Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First gun licence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The licence is taken off you for the period of time it takes, which is approximately 60 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

civdef wrote:
    The licence is taken off you for the period of time it takes, which is approximately 60 seconds.

???
    so what exactly happens

You hand the guard the licence, they write in the new details and stamp them, then hand it back.

no re typing at all??

it seems a bit strange to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Depends on what you mean by a change to the cert.

Things like changing the amount of ammo or other similar changes are just written in with pen and then signed to state that the changes where done by a authorized person. For things like a calibre change or change in maker i guess depends on your FO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Do you know if its that straight forward changing from
    a limited to an unlimited licence for a shotgun...?

It's a different licence, so you make a new application. Same would happen going from a shotgun to a rifle.

Depends on what you mean by a change to the cert.

Things like changing the amount of ammo or other similar changes are just written in with pen and then signed to state that the changes where done by a authorized person. For things like a calibre change or change in maker i guess depends on your FO.

i'm changing mossberg .22 serial XXXXXX
    th a Cz .22 serial XXXXXXX2

are those changes done in pen?
    this seams easyer than i was expecting

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

My uncle had two changes made to his shotgun cert (old gun traded for new gun which broke was replaced by newer gun) and it was all done in pen on his cert, there were stamps and signatures all over it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

maglite wrote:
    i'm changing mossberg .22 serial XXXXXX
    th a Cz .22 serial XXXXXXX2

are those changes done in pen?
    this seams easyer than i was expecting
    All else being equal, that's it.

Changing the action type (Single Shot, Bolt Action, Semi-Automatic) may or may not get done at the counter, it depends on the seniority/authority of the Garda/Firearms Officer you happen to be dealing with at that very moment. The same goes for a calibre change, especially if you're going 'bigger'.

I've always found it best to deal with the actual Firearms Officer for licence amendments, as they have the authority to change most things off their own bat. While it can (in theory) be done by any Garda, many, especially those fresh out of Templemore, are reluctant to mess with firearms stuff without the go-ahead of a senior officer.

My last licence amendment, for example, changed the maker's name (CZ -> Sako), the serial number (obviously), and the calibre (.243 -> .308). All done in biro, at the counter, as I chatted with the Firearms Officer making the changes. It took about two minutes once they came to the counter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement