Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel's 50:50 Deal

Options
  • 21-11-2006 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to check what people thought of Opel's 50:50 deal. My brother intended changing his car in the first couple of months next year (01 1l Corsa). He was thinking about getting a second hand Astra, and his budget was around 14/15k. What he didn't realise was that the sportshatch came out a lot later than the 5dr model, and therfore still seem to be quite rare second hand. I'd suggested a 04 1.4 Civic, but again they seem to be rare in enough in 3 dr. form and would need additional money spent on them so they wouldn't look as dull. Plus the absence of a local honda dealer is alittle off putting.

I happend to be at the local Opel dealers at the weekend and I noticed they're still running the 50:50 deal. Financially it probably suits him, and as he's quite fussy about his car, it means he can buy the exact spec he wants.

The downside is that the deal is only running until the end of the year. Is it complete madness to buy a new car at this time of the year, or is the dealer likely to be flexible on the price even when a finance deal is been taken.

Any opinions/advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

This is an end of year deal to try and shift cars in stock before the new year. In Jan this deal will be forgotten about and althou the dealer will say he is giving you a great deal it is not the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I was talking to the boys in McChesneys there awhile back.

Its a good offer.

@ Big Nelly > This offer applies to new cars, and not 2006 stock.

Buy a new car, pay half now and pay half in Jan 2009.

2007 Opel Sportshatch 1.4 €24000

Take out a loan for €12000 and pay it off over two years.
    In 2009 take out another loan for €12000 for another two years.
    Your not paying the interest on €12000 that you would if you took out a full loan amoutn over 4 years.

Carb, am sure the boys there will have plenty of used stock after the new year they always do.

The new Corsa 1.4 Sxi looks pretty nice. Am not a fan of small cars but I would go for that.

I find the boys in McChesneys dont like younger people, anytime myself or the gf go up to trade in a car for a newer they seem to spend ages with the older generation and your left hanging around.

Bradys Opel in Cavan is the same attitude, the gf again went down to look at his stock, the they told her that a new Astra would be too expensive for her. :eek: I wouldnt mind put she gets paid very well - Nurses :D

Honda is a good bet these days, Honda in Donore is your nearest dealer now. Very easy to get to though. Not much second hand stock though, actually very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just becareful that you don't buy one of the ex rental Astra Sport hatches from Opel's "3 day test drive" promotion earlier in the year. There are still quite a few of these cars for sale on forecourts. Most have had the ****e driven out of them. Not a good buy unless very cheap imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

kluivert wrote:
    I was talking to the boys in McChesneys there awhile back.

Its a good offer.

@ Big Nelly > This offer applies to new cars, and not 2006 stock.

Your not paying the interest on €12000 that you would if you took out a full loan amoutn over 4 years.

Carb, am sure the boys there will have plenty of used stock after the new year they always do.

The new Corsa 1.4 Sxi looks pretty nice. Am not a fan of small cars but I would go for that.

I find the boys in McChesneys dont like younger people, anytime myself or the gf go up to trade in a car for a newer they seem to spend ages with the older generation and your left hanging around.

Bradys Opel in Cavan is the same attitude, the gf again went down to look at his stock, the they told her that a new Astra would be too expensive for her. :eek: I wouldnt mind put she gets paid very well - Nurses :D

Honda is a good bet these days, Honda in Donore is your nearest dealer now. Very easy to get to though. Not much second hand stock though, actually very little.

The Corsa mightn't be a bad buy, but I get the feeling he wants to get into something bigger. Most of his mates all own a Focus/Golf/Leon, plus a 1.4 Corsa mighn't be that easy to sell in couple of years. Everybody seems to want these in 1l form.

As for Mc Chesneys, I bought a Corsa from them last year, when I went to collect it I brought my brother and he bought his Corsa then too. My parents went a couple of months later and bought a new car from them also. And my uncle has just went and bought a second hand corsa. My brother bought a 06 Vectra from the recently also, so they should be getting use to us calling by now. Its probably about time they give us a good deal too.

Personally I think a 2nd hand civic would be a great buy, then a 2nd hand Astra and a new Astra been the third option, but I think it would very difficult to get the year/colour/engine/price/no. of doors he wants in either car 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Second hand Astra would be the pick.

www.astra-sport.co.uk

Good site with lots of info for technical support and for improving the looks of the car.

I get my car serviced there as well, and I think they re servicing is very bad. Not dear or that, they just dont do what you ask them to do thats all.

My brake fluid hasnt been changed in three years and I asked to change it as well as the gear box oil, picked up the car not done, at the last service they just changed the oil.

I went straight home with the car bought air filter and sparks and put them in myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It depends if it is a good deal
    kluivert wrote:

Your not paying the interest on €12000 that you would if you took out a full loan amoutn over 4 years

At a fairly agressive loan rate of 7%, that represents a saving of about €1700 over four years. It should be doable to get a €1700 cash discount on the €24k Astra at this time of the year and money now is always better than money later, so in this particular example it is not such a good deal...

unkel wrote:
    It depends if it is a good deal

At a fairly agressive loan rate of 7%, that represents a saving of about €1700 over four years. It should be doable to get a €1700 cash discount on the €24k Astra at this time of the year and money now is always better than money later, so in this particular example it is not such a good deal...

Something just isn't right about what you said but I can't figure out why its wrong.:)

The figures I worked out are as follows: BTW I've assumed that this is a three year deal with Opel, ie 50% in 06 and 50% in 09.

To finance the first 50%, a 12000 loan over three years would cost roughly 1680 in interest. The second 12000 over 2 years would cost 1080 in interest, so total interest would be 2760.

Assuming a cash discount of 1500, a 22500 loan over 5 years would cost 5100 in interest.

This would mean the cash discount of 1500 would cost 2340.

These figures are only for illustration, because my brother would only need to finance at most 8k of the first 50%, and knowing him, he would have a good portion of the second 50% if not all of it saved up in three years.

Also take note that there is a facelifted Astra available from early next year:

[URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_210574_5.jpg[/URL]

The same as the above except with an Opel grill instead of Vauxhall. The Sport hatch gets a completly different grill to the hatchback and estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Carb wrote:
    As for Mc Chesneys, I bought a Corsa from them last year, when I went to collect it I brought my brother and he bought his Corsa then too. My parents went a couple of months later and bought a new car from them also. And my uncle has just went and bought a second hand corsa. My brother bought a 06 Vectra from the recently also, so they should be getting use to us calling by now. Its probably about time they give us a good deal too.

Hope you don't have to bring it back there with any problems. Had a problem with a Vectra I bought of them a few years back. It turned out to be a known problem but they couldn't or wouldn't sort it. 4 months and numerous visits and much heated language later Crosson Opel in Dublin fixed it first time.

Total idiots

furtzy wrote:
    Hope you don't have to bring it back there with any problems. Had a problem with a Vectra I bought of them a few years back. It turned out to be a known problem but they couldn't or wouldn't sort it. 4 months and numerous visits and much heated language later Crosson Opel in Dublin fixed it first time.

Total idiots

I didn't have my Corsa long enough to have any problems as I sold it and went for an older Accord after I passed my test. My borthers and uncles are corsa are 4/5 years old, so any known problems should be long dealt with. As for my brothers Vectra, if he's silly enough to spend 20k + on a vectra instead of buying a little bit older but better saloon, then so be it. I'd imagine it's a 06 number plate thing.

My other brother who is now thinking of buying is in a slightly different situation in that he's looking for a three door 1.4 smaller car, and tbh, he doesn't like a lot of cars in this class around 04/05 era, except for the Civic with the right kit or the Astra sports hatch. He has already said he doesn't want a Leon (doesn't like the interior), Golf or Focus. He doesn't even partcularly want to buy a new car (financial sense), but the 50/50 deal does suit him financially and it means he gets to spec his own car.

Does anyone know how much an 05 Astra Sportshatch/Civic should cost in Jan/Feb 07 should he happen to come across one he likes.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Also take note that there is a facelifted Astra available from early next year:

[URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_210574_5.jpg[/URL]

The same as the above except with an Opel grill instead of Vauxhall. The Sport hatch gets a completly different grill to the hatchback and estate.

Do you know is the sportshatch getting a facelift too, or will that be later.

Carb wrote:
    Do you know is the sportshatch getting a facelift too, or will that be later.

All Astras are getting the facelift with the exception of the Zafira. The Sport hatch is getting a new front honeycomb grill that is unique to that model. All models get a new front bumper, rear light cluster and revised interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Carb wrote:
    The downside is that the deal is only running until the end of the year. Is it complete madness to buy a new car at this time of the year, or is the dealer likely to be flexible on the price even when a finance deal is been taken.

Any opinions/advice greatly appreciated.

http://www.opel.ie/action/brandsite?asset=mop-news_currnews061031&branch=mop&cntryCd=IE&langCd=en&webSiteId=GBPIEundefined
    This exciting new offer is available at all Opel dealers from January through to March 2007.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I bought my 06 opel back in Feb of this year when the deal was pay nothing until June 2007. I figured that I was changing my car this year anyway and with my SSIA not maturing until early 2007, this was a great deal for me at the time. This new offer seems even better if its up to 2009.

Advertisement