Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the best sales???

Options
  • 21-11-2006 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

When is the best time to buy timber floors,tiles furniture,ect, is it best to wait for the January sales or do they just get rid of mostly out of date stock?? Where are the best sales on ???:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

January is a good time. Depending on your location though I can give you an idea where to go to save money. Let me know your approx location and I'll see if any of the suppliers I have used are any good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Hi builderwoman,
    I'm in Dublin 7 with the same question ! ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 paddynead

Hi Builderwoman,

I am in the Meath/Dublin area but I will travel any where for a good deal, we are doing a selfbuild and we are doing most of the work ourselves, budget is flooding over:eek: , so any deal would be great!
    Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dordali

In galway, and would like info also!!

Hi All,

Know exactly the predicament you are all in...been there....still there - we moved in end of July, still have rooms to finish painting, some little bits to be completed by trades..(annoying feckers won't come back and finish up...aahhh!), currently getting outside finished....will the drip, drip, drip of money ever end!!!!??????!!!!!

On the great side...it's wonderful to be in a lovely new house that we self built...hassle, yeah...but very fulfilling to know that our input got it together rather than paying out a load more dosh to a builder...hard work at times but SO worth it!

Now as to saving money... check out these suppliers..we saved a packet going with them. Don't have phone numbers for them all to hand. Will post names and addresses if you can't get phone numbers come back and I'll be happy to look them up for you.

I don't think that you will beat ANY of the following for value...we got loads and loads of quote and these offer the very best value...

Granite Window Cills - S&N Granite, Camolin, Co. Wexford.

Timber, Plasterboard, Cement all hardware (for those in Co Kildare!) McCarthy's Prosperous, Co. Kildare. They offer great value in Velux! 045 868114

uPVC Doors & Windows & Suppliers of Artic (Fibreglass) Doors -
    Wright Window Systems (Their after sales isn't the best I've ever come across though!)

Plumbing, Solar & Wood Pellet - Eco-Nrg Ltd, Wexford. 051 565835

Electrical Installation - Midon Electrical, Newbridge/Naas (Travel everywhere) 085 1113338

Insulation - G&N Insulation Allenwood, Naas 086 2518114

Solid Timber Flooring - Mulveys of Ranelagh, Dublin (bargain with them!) 01 4964000 (Excellent after sales service too)

Laminates/Semi Solids - McCarthys of Prosperous I believe...we don't have any in the house.

Tiles - Tom Doyle's, Camolin, Co. Wexford.

Internal Doors - Dublin Door Store, off Longmile Road (Phone them and ask them if they have a sale on or when their next one is..we got solid mahogany doors for 99euro from them.

Bathroom Fittings - Bagenalstown Country Tiles, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow & PJ Nolan's, Tullow Road, Carlow.

Fireplaces - Old Charm Fireplaces, Royal Oak, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow. 087 2057895 or 059 9720686

Fitted Kitchens - Diamond Woodcraft, Carlow.

Beds, lockers, wardrobes, bookcases, tv units, coffee tables, side boards etc - Lifestyle Furniture Portlaoise make fab furniture. Watch out for for their weekend sales. Next one Jan. Call them and ask to go on their mailing list. Well worth travelling to.

Leather suites - Michael Murhpy's Newbridge..watch out for their Jan sale

All of the above are more than willing to deal with anyone from any part of the country and can usually arrange delivery and fitting. If not there are several courier companies, one in a particular based in South East that if you need to arrange collection of any item deliver nationwide at a very very reasonable cost...can highly recommend them. It's always worthwhile to travel for a bargain.

By the way if any of you need a sold timber front or rear door....I have four for sale. Two solid mahogany with two glass panels. Two solid oak doors with small square window..you know the ones that are all the rage at the moment. All genuine and brand new. We bought them in a sale and then decided to put in a fibreglass Artic door.

Hope this info help. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Good on you BuliderWoman,

I am currently looking for bathroom tiles. Just a quick question - does Tom Doyle's in Camolin have a large range? We would be travelling from North Dublin so am wondering if it's worth the trip?

Tks

D

No problem Dools. Tom Doyles have a HUGE range of tiles. I was shopping in Co Kildare and in Dublin for tiles and really could not see anything that I liked that could afford....all 140 reduced to 70 per square yard etc. I went down there and found LOTS of tiles that I liked at really good prices... around 25 upwards will get you some really nice tiles down there. If you have something in mind phone the shop and ask them if they have what you want. I was looking for tiles for ensuite floor and could find nothing in the colours I wanted under 450euro in Co. Kildare went to Tom Doyles and got fab tiles for 140euro! Got some fab travertine for our kitchen floor there at a great price. They are negotiable on price too if you are bulk buying and also have a sale in January. Another good reason to travel is the price of their flexible floor adhesive price...50e per bag in Co. Kildare 22.50 when buying in bulk from Tom Doyles. I was quoted 2500 for grout and adhesive in Co. Kildare and bought the same quantities for 1200 from Tom Doyles....need I say more??! They also deliver in Kildare and Dublin but not at short notice. Highly recommend a trip to them. Let me know how you get on if you do go down.

Cheers Builderwoman - just need to convince h now to do the driving :-)

Dools, just pick a nice sunny Saturday morning and tell him you're bringing him on an adventure for some sea air. You could travel down the coast road. You aren't that far from Wexford town (about 20 minutes) either and you could bring him out for a nice bite eat....know a few lovely restaurants there...let me know if you need advice!

Cheers Laydee,

Am from Co. Wicklow originally so we could go see my folks and then just keep driving South just a teeny bit till we get to Camolin.... ;)

He's a true blue and hates to be out of Dublin for more than 5 minutes :rolleyes: "Sure, there's loads of tile shops in Dublin"

D x

PS Thanks for the tip on Lifestyle Furniture. Are going to make a trip in January as we need to furnish the spare bedrooms. Called them the other day and their next sale is on 19/20/21 January. Their stuff looks great.

• Advertisement

Dools just promise him a nice meal or night out on what you save buying tiles in Camolin...I promise you, you will even save enough I think for a weekend away...that might convince him! Let us know how you go.

Lifestyle stuff is really fab. We have several of their beds (bought matresses elsewhere though as thought they were dear there!) and their furniture is stylish and solid. None of this mdf rubbish...real wood. Just had some more furniture delivered from them yesterday got some real bargains a couple of weeks ago in their last sale. Try to go the first day and be there early if you can and you might pick up some seconds which might have a mark on it. Really well worth the early start though. Just saved a grand doing that the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Hi Builderwoman,

I live in Prosperous (just finishing off a major house extension) and pass by McCarthys everyday but never even considered checking them out for wood flooring. Are they as cheap as you say on semi solids compared to the "big guys" in Dublin? We'll have almost 2,800 sq ft of flooring (mostly wood, rest tiles) to cover, so any place we can save money would be great.

And with three kids to drag around, it would be brilliant if I could source what I need practically on my doorstep!!!

BTW, this tile place in Wexford, are their tiles good quality? Just asking because some of the stuff I've seen in tile shops in Kildare is rubbish quality.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave, as I said in PM you should check out McCarthys and Mulveys for prices.

You won't beat Tom Doyle's for tiles. Excellent quality. Agree stuff around Kildare is rubbish. You will get tiles from 25euro per square yard in Tom Doyle's that they would be charging 50-70 euro for up here in a so called "sale"!! Check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Not sure if its still on, but Tom Doyles had an excellent end of line/warehouse sale on last week.

Hi Builderwoman,

Congrats on moving in to your new house.
    Thanks for all the great info, I really appreciate it. you need to add this to the sticky list as it is in bad need of an update. Must add some of my own info too.

Will be defo heading south in January :)
    A friend of mine mentioned Tom Doyle's, Camolin, Co. Wexford also. Sounds like it is the place to go.

I am also on the search for white goods I think I will start a new tread for that one.

Just out of interest what kind of Kitchen did you go for? And are you happy?
    In the middle of big kitchen decisions at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Dave, as I said in PM you should check out McCarthys and Mulveys for prices.

You won't beat Tom Doyle's for tiles. Excellent quality. Agree stuff around Kildare is rubbish. You will get tiles from 25euro per square yard in Tom Doyle's that they would be charging 50-70 euro for up here in a so called "sale"!! Check them out.

Mulvey's of Ranelagh !

I always thought they were the dearest shop on the planet with pretty gruff staff to add to it !

But I take your word for it on the flooring.

Paddynead, we went for character oak. Fab with granite worktop. Love it and so does everyone who comes into our kitchen. Shop around though. Same doors from others were thousands..yes thousands more expensive!

Reyman..yeah Mulveys were very good to deal with. Their shop is very unimpressive but they have a long tradition and association of selling Canadia floors (they used to be owned by one company) and they offer very competitive prices and have EXCELLENT sales. Phone them and ask when their next one is. After sales is excellent too.

Thanks Builderwoman,
    your kitchen sounds V nice. it is such a big decision as it will be the place we spend most of our time, Found a place in Trim Co.Meath, Heritage Kitchens, the lady we delt with is very experienced and has loads of good ideas, They make the kitchens in the factory beside the showroom. went to a few other places and the staff were not that great and had to send of the designs to there “designer” and I was not to impressed with the designers design. Bit of the subject. Thanks again for all the info.

Advertisement