Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity shops

Options
  • 21-11-2006 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering where the best place would be to pick up a suit (need it for monday but I'm totally skint at the mo:o )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

For interview/security job or something where the material will matter?

Dunnes and Penny's can be a decent source.

There's a charity shop down on Middle st. I think, and another one on Merchant's Road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah, my friend picked one up for 35e recently. He was Borat for holloween. What do you need it for?
    If it's not long term, borrow like I do. Ah scrounging.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Curiosity shop on Merchants have mens clothes so maybe there'll be a snassy suit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It's for a work related trip to London, and I'll be working/possibly staying in a seriously classy hotel. (5 star uber swankness)
    They made a complaint about a friend from work turning up in jeans and a shirt, so I'd better aim for something a little snazzier than a dunnes/pennys suit:o

cheers for the suggestions, I'll try a few places tomorrow (have a couple of items of clothing that I wanted to offload anyway...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

You could also try the Simon Community shop in Sea Road (just a few doors down from the Crane).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

tman wrote:
    They made a complaint about a friend from work turning up in jeans and a shirt, so I'd better aim for something a little snazzier than a dunnes/pennys suit:o
    Problem is that you can't buy a nice suit without spending some proper dosh.
    If you are going to use it more often, go into a menswear or the like and buy one and pay instalments? That way you immediately get a proper suit and don't have to spend extra on something that looks scruffy anyway.
    A good suit will last you ages, pretty much at every fancy occasion you can wear the same thing and no-one will notice. Just change the tie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

While we're on topic, I have a furniture suite that I need to get rid of in early January. If I ring a Charity shop will they come and pick it up and get it out of my sight? It's gotta be worth a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

M&S have some nice ones at the minute for about 150..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

M&S have some nice ones at the minute for about 150..
    might stick one of those on my credit card on Saturday if I can't find anything cheap before then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

You can get a suit in pennys for 39 squid not inc. tie and shirt. Wear it to the social thingmabob, then bring it back saying it didn't fit. That's what i was told to do.... by someone working there!

Or go into River Island, spend €200 and get a suit for life*.

*Duration of life may be different to personal opinions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Or go into River Island, spend €200 and get a suit for life*.

Ah come on, River Island for a suit???? Are you mad?? They are complete ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You could go in your pjamas, it's all the rage these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I demand pics of this new suit, preferably with various stars holding your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

You could always go for a 30 suit bottms in Topman and wear a shirt and tie with it. Would cost u around 50 - 60 euro altogether.

padi89 wrote:
    Ah come on, River Island for a suit???? Are you mad?? They are complete ****e.

Well mine is still perfect after 2 years, and it's had alcohol spilt on it. A girl I know puked on the legs, it's had paint on it... make-up. A friend of mine píssed on it (whilst I wasn't wearing it of course)

And yet.. it still remains. It's like... super suit. Or that tuxedo from the film of the same name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Well mine is still perfect after 2 years, and it's had alcohol spilt on it. A girl I know puked on the legs, it's had paint on it... make-up. A friend of mine píssed on it (whilst I wasn't wearing it of course)

And yet.. it still remains. It's like... super suit. Or that tuxedo from the film of the same name!

Did a burberry shirt come free with that???? Only kiddin ,all i was getting at is if your going to spend 200 euro on a suit , theres alot better places to go that River Island.
    Then again if your planning on having piss,puke and paint on it you may aswell buy River Island,better still Pennys.

Maaaah... Whatever.. My suit is badass... And I look like a bowl of sex in it. So there!

A tad expensive at first, but if you take good care of your suit, they'll last ages. Good for every occasion. Weddings, funerals, graduations, lazing about the house, sports, high jump, backflips, and best of all dancing.

Advertisement