Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rotten Egg Smell

• 21-11-2006 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Hi

I drive an 04 Nissan Primera (22k on clock ) , i notice in the past week or so when i turn the car on i get a rotten egg smell inside the car for a few seconds and it disapears

Any clues on what the problem may be ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭wer*

It could be your battery. The smell from a damaged/faulty battery is like rotten eggs. Would go and get it checked and/or replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

cheers for the reply, somebody else mention to me that it could be the catalytic convertor ? would anyone have any comments on this being a possibility ?
    surely that shouldnt go in a car at 22k on clock ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Most cats at startup smell like rotten egs (sulphur) ..the newer the smellier.

The reason why you noticed it more recently probably has to do with the weather. In colder weather exhaust fumes tend to condensate (white foggy clouds) and therefore linger a bit longer until they disperse.

Nothing to worry about i'd say (unless you have a leak somewhere that lets exhaust fumes straight into the car)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As peasant says, its normal for a cat to smell and nothing to worry about. HS gas is a byproduct of the catalyst.

It could also be your a/c. Sometimes the a/c can smell when it is first turned on due to bacteria in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jja4

I got the same smell in my mazda6.I changed from Maxol petrol to shell, the smell has not appeared since.It's worth a try anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Sounds like the battery to me. I'd get that checked out.

Dodgy batteries give off Hydrogen Sulphur too.

The CAT story sounds fishy to me. Why wouldn't you have noticed it the last two winters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Its sulphur all right. Nothing to worry about. I get it when I use low sulphur diesel....strange:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

ballooba wrote:
    Sounds like the battery to me. I'd get that checked out.

Dodgy batteries give off Hydrogen Sulphur too.

The CAT story sounds fishy to me. Why wouldn't you have noticed it the last two winters?

i didnt notice it in the past 2 winters because i wasnt the owner,i only bought it used 1 month ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

eggy smell is nearly always the cat. As someone mentioned already...the cold weather will make the smell alot more prominment(sp?) Also maybe change the pollen /odur filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

As crosstownk says, it's prob your a/c. Stagnant water/mositure in there. Run it for a week or so, which'll dry it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement