Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF2 Problems

Options
  • 21-11-2006 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

I'm bought BF2 about a month ago and, in the mean time, I upgraded my system. Currently, I'm running a 3700+ 1G RAM 7600GT system, but when I initially try to log on to a server (usually highly populated ones) it can take about 3+ minutes for the game to "verify" the server and, even then, I often get kicked at the point of log on. This seems to take much longer than my old 3000+ 6600gt system. Even after I successfully log on there is usually a large delay (for about 30 seconds) where I cant move my mouse to select a team or class and sounds are repeated on a loop. This happens at the beginning of every map (though the game runs smoothly) and really puts me off playing.

I've got the latest graphics drivers installed and I'm running the previous game patch (1.4 I think). This problem doesn't arise in other games such as Nightfall.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

1. The delay at the start of a round is often down to how much RAM your system has.

2. After changing your gfx card it's really worth either reinstalling the game or an easier way is to delete the BF2 data in the 'cache' folder in your 'my docs\bf2\ folder.

3. The times it takes to verify can often depend on the speed of your hard drive and if you've defraged recently.

4. The time it takes to log in to your account depends on how many servers you have in your favourites list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Thanks for the reply.

I have 1G of RAM which I assume would be enough to run the game without this happening.

Not sure of my HDD speed, but I'm using the same HDD that I had on my older system, which, as I said, didn't have this same problem logging on problem. I generally defrag my drive at least one a week , and every time after a major install.

As for favourites, I only have about 5 listed.

I'll take your advice and reinstall the game. I may reinstall the graphics drivers also as the screen on games seems to be slightly offset (it's not the monitor orientation). As an example, when I play BF2 there is a thin red line (a couple of pixels wide) running alone the top of the left side of the screen at the start up screen (EA and Dice logos). It seems to go away when I play the game though. However, I doubt that this has anything to do with my problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well its not enough. To stop that load in delay things ya really need about 2 gig. Well my 6600gt system with 2 gigs of ram has load in lag than my 7600gt with 1 gig. I really need to get more ram for my more powerfull machine. But I rember with my 6600 going from 1 gig to 2 gig the huge difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

spooky is IMHO correct for the RAM.

I used have 1Gb and suffered from a 10 sec lag at the start of each round.
    An extra 2gb cured the problem and also speeded up the loading times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Thanks guys... maybe in the next while I'll look into buying a another 512mb or Gig. Added to the RAM issue, I've been having some sound problems which have been causing massive lag on my system when playing back mp3's - I assume that this, more than the lack of RAM, has contributed to the poor game performance. I like the game, but I'm of the opinion that in certain areas it could have been better designed. However, that's for another thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement