Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Protecting an E30 325i

Options
  • 21-11-2006 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

I've just bought an 88 BMW 325i auto for my father to drive. Thing is, the car has no alarm or immobiliser. Can anyone recommend a good but not too expensive alarm fitter? I was thinking a disclock type affair might be a good idea also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Come on, somebody must be able to recommend an alarm fitter! I want to get this taken care of ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

D.R Car Audio & Security - Used this guy to alarm my E30 325i - extremely tidy job and very thorough. He has a section at http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

His number is 087 6343208

He does a mobile service around Dublin, so will fit it wherever the car is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Slightly off topic...

Have you got a pic of the car ?, how much did you pay for it and did you buy in Ireland or import.

I have a soft spot for the E30's (had a touring and a coupe recently) and I love the 325.

kdevitt wrote:
    D.R Car Audio & Security - Used this guy to alarm my E30 325i - extremely tidy job and very thorough. He has a section at http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Sounds perfect. I'll give him a call, thanks!

KTRIC wrote:
    Slightly off topic...

Have you got a pic of the car ?, how much did you pay for it and did you buy in Ireland or import.

I have a soft spot for the E30's (had a touring and a coupe recently) and I love the 325.
    I bought it in the UK, off eBay. Here's the link, with pics: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200047321135Drove it from Luton to Holyhead yesterday in the pissings of rain, I was very impressed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Best of luck with Milly ;)

Very tidy and incredible spec for an '88 E30. Keep it maintained and your depreciation will be zero or better. Classic car to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Who would want to rob an 18 year old car? The alarm system would prob be worth more than the car, just buy a decent lock.

Lorax wrote:
    Who would want to rob an 18 year old car? The alarm system would prob be worth more than the car, just buy a decent lock.
    I'm not quite sure where to begin with this. Have you ever heard of the term 'joyrider'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Lorax wrote:

Check prices for tidy well specced E30 325i's over here, and then see if you want to correct that idiotic statement of yours.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lorax wrote:
    There is a huge demand for E30s especially the 325i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

budget clifford the arrow5 for €300,Its possibly less now - would be a good choice over standard alarms,its digital and expandable.Boot/bonnet/doors/interior protection and 1 stage immobilisor,and lifetime garuntee for as long as you have the car

www.motovation.ie He'l come to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

kdevitt wrote:

He quoted me 250 for alarm, immobiliser and remote control for a 1992 E36.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lorax wrote:

oh yeah, what use would some young scumbag have for a 2.5litre rwd car??:confused: lol

Edit: As for the alarm being worth more than the car... not many alarms are selling for 8-9k these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Winning bid: £1,211.00 = about €1700-€1800

Get real.. you'd wanna be fairly thick to pay €9000 for an 18 year old car.

top notch 325i sports are advertised in B&S for up to 8 or 9k.
    However a standard 325i auto would (with no disrespect to the OPs taste) be towards the bottom end of demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

kbannon wrote:
    top notch 325i sports are advertised in B&S for up to 8 or 9k.
    However a standard 325i auto would (with no disrespect to the OPs taste) be towards the bottom end of demand.

The one is won on ebay is a 325i SE , not exactly a bottom of the line model. Still a cracking car for the money, no matter what the spec.

I'm going to try and get a 325IX Touring in the new year in Germany. Can't wait :D

All this talk of 325's has gotten me feel all broody for a new BMW

Im not denying that but I believe that an auto removes a lot of the desirability

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

eireal wrote:
    budget clifford the arrow5 for €300,Its possibly less now - would be a good choice over standard alarms,its digital and expandable.Boot/bonnet/doors/interior protection and 1 stage immobilisor,and lifetime garuntee for as long as you have the car
    Clifford are good if a tad hyped. Some consumer reports show a high failure rate to boot. I've had Clifford alarms in the past on two occasions and were often a pain for me at least. Others have had no trouble.

AFAIK the arrow 5 has only one extra sensor port which you should use as the supplied sensor is prone to false alarms. The digital programming bit is a gimmick IMHO. The main thing with any alarm is the install. Hide the thing well and get a backup battery from ebay (search for DEI. They're the company who own Clifford among others.) The backup battery is when the scum try to disable the alarm by disconnecting the battery. In fairness the Clifford is good that way if wired correctly it will still not start on the immobiliser. Also if you've only a one stage immobiliser use it to cut the fuel pump power. It's far less obvious. Most immobilisers are far too easy for the practised among the scum to find.

I'm not sure, but if the arrow 5 doesn't have a backup battery siren, get one. Another idea is a small siren inside the car to irritate the scum. Like tescos every little helps. All the above are cheap on ebay.
    www.motovation.ie He'l come to you
    Have heard good things about this guy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Lorax wrote:

Would you? I paid €17,000 for a 35 year old car a few months ago, and I can't imagine that it isn't worth more now.

Anan1 wrote:
    I paid €17,000 for a 35 year old car a few months ago

What was it?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    What was it?
    A 1971 Mercedes 280SL.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lorax wrote:

Checked the VRT on an e30 325i sport recently?

Anan1 wrote:
    A 1971 Mercedes 280SL.:)

Pics? :D

kdevitt wrote:

I've just had this guy alarm the car and fit parking sensors (the car's for my father...) You were right, he is very tidy & thorough. I'd recommend him too. Thanks for that.

unkel wrote:
    Pics? :D
    I've tried, but it's asking me for a url. Do I have to have pics online before I can show them here?

you can attach them to your post (in the advanced post option)

Cool, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Anan1 wrote:
    Cool, thanks.

That is beautiful. I knew I'd find a good reason for me to stop doing homework and come on here :D Congrats on it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Anan1 wrote:
    Cool, thanks.
    Man, thats a sweet Merc.

• Advertisement

Beautiful!

Advertisement