Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend in Letterkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

xzanti wrote:
    I moved this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055018529 here as per a fellow posters recommendation..

Any suggestions would be great, cheers :)

Never stayed in that Hotel.

As for Nightlife.
    I always liked the Cottage on Main St. Old School small cosy pub. When its busy it's jammed!!!
    There are a lot of new Night Clubs in Letterkenny that i'm not sure of. The pulse was always a popular spot.
    Was up there last weekend and the pulse was closed due to a power cut so we ended up going to Milan.
    Loved it. Great vibe IMO.

Orchard has nice food and from what I remember the Yellow Pepper (again on Main Street) is a nice place for food.

Enjoy yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

I would agree with all the above but keep AWAY from the pulse if you're anything over the age of 18!!! im 22 and have been there once and would never darken its doors again!! i've heard good reports about Voodoo thats just recently opened up there and its not too much of a stumble from the Ramada. Milan is quite popular and good fun and is always recommended.

enjoy!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thats great, thanks very much guys :)

I would agree with all the above but keep AWAY from the pulse if you're anything over the age of 18!!! im 22 and have been there once and would never darken its doors again!! i've heard good reports about Voodoo thats just recently opened up there and its not too much of a stumble from the Ramada. Milan is quite popular and good fun and is always recommended.

enjoy!

Yes well I havn't been in the Pulse in some time so that explains that:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Voodoo and Milan as ultimate destinations. As for earlier, i'd recommend the corrage, voodoo downstairs, mcginleys, or the orchard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

DO a pub crawl, starting in Ramada :) Dunno if you'll make it to the top of the street though if you drink in every pub you stumble across :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yellow Pepper's a good recommendation for food, as is the Brewry in Market Square.

Pub-wise, to start on a Saturday I'd recommend The Cottage, McGinleys (opposite the central library, has a live band on Saturday) or the Orchard. Josie's used to be pretty good too, but I'm not sure, but it is next door to the Ramada, right at the bottom of Main St.

After the pub, you can head to Voodoo, next to McGinleys, for more live music (the crowd is usually over 30's mind), the Casbah for alternative live music (Upper Main St, near The Cottage), or for clubbing, The Orchard on High Road has good slightly alternative stuff (its where I always end up!), The Grill is more heavy dance, and Milan heads down the R&B and commercial end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Well its been a while bujt somethings are always good like

The food in Brewry is always good whether you go up stairs or have it in the bar.
    Nice relaxing pints during the day\evening in The Cottage and McGinleys
    Then head to the new cool pubs and clubs I suppose, is the cavern still going? That wasn't bad for a disco bar type. My preference would be the Orchard though back in the day downstairs on a Sat night and always a party after.

Gillie I know you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd suggest Gallaghers hotel attached to Milan - nice hotel and you get free passes to Milan also.

JoeyJJ wrote:
    Well its been a while bujt somethings are always good like

The food in Brewry is always good whether you go up stairs or have it in the bar.
    Nice relaxing pints during the day\evening in The Cottage and McGinleys
    Then head to the new cool pubs and clubs I suppose, is the cavern still going? That wasn't bad for a disco bar type. My preference would be the Orchard though back in the day downstairs on a Sat night and always a party after.

Gillie I know you!!

Who dis?
    Do I owe you money?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Haven't been to the ramada yet but the groups standards are supposed to be very high. Clubs, Voodoo (Club) is very dance orientated but is the newest. Milan is more RNB and House and the Orchard has recently got very quiet. The Cavern is very Busy Disco Bar, Sister Saras the busiest, The Voodoo lounge as described above with an older clientele. Cottage is an old style bar and cosy but small. McGinleys very popular for live music. It really depends what you are into but Letterkenny has something for everyone and is up there with the best in the Country.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, just hope the weather up there isn't too bad now lol :p

xzanti wrote:
    Thanks again for all the suggestions, just hope the weather up there isn't too bad now lol :p

BTW.
    If your a smoker there is a great Beer Garden in the Cavern!

byte

Gillie wrote:
    BTW.
    If your a smoker there is a great Beer Garden in the Cavern!
    Yup, probably its best feature! :)

Cheers again for the suggestions... We went The Yellow Pepper (great food) then on to Voodoo, then to Sister Sarahs and then Milan, all great spots although a huge fight broke out on the dance floor in Milan, which was a bit scary, other than that we had a great night.. Would definately go back again :D

I was in milan!

dont rem a fight though.
    /not a reliable recollection either

xzanti wrote:
    Cheers again for the suggestions... We went The Yellow Pepper (great food) then on to Voodoo, then to Sister Sarahs and then Milan, all great spots although a huge fight broke out on the dance floor in Milan, which was a bit scary, other than that we had a great night.. Would definately go back again :D

Did you happen to look at the sign on Sister Saras?
    There's a hidden message there! Very clever but controversial!;)

I was reflecting recently on how the bouncers have such a tough job up there compared to Dublin.

Gillie wrote:
    Did you happen to look at the sign on Sister Saras?
    There's a hidden message there! Very clever but controversial!;)

you mean the name?

I'm intrigued.....

• Advertisement

The rumour about three letters apparently was some competitors wild imagination and fueled by people dumb enough to spread it. I think the logo is probably the best in Letterkenny and certainly one of the best signs in town. I reckon if idiots like that wanted to see anything they would. Maybe in that case the fact that it has two capital letters means its something to do with nazi germany.

retalivity wrote:
    I was in milan!

dont rem a fight though.
    /not a reliable recollection either

Happened at about 12.30.. I was sitting at those couches down near the toilets, I could see up onto the dancefloor, looked like some guy was messing with/pulling out of a girl and another guy (possibly her bf) went for him, twas quite brutal, a few bystanders got punched too.. althought the bouncers seem quite lax in there.. I saw a lot of guys who were legless, falling around who would have been kicked out in Dublin clubs.. Huh.. Great club though :D

The rumour about three letters apparently was some competitors wild imagination and fueled by people dumb enough to spread it. I think the logo is probably the best in Letterkenny and certainly one of the best signs in town. I reckon if idiots like that wanted to see anything they would. Maybe in that case the fact that it has two capital letters means its something to do with nazi germany.

A FFS lads. You'd have to be blind not to see it!:eek:
    It's there. It's intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gillie wrote:
    A FFS lads. You'd have to be blind not to see it!:eek:
    It's there. It's intentional.
    What exactly is it. Im lost in all of this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

What is it? Are you implying Sister Saras because I would say that's not immediately obviously from the name (although the owners political persusasion...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

this is the logo isn't it?

sister_saras.gif

What am I missing?

(no image tags on this forum?)

That is the logo and I reckon Gillie is a bit imaginitive to conclude the message. I'll bet if someone hadn't told them they'd never came up with such rubbish ... its all rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

What message?

Is it really supposed to be the 'IRA' thing? Definitely don't see that, even after I have been told.

byte

Ah yes, I've been told about this "message"

The top of the S resembles an r. then down in a slightly diagonal line, you have I (Sister) then the "r" from the bottom S, and then A (Sara's). for RIRA or Real IRA.

And then there is Sister Sarah herself...
    http://www.irishdemocrat.co.uk/features/sister-sarah-obit/

Quite imaginative whoever thought about the hidden message! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

And there was me, thinking of Clint Eastwood and Shirley MacLaine. :rolleyes:

Advertisement