Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could broadband be blocked by a small business telephone system?

Options
  • 21-11-2006 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi,

My mother has a shop and her phone there and her home phone is on some sort of system where both have the same phone number (they are in differnt physical addresses). At both locations you dial nine for a line. There's a box in the shop called an MDS 1+4 (the nearest thing I can find on Eircom's site is this but I think the system is older.

Eircom sold her broadband for home use as her line is up-to-scratch but the router fails to synch. Can anyone tell me if the business setup could block the DSL? Failing that would there be anything else that'd cause it to fail?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Yes, the phone system could be taking it down, you need to install the filter and dsl modem on the eircom line before the phone system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

The problem with that is the phone system's box is in the shop whereas she wants broadband at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Since you have to dial 9 for a line from the house it sounds like you've got a leased line from the shop to the home.
    I don't think that will work with broadband.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

how far is this house from the back of this mini exchange and how many concrete walls are involved ??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Connecting the DSL modem onto an extension won't work. You need to find the actual phone line (usually where the main unit is) and fit DSL filter there. Then run a phone wire from "modem" port of filter to where you want the DSL modem.

The micro PABX plugs into the "phone" socket on the DSL filter.

If it is really an ISDN version, (you probably have older analog only version, I've seen them.) you'd be fine in Germany but here in trouble as eircom unlike the Germans don't do ADSL over ISDN.

The two premises are most UNLIKELY to be linked by leased line. maybe a short tie line via cabinet at most, but I havve never heard of one of these not simply locally wired direct.

• Advertisement

The house and shop are a good half mile apart in a town. I suppose it must be a leased line from one to the other which makes me wonder what she's paying for that. This setup has been there for a good 15 years. Will see if Eircom can shed some light on the setup

Its an old style cheap analogue leased line called a "tie line" .

Getting a DSL signal (or an Ethernet signal more likely) half a mile thru that would be a very interesting jobbie but only for a veritable Guru of networking and datacomms like Watty for example :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

it could just be a copper pair punched down across town, if thats the case it could be straightforward.

Much easier to poke the DSL through it. If you use TWO DSL filters at the shop with one at home it is possible the DSL and the ext will work!
    LINE <]DSL--------\
          }Phone --    \
          1       |     \-----------DSL[>----- across town ----<]DSL ----  Modem   
                 MDS --- exten--- Phone{                        }Phone---\
                                       2                        3         \---handset

Three DSL Filters:

DSL[> Line
      Phone{

ethernet only goes 100m, DSL on ordinary copper up to 5km

Short phone patch cord between the Modem/DSL sockets on Filters 1 & 2
    Phone outlet of filter 1 feeds the micro PABX

On filter 2 the "line" goes to the tie line across town, "phone" connects to where that used to go on "ext" connection of Micro PABX /MDS. Then at home use DSL filter in normal manner.

yes, I would extend the dsl to the house myself watty except the switchover from house-shop or shop-house is normally done by the pbx on these tielines . The line to the house is just an extension inside the pbx

therefore a filter (phone only) may have to go inside the pbx in the shop between the pbx and the shop extension and another filter may have to go in the house and no filters between eircom socket and pbx at all

thoughts there guru.

• Advertisement

That's what I have on my diagram (I think). You can get screw connection DSL filters or cut the wire to PABX and put a dumb socket on each half and cut extension line from PABX and put a dumb socket on each half if you want to use the plugin microfilters.

PABX= MDS=MicroPBX etc.

In shop:
    Outside line gets a two way ordinary micro filter. "Phone" port goes to PABX connection that was on outside line.

Tie Line to Home in Shop gets identical micro filter. "Phone" port goes to Ext connection on PABX that was on tieLine.

The two DSL/Modem ports on the two micro filters on outside line and tie line simply connected together with a RJ11 patch cord.

Put 3rd microfilter at home in normal way.

I'm assuming the DSL/Modem port of the micro filter blocks DC. It would have to or it couln't block audio & ringing.

Larger wire terminal DSL /Phone filters might be better.

Thanks for that - I understand your diagram (I think). Is this something that Eircom should be willing to setup as part of a broadband install or is it beyond the call of duty? I don't believe there's an alternative (wireless) broadband available.

switch it over to house this evening as normal

plug in dsl modem in house (with or without filter)

does DSL light on modem flash and then go solid ??

Re: eircom Install
    There are LOTS of people in eircom that understand this stuff, but I suspect they don't get out a lot.

I think with the aid of the Great Sponge and myself assisting and some common sense (The phone stuff needs phone signals and not DSL Modem signals, the modem doen't want phone signals).

Phones use hurty voltages when not in use or ringing and 5V to 9V in use with only sounds you can hear.

DSL ONLY uses sounds you can't hear and doesn't like hurty voltages or audio /sound you can hear, the DSL filters will separate or join the two kinds of signal and work for signals in either direction.

A bit like VHF/UHF TV splitters/combiners or sat/TV splitter/combiners except a different set of frequencies.

Thanks for the offer of help/advice. I'll have a look at the setup in the shop.

Advertisement