Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod

Options
  • 21-11-2006 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

HI

Am wondering if anyone can advise me on best Ipod to purchase for teenage kids, I need to buy 2, one girl one boy

Thanks

Sue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Suebh wrote:
    HI

Am wondering if anyone can advise me on best Ipod to purchase for teenage kids, I need to buy 2, one girl one boy

Thanks

Sue
    What age are the kids and how much music do they have, and do you/they specifically want an iPod, or will any mp3 player do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Suebh

HI Dal

Kida are boy 17, girl 14. I was looking online today and only discovered that an ipod is an mp3 player :rolleyes: That kinda shows how untechie I am huh lol. I was thinking €200 - €300(max)

Sue

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Go for Ipod Nano if they are looking for Ipod specifically...but there are a hell of a lot of other options...creative ones seem to be the next popular...

This will give you an idea of the prices out there and capacity (rough cut at number of songs) that can go on the different "models"...more the memory (measured in GB) more the songs...have a look at 3G/Peats/Dixons also...may be some price differences but I doubth it...

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irlstore.woa/6714043/wa/PSLID?mco=E2DE4738&nclm=iPodnano&wosid=O72LaYlD5kQn2cLyZUK2O4eYL2N

lot more info available at this board http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=624

Thanks for that. Think simple and easy best all round lol. I had my eye on apple one so will check out a few shops and see what they say.

Thank for the info

Sue

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I suppose the ipod is more a fashion accessory than a mp3 player. While creative may be better they also may not be as "cool" as an ipod. Remember all those stories of kids getting nintendo gamecubes instead of a Sony Playstation 2 etc..

I'd say the nano is a good choice, they come in various shiny colours (there's a nice new red one out too) so they're pretty trendy. Maybe get them a wallet or case for it too to prevent scratches.

• Advertisement

This is what I have discovered on my net and phone search:confused:

Powercity are the cheapest at €149.95 for 2gb apple nano, colours are black, white or silver(€10 dearer). The cases are about €7 I was told. This price is at least €50 cheaper than anywhere else I looked. I looked at the creative too and that is about €105 in peats (of parnell street hehe) but think will go for the apple as it is better known (prob kick myself but you know kids etc:( .

Thanks for all your suggestions

Sue

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

The ones you are looking at in powercity are generation 1 and 2. The first generation are black or white with mirror finish in the back. The 2nd generation are silver (2GB), silver blue pink or green (4GB) aluminium front and back which is why its dearer. Go for the 2nd gen. It has much longer battery life (24hr vs 14hr), scratch resistant body, brighter screen, better headphones. Make sure you have broadband at home as you will have to download itunes, the software for converting music and loading onto the ipod, from the apple website.

Thanks, thats good to know. I do have broadband and think kids have itunes loaded.

Sue

Ah itunes comes on a CD ROM with ipods anyway. Tho you can get newer versions online which I never bothered to do oddly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Not anymore, you have to download from the website

• Advertisement

Really?! thats fecking annoying. Is that only for the nano because of the small form factor box it comes in now or is it the case for the video too?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

Another source -
    http://www.aldi.ie
    they have a 2 GB mp3 player now for €80 with video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

itunes software no longer comes with the nano.

if anyone can't d/l for whatever reason i have cds with itunes on, just pm me.

Advertisement