I would leave it out.As they might decide you are trying to set up as an armed BG here,or somthing like that.:rolleyes:
    Find and join a club nearest to you.PROABLY get a rifle or shotgun first for a year or so,as it is debateable wether you will get a HG liscense straight off,but at the moment it can happen as well that the Super will smile on you and grant straight away.
    Newry is NI and requires another load of paperwork with the PSNI where you have to get a visitors permit to NI,etc. ASFIK Hilltop gun club does a pistol course.But it is more related to target and saftey type matters.Where you are going you will get that 24/7.So I wouldn't bother here.
    Have fun & Shalom:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭westhamutd

Hi and thanks for the responce its ISCA and i hope to go in june this years course was in aug , have you been yourself.

thanks again Westham

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Following on from CG post, Hilltop are offering a 2 day UKPSA course in dynamic sport pistol shooting. On successful completion of both elements of the course the candidates are then able to apply to their respective IPSC regions for a competition licence. I am sure if you contact any of the principals at Hilltop they will fill in you in on the finer details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hilltop also occasionally run a one day 'basic pistol safety' course, which is much more the sort of thing the Gardai like to see with an application.
    The whole 'running with guns' thing is currently viewed with some suspicion by the powers that be. It's all a bit too close to 'simulated combat' for their liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Sorry to go off topic a bit but, is it likely to get refused a permit on the basis of having, as the super might see it "too many firearms". I'm just asking cos i would like to get involved in pistol shooting and come saturday i pick up the latest addition to my gun cabinet. making it a total of 8.

Hezz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭westhamutd

Thanks for all you help lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

westhamutd wrote:
    Hi and thanks for the responce its ISCA and i hope to go in june this years course was in aug , have you been yourself.

thanks again Westham

A fellow I work with was.Has instructor level.I am getting a bit old for all this jumping out of cars,abseiling thru windows,shooting ten bad guys while not spilling my martini bit:D But it is an exellent course.I would recommend that you get fit as possible as well.It is extremly taxing,and they will run you ragged.

Hezz,
    No it shouldn't be a reason as there is nowt in law about this,but that will depend on your local demi god in the station,wether he wants to issue you another liscense.
    Always wonderd with the costs of all these individual liscenses,would it be not cheaper to go the alarm routes,etc and get a firearms dealer liscense and not deal with the GP,and have the advantage of buying in [at cost]whatever you fancy,and then selling it on later if you are bored with it.
    Anyone ever explore this route?does it make much sense financially or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Find and join a club nearest to you.PROABLY get a rifle or shotgun first for a year or so,as it is debateable wether you will get a HG liscense straight off,but at the moment it can happen as well that the Super will smile on you and grant straight away.

I Must be one of the lucky ones. My first ever gun licence .22 Pistol. My second licence 9mm Pistol. Guess it s just a case of a Super with a no b*sh1t attitude.

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement