Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Me Cycling!

Options
  • 21-11-2006 12:42pm

Hi,

I've been cycling to work/college since early july and am looking for a new bike, with a restricted budget.

I have cycled a MTB, a Hybrid and an old Racer in these months, and the Racer has just been so much better than the others.

Unfortunately, it died...

The wheels were pretty rusted, the brakes were seizing up, the handlebars never quite sat right on the bike (the bar was slightly too small for the gap it connected into). And 2 weeks ago, when the rear spokes disconnected themselves (original 1965 wheels here!) I decided it was time to retire the bike.

I had been cycling a 1965 Raleigh, and was quite fond of it, it was quite a comfortable ride, and i'm not too worried that i wont be able to get something similar to it.

I have a budget of €250 - €300, and this can all be spent on the bike, as i have a good set of lights and an excellent lock.

As its going to be parked publicly each day, i don't want something too flashy, as i'd prefer to have a rustbucket each day, than a new bike for six weeks, and then none after. I'm basically just looking for a racer bike for commuting, not too big a deal. I would have no qualms with cycling a second hand bike, and in fact would probably prefer it.

So, what I'm looking for here is guidance, either to a new entry-level racer, or else someone sending me to a decent second-hand bargain.

Thanks

Emmet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Do the following if you can -

Buy a roadworthy piece of crap, secondhand (not more than 100 euro - get a freebee if you can) for the day to day stuff. If it is taken, you will not feel to agrieved. Buy a better machine for the trip that you want to really enjoy.

Try monitoring .Buy & Sell. for a while and you may strike a bargain.

Important issue is - stay on the road and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Buy & Sell as roadmanmad suggests; also maybe look in adverts.ie. You should get a decent old racer within your budget.

The thing is though, that i have a road worthy piece of crap, and it'll cost €60 to replace both wheels with new ones.

It'll probably cost about €80 all told to fix it up, but in my opinion, this is a waste, when for maybe 3 times that, i could cycle a bike that will have no problems, will be a good ride, and would go like the wind.

I've been down the route of the busted old banger, now i want something up a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

The thing is though, that i have a road worthy piece of crap, and it'll cost €60 to replace both wheels with new ones.

It'll probably cost about €80 all told to fix it up, but in my opinion, this is a waste, when for maybe 3 times that, i could cycle a bike that will have no problems, will be a good ride, and would go like the wind.

I've been down the route of the busted old banger, now i want something up a level.

I know where you're coming from - it's surprisingly hard to source a half-decent racer for around 200 or so. I know because i tried and after a while plumped for a reasonable old 80s peugeot touring bike. Cost €70, it looks beat up, but its tough and comfortable to ride thanks to putting on thicker tyres (35mm). Can leave it anywhere and it won't get knicked (touch wood).

However, the gears were rubbish so I ditched them and replaced the screw-on freewheel cassette with a single cog to make a single speed bike. Dublin is largely flat, so i get away with this. Looks nicer without all the gears too. I've now changed this to a fixed gear, but I'd only recommend it if you were really interested in trying out a fixed gear.

Mind you, I'd still prefer something that was about 5 years old or so, so I would add to the other comments and suggest you persevere. I nearly got a decent racer for €200 in adverts.ie. (columbus frame, 105/tiagra gears, and sti levers, mavic wheels). Kinda regret not going for it.

What roadmanmad is suggesting is a crappy bike for commuting and a good bike for enjoyable rides. This is the route I took after having four Trek hybrids stolen within 18 months, got a €150 second-hand hybrid (still perfectly decent) for my commute/leaving in town and spent €1,200 on a nice tourer which I don't tend to leave lying about so much.

Entry-level new racers are available from around 469 for Giant OCR; I imagine you would be paying 300+ for something decent second-hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

blorg wrote:
    What roadmanmad is suggesting is a crappy bike for commuting and a good bike for enjoyable rides. This is the route I took after having four Trek hybrids stolen within 18 months, got a €150 second-hand hybrid (still perfectly decent) for my commute/leaving in town and spent €1,200 on a nice tourer which I don't tend to leave lying about so much.

Entry-level new racers are available from around 469 for Giant OCR; I imagine you would be paying 300+ for something decent second-hand.

What kind of tourer do you have, d'ye mind me asking?

It's a heavily modified Specialized Sirrus, with drops, rack, SPD pedals and 105 shifters/derailleurs:

th_78189_sirrus_Large_122_463lo.JPG

As modified I think it would be quite similar to the Cannondale T2000; parked beside one of these recently in Dundrum and also saw one in Cycleways.

So the reccomendation is to either get another second hand bike, or fix the one i have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If you're cycling round the city in heavy traffic, I'd recommend avoiding the road bike, given the dropped handlebars. I think you really need to have your fingers on the brakes at all times in heavy traffic.

I've had dropped handlebars for about 2 months now, and far an away prefer them, I can squeeze between cars easier, and prefer cycling in the dropped position. Also i can reach the brakes from most positions on my current handlebars.

• Advertisement

Agreed, I'm much happier with drops also. The only position where you don't have ready brake access is right on top of the bars where I wouldn't tend to be anyway. Riding on the hoods you have very good gear and brake control. In any case, OP is used to them.

My old school racer has a gear lever on the frame...

there's no set position for changing gears :D

but i love it

Ubiquitous STI/Ergo shifters are a relatively recent development but honestly once you've used them it's difficult to go back to downtube shifters! Incidentally I saw a (new) road bike in McDonalds on Wexford St today with downtube shifters for only €325.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

As its going to be parked publicly each day, i don't want something too flashy, as i'd prefer to have a rustbucket each day, than a new bike for six weeks, and then none after. I'm basically just looking for a racer bike for commuting, not too big a deal. I would have no qualms with cycling a second hand bike, and in fact would probably prefer it.

Since your budget is just 250-300 EUR, and you prefer a discreet racer, I would use the money to restore your actual bike. A 1965 Raleigh could even be considered a "classic bike", so if you take care of it, it should last a good while. For that money you"ll only get a cheaply equipped racer or a battered second hand model. Use the money in putting yours up to speed, and it'll be a nice working bike without attracting too much interest from thieves...

I'd disagree with Titiritero here, you will probably need to spend more than it's worth fixing up your existing bike. Also more than likely on such an old bike many parts will be incompatible with modern parts. €300 will just about snip you a brand new racer these days (see above) or something a fair bit better second-hand. For example, someone from NI has a Giant OCR-3 (good modern entry-level road bike) in the B&S for £125, while there is a Carbon Giant CFR in there (this is an early carbon bike) for €295.

Advertisement