Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Screeching brakes

Options
  • 21-11-2006 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I had my front brake pads changed about 6 weeks ago and ever since they are screeching really bad when applied. It is a bit embarressing when pulling up to traffic lights, etc.

I know that new pads need time to bed in but roughly how long does on average does it take for new pads to bed in? I also thought it might have been some dirt but I have clocked up about 2,500 miles on them and there is no sign of the screeching letting up. I did a visual check of the pads and they appear to be ok.

Any info is much appreciated before I need to head back to the place that fitted them.

BTW the car is a 2003 Toyota Avensis 1.8 litre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Couple of hundred miles to bed in, should be well bedded in by now. Could be a bigger prob

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd say this could be cured by taking the pads off and smearing some copper grease on the back of them before refitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

BrianD3 wrote:
    I'd say this could be cured by taking the pads off and smearing some copper grease on the back of them before refitting
    was going to say the same,
    most pads would have an anti-squeal compund on the back already but the mecahnic may have used some cheap ones and forgot to put anything on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

are they genuine or spurious pads fitted? sometimes cheaper pads can give very bad squealing. removing the pads and applying copper grease to where they move/slide on the caliper may solve it. you can also buy a little bottle of "stop squeal" made by BG which you apply to the front of the pad and allow it to soak and dry into the pad surface for a minute or two. i have used this many times and found it to be very good at curing brake squeals.

brakes-stop-squeal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks guys for the advice.

Yes, the original pads that came off were Bosch but these ones are a different make that I have never heard of before. I will take a closer look at them this weekend if the bloody rain lets up. Otherwise it is back to my mechanic to sort out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BrianD3 wrote:

This usually solves the problem.

Advertisement