Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney, Up Draught

Options
  • 21-11-2006 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I Live in a 5 year old dormer bungalow. Whenever there is wind blowing outside the doors upstairs try to close. The door in the room where one of the fireplaces is actually difficult to close because of the air being sucked up the chimney. The house is very difficult to heat as a result i presume. Does anyone know how i can reduce this? The house has two chimneys if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I remember years ago when we were in a house build in 1980 and before gas etc... our chimney had an updraght thingy in it. I have not seen one in any shop.. ever... they must exist though.. its just a metal slab that you move in and out to control the draught.
    If anyone knows where to find.. then let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Saruman wrote:
    Its called a draught regulator and not the kind of thing you'd see in the shops as it's built into the chimney.
    racso77 wrote:
    I Live in a 5 year old dormer bungalow. Whenever there is wind blowing outside the doors upstairs try to close. The door in the room where one of the fireplaces is actually difficult to close because of the air being sucked up the chimney.

If the door is difficult to close then the chimney is drawing copious amounts of air from somewhere else in the house and the chimney is only a part of the problem.

Re: upstairs are there doors into the roof space in the upstairs rooms - handy for storage but if the spaces are not boxed in you will get massive draughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I got a 'chimney balloon' for mine a couple of months ago. It seems to be an improvement. There was a thread on this a few months back - if you google, you will find a supplier in uk that will take your order online.
    The difference between this and stuffing the chimney with whatever is that the balloon is shaped to allow some air through - and keep dampness away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Saruman wrote:
    I remember years ago when we were in a house build in 1980 and before gas etc... our chimney had an updraght thingy in it. I have not seen one in any shop.. ever... they must exist though.. its just a metal slab that you move in and out to control the draught.
    If anyone knows where to find.. then let me know.

Do you mean a 'damper' ? - the moveable metal plate which directs heat either up the chimney or around a back boiler to heat water in order to heat domestic hot water or supply a central heating system. Not a draught excluder.

Advertisement