Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco to establish global R&D centre in Galway

Options
  • 21-11-2006 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

This was announced at lunch time. Did anyone hear where they are going working from? What part of Galway?

“Investment by the world leader in networking is a superb win for Ireland, which will create 200 new technical and engineering positions,” says Minister Martin TD.
    Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment Micheál Martin TD announced today (Tuesday 21st November 2006) that Cisco, the worldwide leader in networking products and services, is to establish a dedicated world-class Research & Development Centre in Galway, with the support of IDA Ireland. Cisco develops and sells networking and communication technology products and services for transporting data, voice and video to customers worldwide. The investment will be undertaken by Cisco subsidiary Cisco Internetworking (Ireland) Limited.

The Galway centre will be an integral part of Cisco’s future worldwide Research & Development activities. It will initially employ 50 skilled graduates and is projected to grow to 200 positions over the next three years for people at degree level and above, with a number of positions requiring Master and PhD qualifications.

The Galway centre represents an important addition to the global R&D function of Cisco’s Voice Technology Group and will be involved in the development of new applications and services for its Unified Communications business. Cisco’s vision of Unified Communications is to help reduce communication chaos that disrupts business processes and slows decision making by using the intelligence in the network to connect to the right person the first time, using the most available, accessible communication medium.

Minister Martin said “This investment is a superb win for Ireland coming as it does from a truly global household name of the calibre of Cisco and involving R&D that will further push-out the frontiers of global communications through the development of next-generation products and services. It is a further significant increase in the benchmark by which other global companies can judge Ireland’s abilities to successfully support cutting-edge highly sophisticated technological R&D and of our ability to provide the required numbers of the most knowledgeable and skilled graduates for to-day’s global businesses.”

“The Galway centre will firmly embed Cisco, the world’s leading networking company, in Ireland, where it will undertake research at the very heart of Cisco’s new growth strategy, a key part of which includes its Unified Communications business. Cisco has been a major target company for IDA Ireland for quite some time and the location of this R&D centre here was achieved against strong competition. Cisco is also to investigate the opportunities for collaborative R&D with both industry and academic partners in Ireland,” continued Minister Martin.

“In addition, the provision of IDA Ireland’s assistance to the company clearly further demonstrated the Government’s support for Cisco and for the development of R&D in general in Ireland and is an ideal reflection of the ambitions of our Government’s recent €3.8 billion initiative for Science and Technology,” added Minister Martin.

Charles Giancarlo, Cisco Chief Development Officer, said “Cisco’s products and systems provide the backbone for communications for nearly all of the world’s businesses, governments and service providers. Today the majority of Cisco’s business and customers exist outside of North America. To remain responsive to the communications needs of our customers, we are expanding our significant investment in development around the world. We view Ireland as an excellent area to establish our new R&D facility in the area of Unified Communications, both because of the positive business climate and because of the established talent pool.”

Cisco, through its international sales and finance subsidiaries, has existing Irish operations based in Dublin, which employ 66 people in sales and support operations, which focuses on the domestic market, and a finance (captive leasing) and treasury operation. It also holds an Irish banking license.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I heard rumours ages ago that they would be established near Athenry - but this really could be just a rumour!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

W00t - I'll have my Systems & Networking Degree in 2 years, and the CCNA.. think they'll hire me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

galah wrote:
    I heard rumours ages ago that they would be established near Athenry
    Thats Intel as far as I have heard.
    I really don't understand why tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

new dual carriageway will be passing athenry. if you have money to spare you could do a lot worse than buy a house in athenry. the new oranmore in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

fantastic news, amazing we're getting some quality jobs, those type of jobs rarely get located outside the greater Dublin area.:cool:

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote:
    fantastic news, amazing we're getting some quality jobs, those type of jobs rarely get located outside the greater Dublin area.:cool:

That's what im thinking. I'll have a Systems & Networking degree in 2 years, among a few Cisco certs... I'm dreading going to Dublin.. there MAY be hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I work with Cisco Solutions in my job , but I would not like to work with Cisco Solutions full time.... too many numbers = too much thinking. One of my colleagues use to work for them and said they were really good to work for. He worked with them in Belgium.

Check out: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/snapshots/307.html

Still no mention of where they are going? 200 people doing R&D would not take up that much room.

sgthighway wrote:
    I work with Cisco Solutions in my job , but I would not like to work with Cisco Solutions full time.... too many numbers = too much thinking.

Damn, there goes my Herion hobby :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

sgthighway wrote:
    I work with Cisco Solutions in my job , but I would not like to work with Cisco Solutions full time.... too many numbers = too much thinking. One of my colleagues use to work for them and said they were really good to work for. He worked with them in Belgium.

Check out: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/snapshots/307.html

Still no mention of where they are going? 200 people doing R&D would not take up that much room.

What do you mean when you say too much thinking? I have just finished a degree in digital and software systems engineering. How would I make Cisco aware of my interest in working for them possibly in Galway?

When I say numbers I mean IP addresses. Gives me a headache sometimes.
    For information on available positions contact galwayjobs@cisco.com.

• Advertisement

I tried that address and it didn't work maybe ahad something to do with where I sent it from. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I have a feeling they may be coming to Galway for strategic reasons. Their main competitor (company X) also have a large R&D facility in Galway and I have no doubt they will be poaching staff. This operation is being headed up by the EX plant manager of company X.

Add into the mix many employees in company X are pissed off because they have not had raises/bonuses for about 6 years I think Cisco will look very appealing. I have other info but better not post it.

Are you talking about hewlett packard?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Great news for teh ECE's!

does x = 3com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Well done Spongebob.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

Any feedback from the meet and greet meeting in the Radison in Galway last night?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yeah, drank loads and they were very nice to me :D

Tehy gave free drink? Shoite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

any more details of their plans etc.

I have an interview with cisco at 2.30:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Larry_o_C

Really? For what position? I didn't realise they would be starting interviews already, how much notice did you get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I heard from a reliable source they are going to be bsaed int he new IDA park in Oranmore sort of across from qulaity hotel up towwards Claregalway. ull see they have started developing the site recently.

Larry_o_C wrote:
    Really? For what position? I didn't realise they would be starting interviews already, how much notice did you get
    Software engineer I think. I have already had a phone interview before Christmas. They gave me 2 days notice. The interview went quite well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I work for them already, though not in Ireland. No complaints :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I had a phone interview with them as well during Christmas. Disaster. Phone was boloxed at the time. Had to ask him to repeat everythin and was also a little hungover at the time ( It was Christmas after all). Doubt I'll be hearing from them again.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

guys do you know will there be any summer employment for 3rd level students? I'm in my first year of Computer Network and Optics ( which is all based on the CCNA ) so next summer (2008) I would like to get some work with someone like Cisco, will this be happening in Galway do you think?

Evo wrote:
    guys do you know will there be any summer employment for 3rd level students? I'm in my first year of Computer Network and Optics ( which is all based on the CCNA ) so next summer (2008) I would like to get some work with someone like Cisco, will this be happening in Galway do you think?

Probably depends on whether they are setup in Oranmore or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

Probably depends on whether they are setup in Oranmore or not.

whats Oranmore got to do with that? ( sounds like a smart comment, its not sorry.. )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement