Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom new phoneline - easier said than done?

Options
  • 21-11-2006 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm trying to get broadband installed in my house. I've never had a phone line before, so I understand I first need to get a line installed by Eircom. This has thus far proved to be very difficult!
    From reading some posts here, I first checked if the line was active. And it turns out its not. So I fill in Eircom's online application form for a new line, this was last thursday afternoon. I've heard zilch since.
    I tried ringing 1901 to speak to an agent, but they tell me my order is still not on the system! No record of my order exists. They ask me for an order number, yet I was never given one in the first place. What kind of ludicrous system is this? Is it any wonder it takes 28 days (??) to get connected, when online orders take a week (or more!) to even register with them...
    Anyone with similar woes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

We're building a house and been trying to get Eircom to connect it for 8 months. The house is fully wired and it all goes to an outside box. There is also an Eircom box 30 yards away. had engineers out about 6 times( never when they said they would be out) and the last guy looked around and said he had to talk to his manager.Moving in this week and still no phone or any hope of one soon.Never dealt with a company like this. ESB and Bord Gais were bad but not this bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

your order has probably been lost, you are better off ringing sales to have it processed properly.
    Even then, it could be anything from 4-44 weeks before anything is done. If yours is a new build your definately screwed.

The exact same thing happened me. The sales guy seemed to think that this was nothing out of the ordinary :(

I had to go thru Comreg to get recognition that one cannot wait 7 months in this day and age for a phoneline. Even with that IM no better off at the
    moment.

A mate lives in Beaumont in Dublin and was told they need planning permission for his line. His building is 6 years old and all his neighbours have lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

good lord, you'd think it was the dark ages. I better get onto them again so. Thanks for the replies guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom have 12 months to supply a new line from date of order under the terms of their Universal Service Obligation or USO, contact consumerline@comreg.ie for clarification on that.

you should have a written confirmation of when this 12 months period started "from" .

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭JJDoherty

If you wish to complain and I would recommend that everyone who does have a complaint to make should do so then email the following.

The first is Minister Dempsey, noel.dempsey@oireachtas.ie, who appears to think that the telecoms markets is great as it is and any problems that do exist should be dealt with by ComReg yet ComReg insist they don't have enough powers to do anything (or maybe that's they are unwilling to do anything as, it appears, is the minister!).

The next is Isolde Goggin, Isolde.Goggin@comreg.ie, the chairperson of ComReg who needs to be made aware that there are many people who continue to be frustrated by the major player in the market. The final email address is that of Tom Butler, tom.butler@comreg.ie, who is the public relations manager at ComReg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I said it here before, but I was waiting 26 months to have eircom connect us. I included that in my rant about being charged for a 'free' modem. Their poxy website said my exchange wasn't enabled when I tried to order online -- had to call broadband support. Still no response.

So, if you actually want a resolution, do contact ComReg as mentioned in other posts. Don't waste your time talking to that other shower. They hardly, if ever, reply to e-mailed complaints. Eircom must regard such mail as 'spam'. ;)

Advertisement