Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM upgrade question

Options
  • 21-11-2006 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hey all,

I have a 128MB DDR 400MHz PC3200 stick o' RAM and I want to upgrade to 512MB.

I have a question about the details on the label.

PC3200U-3033-0-C0. What does the info after the PC3200 mean or can I ignore it?

Can I just pick up a PC3200 512MB DDR 400MHz stick from Maplin(or where ever)?

I just want to be sure that I am getting the right piece.

Cheers
    j

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

That's just manufacturer specific stuff you can safely ignore it though is this a Dell system the RAM is going into because if it is Dell boards can be fairly picky about what RAM works.

I always use Crucial RAM for Dell's as it has the highest compatibility rate with Dell motherboards in my experience at least. Most other systems are much more receptive about mixing & matching RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

These are not Dell machines that are getting the upgrade.

KINGSTON - Memory/512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 NECC DIMM from Elara

This is fine, eh?

j

• Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

jaarius wrote:
    These are not Dell machines that are getting the upgrade.

KINGSTON - Memory/512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 NECC DIMM from Elara

This is fine, eh?

j

If your taking out an existing module and doing a swap with the new memory it should be okay I think. Sometimes adding a module beside one thats slightly different spec to one you already have installed can cause problems.

If you have a motherboard manual you might see what modules have been tested with the motherboard. Usually you'll find some kingston memory listed as tested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah I'd say Kingston should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Check Shop4Memory.com & Crucial.com to see if they're cheaper first though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

Hey lads,

If I was buying for myself I would definitely shop around but elara is a vendor of ours so we are going to stick with them.

I'll report back if the thing explodes :)

j

Advertisement