Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on components

Options
  • 21-11-2006 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on a new pc. Here's the shopping list:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=403658&su=54081D39-1261-4621-925A-EE00C382864D

Am I getting good value for money there or are there other components that offer similar performance for lower cost? On the other hand, would spending a few hundred more get me a much better machine? Do I need any fans or anything, it says the case comes with 8 fans? Have I got everything I need there as this will be the first time I've built a pc from scratch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Are you sure about the bundle? You can run much faster RAM than what they give you in the kit and it's a fairly heavy duty processor to be paying for if you're not looking for performance. Buying a 6400 and Mobo separately instead might be better and save you some cash for good RAM.

I'd definitely upgrade that 250G HD to a 320G, it's only another E25. I think Komplett are looking to offload their 250G drives, that's why they come up as recommended when you look at the motherboard specs on their site.

Case looks interesting, nice to see someone going for other than Kandalf/Antec for a change.

PSU: Get a good Seasonic or Antec Trupower. Problems in this area are just not worth the savings. Plus a good PSU is generally more efficient so less expensive in long run.

Radeon vcard looks nice.

Good luck with the build!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

The samsung spinpoints are definitly a great hard drive. I have had one for a good while now. Very quiet and quite cool too.

I see that they are selling an anti-static wrist band as part of the bundle! Hehe... When did they start doing that!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭FastMachine

OK, I revised the shopping list based on Tayto's advice. Here's the new one:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.asp?mode=receive&si=404741&su=42A6C449-643C-49EB-966D-B51CB9CCA454

How does that look, in particular the RAM and the motherboard.....Am I good to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Personally I think that RAM is over kill in price and not worth it as tests have shown that in general the Core 2 don't perform all that differently no matter what speed grade it is e.g DDR-2 533/667/800. Unless you are out to win synthetic benchmarks that is.

Save yourself some cash and get this DDR-2 667Mhz 2GB kit for €200

Don't see a motherboard listed in that updated pick, I used one of these recently for a few builds recently & they worked great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

How do those MSI platinum boards overclock 8T8?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I'm afraid no overclocks were done on them it was stock settings for the systems.

But in Hexus review they had this to say;
    Overclocking wise, we managed to push the CPU bus on the MSI to a heady 410MHz or so with perfect stability, giving most Core 2 Duo overclockers a decent headroom to explore should retail examples do the same. Combined with the generous voltage ranges available and adjustment over the common features and the board shouts pretty loud in that respect. Add the feature-rich nature of a P965 + ICH8R mainboard augmented with a Firewire controller and decent Ethernet and audio ICs and the P965 Platinum makes the right noises there as well.

Advertisement