Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First gun licence

Options
  • 21-11-2006 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

OK, I have taken the first step to getting my first gun. Now all that remains for me to do is get my licence for it so i can pick it up from the shop.
    My question on getting this licence is about the permission from land owners section. It says in brackets beside this that it is only required for a limited licence and since i am not applying for a limited licence but rather a rifle licence can i safely assume that i dont need permission ????
    Its not that i will have trouble getting it if its required. Loads of my friends have land so i should be all right.
    If i do require permision how many land owners do i need ???

Also how many rounds of ammo should i apply for ??? Im only 19 so dont want to scare the guards by asking for 10,000. I dont want to run the risk of being turned down because of something like that.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What do you plan to use the rifle for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

You'll need either permission (or your own land) to hunt, or membership of a target shooting club for target shooting.
    That's it.
    Your chosen shooting sport will dictate whichever it is you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Well i was planning on using it for target shooting,but didnt want to join a club. Just shoot cans in the field behind my house (which i have permision to).

So should I say that I want to use it to hunt to avoid having to join a gun club ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

You'll def need a letter of a landowner stating that you have permission to shoot on there lands and how much land they have

Theres no real law for this but as a guideline id recommend
    approx 150acres
    or 2 letters from landowners

About the ammo limit depending i'd recommend leaving at 100 but if you want it raised talk to the FO and see what he thinks if the supers likely to agree or not

Congrats on the first rifle btw what du get

Oh, so I could get away with permision from just the one ???

I may as well get two just to be on the safe side seen as its no real trouble.

So should i tell the Guards thats its for shooting vermin ? Its just that I could do with out the hassel of having to join a club.

Thanks very much, got myself a CZ 452 LUX. I hear the 452s are nice. Cant wait to get my hands on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Theres lot of CZ 452 owners on this board, myself included. A very well respected bit of kit. Good luck with the application and welcome to our world.

Hezz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

It is good to join a club for lots of reasons:

1) You learn how to use a firearm safley
    2) You will learn lots of stuff that will enable you to enjoy the sport more
    3) It may well mean that you will become a better shot.
    4) Its great fun!

By the way the other are correct, that is a good rifle, you cant go wrong with that

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I will look into it but as far as i am aware there are not any clubs near me (Naas).
    Am I right in my assumtion that I can still get this licence with just the permission from the land owners ?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

duckmusic wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, I will look into it but as far as i am aware there are not any clubs near me (Naas).
    Am I right in my assumtion that I can still get this licence with just the permission from the land owners ?

You should give Hilltop a visit, its not that far away. I can travel from Castledermot to there in just over an hour.

Hezz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Shooting vermin is fine as a requirment and all that you need to go with it are the permissions.

Joining a club may have its advantages but its not to everyones taste if you have land where you can practice on targets and zero you should be fine.

Think we should start a CZ 452 pics thread

• Advertisement

Thanks very much everybody for all the help,
    I got one of the permission letters last night so it wont be too long till i apply for the licence. Hopefully before the weekend. :p

And a picture gallery of CZ 452s would be cool allright

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Joining a club may have its advantages but its not to everyones taste
    While in the long run that can be true, you need to take two things into account;
    1) For someone starting off, they have to learn to shoot safely; especially so if they intend to go plinking in their back yards. Clubs are the best place in the country to do that.
    2) The changes to the firearms acts will make it illegal to engage in target shooting anywhere but on a certified target shooting range. So as of sometime next year, this question will be moot - if you want to shoot targets, you'll have to be in a club.

Well i went in today about my licence and the guard on the desk told me that I had missed the dates for application and would have to wait until the 31st of July to apply again.
    I'm not sure if this is true so am ringing the dealer tomorrow to ask. Does anybody know ??? :confused:

If it is true it fecks up my plan of getting it for christmas

Complete poppycock dm. You can apply for a licence any day of the year; July 31 is the day that the licences all expire (regardless of when they were applied for).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Agreed .. complete rubbish !

Any day of the year..!

Agreed with Sparks and jaycee.

...unless...

...is there any possibility of some sort of 'moratorium' on new licences in the run up to the introduction of the new 'three year licence' system?

Just a thought...
    If it is, it'd be something of a bolt from the blue; I'd be of the opinion that the Garda in question didn't know what they were talking about (to put it kindly :rolleyes:).

No, no moratorium's been mentioned by the DoJ at any point Rovi. Nor by any Garda I've ever talked to. There'd be no legal basis for one, for a start.

Rovi wrote:
    Agreed with Sparks and jaycee.

I'd be of the opinion that the Garda in question didn't know what they were talking about (to put it kindly :rolleyes:).

I think you are right. I’m ringing the dealer today anyway so that I can go back in and tell the Guard that he is wrong. Hopefully I will meet a guard that has a better understanding of the law. I wish people would not pretend they know what they are talking about when they don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

As was pointed out by Des Crofin (NARGC) lately to members, get everything in writing, especially why they are not accepting your application. Get the Garda name also.
    Keep a record of all interactions with the Gardai it will help you in the long run should your application have trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

duckmusic wrote:
    Hopefully I will meet a guard that has a better understanding of the law. I wish people would not pretend they know what they are talking about when they don’t

let us know if you do, not many out there :)

was it near dinner time when you went in ? :D

• Advertisement

This is turning out to be a rather difficult procedure.
    I rang the firearms dealer and he told me to ring the firearms officer and book a meeting with her, which i did but it turns out she only works nights !!!!

Hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

duckmusic wrote:
    I rang the firearms dealer and he told me to ring the firearms officer and book a meeting with her, which i did but it turns out she only works nights !!!!

Hassle

That happened to me, fao like a unicorn as i like to say. Upon reading your post in referewnce to the emboldened part, can i just say "OOOUUUCCCHHHH!":eek:

newby.204 wrote:
    That happened to me, fao like a unicorn as i like to say. Upon reading your post in referewnce to the emboldened part, can i just say "OOOUUUCCCHHHH!":eek:
    Why so???

Most of the Firearms Officers I've dealt with over the years have been women, and they've all been nothing less than professional, courteous, and helpful. They've returned phone calls, followed up enquiries, and been cheerful and friendly at all times. I've never had any reason to complain about any of them; unlike one or two of their male colleagues, who have led me a merry dance on occasion.

I fail to see how the gender of any particular Firearms Officer, in and of itself, has any bearing on how proceedings are conducted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

My experience has been the same as Rovi. The female FO I delt with told me that she had no understanding about firearms whatsoever, but once I satisfied her with my reasons for wanting what I wanted she was very helpful. However experience has taught me that is is very important to:
    1) Keep a copy of everything that you send to the Gardai, land permissions, recipts,letters etc.
    2) Keep a log of everything you do when applying for your firearms certificate, dates details etc.
    3) Deal directly with the FO all of the time, not the others. That way you avoid confusion, paperwork getting "lost" as well as disimformation.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

QUOTE=flight93]My experience has been the same as Rovi. The female FO I delt with told me that she had no understanding about firearms whatsoever[/QUOTE],
    Thats Scary!!!!:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

duckmusic wrote:

Hassle

Their night shift starts at ten o clock, surely thats early enough to pop over to meet her. My FO can be tricky to get a hold of too but you have to bite the bullet (no pune intended) and get over there. :D

Well I had my meeting with her today and went very well :)
    I’m fairly confident that i will get it. Just have to sort out the gun safe and stuff first.

Don’t think I will have it by Christmas morning as I was hoping.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

How long are applications taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

duckmusic wrote:
    Don’t think I will have it by Christmas morning as I was hoping.....:(

Remember, a firearm isn't just for Christmas, it's for life :D .

"Hey, look what Santa got me................a nice gun"

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

just on a slightly diff line

when changing details on a cert is the orginal taken from you for the period of time it takes or is it a case of a new licence issued and then the other is revoked,,, having an unlicenced gun is not a prob

Advertisement