Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C Programming- reading from ports

Options
  • 21-11-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

hey, does anyone know where i can find info or a good tutorial online on how to read inputs from ports such as a parallel port or something similar using C programming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What OS are you using??

In win2K and XP it's a bit of a pain to access the hardware ports from an application... generally only kernal mode drivers have access to the hardware directly. Although i believe there are some 3 party kernal mode drivers, specifically writted to allow programmers access the hardware ports directly.

In all older versions of windows you should be able to do it directly, or if your using VB wirte a little DLL file to it for you.

It's fairly easy to do in Linux, from memory there's a "file" handle that you can open, then you can preform I/O operations on it, which will in turn read/write to the hardware...

Advertisement