Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League - Matchday 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

que eamon dunphy crowing in the studio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus why didn't Wenger bring on Theo earlier !!! The lad has won the game for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Benfica ro put Utd out 2 years in a row anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Watched Real Madrid and Lyon.

Firstly, if Cannavaro gets the Ballon d'Or he'll have to improve a hell of a lot to justify it this season. John Carew, on his own up front, absolutely dominated each and every one of the Real back four. They were pathetic. I could show you at least half a dozen clips of him playing with them, little tricks, supreme strength and beating people with ease. I would say its the best performance I've seen from a striker in a hell of a long time, but that would be too kind to Madrid's defence.

Madrid got out of jail here, big time. Their only quality came from Van Nistelrooy tonight, with a goal, an assist and some great touches. Robinho blew seriously hot and cold, infuriating player to watch. The penalty save was justice done, as I felt that Cris got a touch on the ball, even if it was a stupid tackle to make.

Entertaining stuff.

el rabitos wrote:
    lol @ utd

Aye, top of the premiership. You've a lot to laugh about!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The switch to 4-4-2 made a massive difference for Arsenal, completely different showing in the second half. The players were so much more comfortable with that setup. Great stuff from Walcott, cracking finish by Baptista.

Job not done yet but looking much more comfortable now, a draw in Portugal will be enough to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Entertaining stuff.

Wish I could say the same about the Arsenal and Man Utd games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Our own fault, loads of chances and none taken. Saha played like O'Shea today.... that chance before the peno WTF!!! Celtic will top the group now and will get Real in the 2nd round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was funny. What is fergie on?

Mike.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Aye, top of the premiership. You've a lot to laugh about!

so were charlton last season for a few games. they didnt win the fuppin thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I do not believe that... Man utd...crap!!!! celtic.... crap!!!!! i sat there motionless staring at crap! when Jarosik was fouled I said to those around me "here we go, naka will do what he does best and nicely place a postage stamp on it" and he did. I saw the peno given and I said to my brother...."watch this, I guarantee Saha will step up and take this and the keeper will get a touch on it at least" and he did. its all too predictable when they play like that. That is the Louis Saha we really know and that was the Cristiano Ronaldo we really know. Giggs, needs to go at players more. What Fergie was doin with Rooney where he was I dont know because if he was trying to play 5 across to hold off Celtic then hes nuts. Then on come the big boys to save the day. Evra and Oshea. It just shows how weak we really are. Celtic didnt deserve a win but neither did we and it was a great goal to win it but all it takes is another half yard to the left for VDS to stand and he'd have it. If they knew anything about the players on the other team like Naka theyd have known exactly where he would shoot. thats all he does. and he does it great! :rolleyes: #

Bring on Benfica in OT and we'll be in the Uefa cup, youll see.

BRING ON CHELSEA!!! I CANT WAIT TO GO TO THIS MATCH NOW!

this was a full Utd squad. Complete full strength that has been doin great in the league but Chelsea will murder us on Sunday if we play like that.

edit:I dont really like the Irish pundits but they hit the nail on the head. If there was a leader in the team Ronaldo wouldnt be placing the balls for frees but for penos.

Dont be getting high and mighty now pool fans, we dont come in and gloat when you loose to United, Chelsea, Bolton,Everton in your opening 9 games and draw with shef united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Hes listening to Queerarse and his stupid european formations again. 5 across the middle against Celtic is ridiculous.

Am I right in saying Celtic are through now? If Benfica win at OT they have 10 points so UNited will have 9. If Celtic lose in Copenhagen they will also have 9 points but go through on their head to head against United. Is that right or is it goal difference on all games?

evad_lhorg wrote:
    I do not believe that... Man utd...crap!!!! celtic.... crap!!!!! i sat there motionless staring at crap! when Jarosik was fouled I said to those around me "here we go, naka will do what he does best and nicely place a postage stamp on it" and he did. I saw the peno given and I said to my brother...."watch this, I guarantee Saha will step up and take this and the keeper will get a touch on it at least" and he did. its all too predictable when they play like that. That is the Louis Saha we really know and that was the Cristiano Ronaldo we really know. Giggs, needs to go at players more. What Fergie was doin with Rooney where he was I dont know because if he was trying to play 5 across to hold off Celtic then hes nuts. Then on come the big boys to save the day. Evra and Oshea. It just shows how weak we really are. Celtic didnt deserve a win but neither did we and it was a great goal to win it but all it takes is another half yard to the left for VDS to stand and he'd have it. If they knew anything about the players on the other team like Naka theyd have known exactly where he would shoot. thats all he does. and he does it great! :rolleyes: #

Bring on Benfica in OT and we'll be in the Uefa cup, youll see.

BRING ON CHELSEA!!! I CANT WAIT TO GO TO THIS MATCH NOW!

this was a full Utd squad. Complete full strength that has been doin great in the league but Chelsea will murder us on Sunday if we play like that.

Calm down calm down, we didnt start playing 4-4-2 until the 70th minute. Before that we should of being about 3-0 up. I'm not suprised barca are the only team to beat Celtic at home in the champos league. We only have to draw against Benfica and we are through. I'm more worried about Chelsea on Sunday

bucks73 wrote:
    Hes listening to Queerarse and his stupid european formations again. 5 across the middle against Celtic is ridiculous.

Am I right in saying Celtic are through now? If Benfica win at OT they have 10 points so UNited will have 9. If Celtic lose in Copenhagen they will also have 9 points but go through on their head to head against United. Is that right or is it goal difference on all games?

No if celtic loose and we win or draw we top. Benfica have to beat us to go through.

If Celtic draw and we win, we top

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Both Celtic and Man Utd were very poor. The standard of football was rubbish, awful match.

RasTa wrote:
    Calm down calm down, we didnt start playing 4-4-2 until the 70th minute. Before that we should of being about 3-0 up. I'm not suprised barca are the only team to beat Celtic at home in the champos league. We only have to draw against Benfica and we are through. I'm more worried about Chelsea on Sunday

why should we have been 3-0 up? There was not one decent chance for United apart from where giggs had two decent balls played to him but not much he could do.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    why should we have been 3-0 up? There was not one decent chance for United apart from where giggs had two decent balls played to him but not much he could do.

Ronaldo one on one ? 16 shots on goal and 60% possession normally does it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

RasTa wrote:
    16 shots on goal and 60% possession normally does it

You haven't been watching much of Arsenal lately have you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

RasTa wrote:
    No if celtic loose and we win or draw we top. Benfica have to beat us to go through.

If Celtic draw and we win, we top

I know what United have to do but Celtic are already through. Was just looking for confirmation. ITV gave it.

Im happy to see them qualify. Excellent home record.

After that inept display and stupid tactics from the management they better put in a good show on Sunday and get at least a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Pretty poor match. Wasn't impressed by either team. Great free though.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Man U showed some class in the first half but nothing in the final third of the pitch. Celtic came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half and looked in control for stages of the second half. Celtic were lucky to get that free kick which resulted in that outstanding strike for Celtic to take the lead.

I felt Man U were very lucky to get the free kick which in turn resulted to the pen been awarded. An excellent save from their keeper even if he did move forward before the ball was struck.

Saha had a good chance but scuffed it when he should have been playing to the whistle. Ronaldo was total ****e tonight as was Rooney in the second half. Giggs played some good passes through out, but the final ball was just not there.

Fair play to Celtic though, on their second half performance and with the support of their fans which are fantastic for them in Europe at home. I think that Celtic can go on and top the group now. As for Man U, well its going to be a long 90 mins in two weeks time. Before tonight's game I felt it was a for gone conclusion that this qualification would be done and dusted tonight, buy hey, let down on the big stage again. If only we could turn on our European performances like Liverpool do.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Absolutely sickened! But then again that is just typical of United to do that.

Never a free kick, never a penalty, but great free kick from Nakamura none the less. Totally unstoppable. I predicted him to score from it and for Saha to miss the penalty, as I already said, typical United!

United should have done far more in the first half and I feel this is where United put themselves out of the game. 60% of the posession and absolutely nothing to show for it, Ronny should have buried that chance regardless of Balde impeeding him.

Celtic just didn't show up in the first half, but I reckon that it was down to Strachan's tactics to keep it scoreless going into the second half. Then he could bring on the likes of Maloney and Jarosik knowing that United would have run out of steem by that stage, as I have said which is typical United. It worked and I reckon it was down to Strachan and a bit of luck obviously.

United did not play well apart from a few bursts from Ronaldo in the second half. Scholes, Rooney and Giggs just did not look like doing anything for United in the second half. In fairness to Rooney, he put in an unbelievable ball for Saha only for him to fall asleep once it fell on his lap. I couldn't believe he went to take the penalty after missing that, Ronaldo would have stuck that away easily. He thrives on those situations (England at the World cup being the perfect example, he put himself down as the last penalty taker).

Well done to Celtic on their victory, although not 100% deserved. But that is just down to United losing the plot again. Sort it out SAF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

OMG what a free kick!!! Wasn't a great game but UTD imo were just too cocky they strolled around the place thinking all they had to do was turn up to win. I remember when UTD had a player that score free kicks like that!

Ronaldo and Rooney were way off form, as was Saha.

I see RVN scored to get Real a draw, UTD could have done with him tonight.

Who were the UTD subs tonight? surely that more attacking players than Evra and O'Shea to bring on?

Fair play to Celtic great win and great to qualify, UTD have their work cut out now.

irish1 wrote:
    I see RVN scored to get Real a draw, UTD could have done with him tonight.

Yeah, he might have scored the penalty :D

Other than that he was Real's best player tonight, but that wouldn't have been very hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

RasTa wrote:
    Our own fault, loads of chances and none taken. Saha played like O'Shea today.... that chance before the peno WTF!!! Celtic will top the group now and will get Real in the 2nd round!

So if United finish second they'll play Lyon in the 2nd round?

tdv wrote:
    So if United finish second they'll play Lyon in the 2nd round?

If thats true, I'd much prefer to play Madrid than Lyon to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

1st half was like a practice game for Utd :o Then the 2nd half they lost any composure they had and never looked like scoring it has to be said.
    Without sounding cliché, a goal to win any game but I thought a draw would have been fairer,neither team did enough to get a win but at least if Utd avoid defeat now in the next game (you would like to think they can manage that) then they qualify with celtic which is HFD :D

What odds were Celtic to top the group at the start :p

Nice to see two of the sides Shels have played in recent years pick up points tonight, although Lille could really have done with three.

Wedneaday games

Bordeaux v Galatasaray, 19:45
    Inter Milan v Sporting, 19:45
    Levski Sofia v Barcelona, 19:45
    Liverpool v PSV, 19:45
    Shakhtar Donetsk v Roma, 19:45
    Spartak Moscow v Bayern Munich, 17:30
    Valencia v Olympiacos, 19:45
    Werder Bremen v Chelsea, 19:45

Mike.

• Advertisement

no its a draw for the second round isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

:):):)

What a sensational goal from Nakamura!!

Off to pour a nice big Jameson over ice and watch the highlights :)

Fantastic athmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

its the winners of the groups go into one pot, and the runners up go into another and then its drawn out. Country protection still exists for the 2nd round doesnt it?

AC Milan have really gone down hill. 1-0 to AEK. Lillie will be kicking themselves for not winning tonight.

Next round is a simple first plays second random draw. If country protect exists thats going to make it easy to guess with 4 English clubs proberly through (stay steady Utd!).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

el rabitos wrote:
    lol @ utd

Sorry Phil but may I draw your attention to this from the not too distant past.....

http://football.guardian.co.uk/news/matchreport/0,9752,918304,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

nice to see celtic go through, however fans claiming celtic 'outplayed' utd's superstars need their heads sorted out. :)

i'm a celtic fan, glad to see them progress, nice to see the celebrations and atmosphere but let's not blow this out of porportion; they've qualified for the 1st knock out phase.

Im glad to see Utd put under pressure in a way. The heat will be turned on full notch, at home, against a thorn of a side in Benfica, it will be a tough match.

If we're to win the CL this year, these are the type of games all utd players should be relishing. I fully expect Utd to beat Benfica, they've had an off-spell lately results wise and escaped with victories here and there but overall, the performances have been quite good.

It's a case of getting everyone gee'd up and ready to rumble. Celtic have the mental attitude utd need to go all the way, Utd have the skills Celtic need to go all the way.

AC Milan have really gone down hill. 1-0 to AEK. Lillie will be kicking themselves for not winning tonight.

Anyone see former Southampton nutcase Jelle van Damme tonight? What was he thinking?

smemon wrote:
    however fans claiming celtic 'outplayed' utd's superstars need their heads sorted out. :)

Ahem, where do you get this from? I certainly have not seen this.
    i'm a celtic fan, glad to see them progress, nice to see the celebrations and atmosphere but let's not blow this out of porportion; they've qualified for the 1st knock out phase.

Im glad to see Utd put under pressure in a way. The heat will be turned on full notch, at home, against a thorn of a side in Benfica, it will be a tough match.

If we're to win the CL this year, these are the type of games all utd players should be relishing. I fully expect Utd to beat Benfica, they've had an off-spell lately results wise and escaped with victories here and there but overall, the performances have been quite good.

It's a case of getting everyone gee'd up and ready to rumble. Celtic have the mental attitude utd need to go all the way, Utd have the skills Celtic need to go all the way.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

United wont be winning any CL this year. The sooner we get knocked out of this thing the better so we can concentrate on the league, which should be our main goal this year.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote:
    Sorry Phil but may I draw your attention to this from the not too distant past.....

http://football.guardian.co.uk/news/matchreport/0,9752,918304,00.html

and that makes tonights result any less funny...how?

el rabitos wrote:

Just as funny ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

el rabitos wrote:
    Well UTD only lost 1 nil away from home compared to Liverpool losing 2 nil at home.

But hey if you want to laugh at UTD's result by all means feel free because I have been laughing at Liverpools league results for most of the season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That reault doesnt count anyway, cos Heskey and troare were playing, thats like only starting with 7 men. :)
    irish1 wrote:
    But hey if you want to laugh at UTD's result by all means feel free because I have been laughing at Liverpools league results for most of the season :D

Not on 28th Oct tho, eh?

Just as funny ;)

exactly. ffs, if u cant laugh at your teams rivals losing u need to remove the pole from ur ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Watched Real Madrid and Lyon.

Firstly, if Cannavaro gets the Ballon d'Or he'll have to improve a hell of a lot to justify it this season. John Carew, on his own up front, absolutely dominated each and every one of the Real back four. They were pathetic. I could show you at least half a dozen clips of him playing with them, little tricks, supreme strength and beating people with ease. I would say its the best performance I've seen from a striker in a hell of a long time, but that would be too kind to Madrid's defence.

Madrid got out of jail here, big time. Their only quality came from Van Nistelrooy tonight, with a goal, an assist and some great touches. Robinho blew seriously hot and cold, infuriating player to watch. The penalty save was justice done, as I felt that Cris got a touch on the ball, even if it was a stupid tackle to make.

Entertaining stuff.
    Having watched Cannavaro closely for over 10 years since he man marked Shearer out of a game at Wembley I would never doubt his quality, and it's no coincidence that Madrid have the joint best defence in la liga this year. He's entitled to a few bad games but I'd bet good money on Madrid finishing with the outright best defence this year.

That's 3 penalty misses this season from RVN... think it's time to hand over the responsibility to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Aquos76 wrote:
    Man U showed some class in the first half but nothing in the final third of the pitch. Celtic came out all guns blazing at the start of the second half and looked in control for stages of the second half. Celtic were lucky to get that free kick which resulted in that outstanding strike for Celtic to take the lead.

I felt Man U were very lucky to get the free kick which in turn resulted to the pen been awarded. An excellent save from their keeper even if he did move forward before the ball was struck.

Saha had a good chance but scuffed it when he should have been playing to the whistle. Ronaldo was total ****e tonight as was Rooney in the second half. Giggs played some good passes through out, but the final ball was just not there.

Fair play to Celtic though, on their second half performance and with the support of their fans which are fantastic for them in Europe at home. I think that Celtic can go on and top the group now. As for Man U, well its going to be a long 90 mins in two weeks time. Before tonight's game I felt it was a for gone conclusion that this qualification would be done and dusted tonight, buy hey, let down on the big stage again. If only we could turn on our European performances like Liverpool do.

At last some one see`s it football wise Strachan got his tactics right, Fergie did not.:eek:

tbh fergie got his tactics wrong when he fielded a weaker team against copehagen. the opportunity was there to have the champions league done and dusted until the new year and instead he risked the team having to go to parkhead of all places needing a result and the prospect of playing benfica probably needing a result against them too.

both winnable matches on paper, but parkhead is a hard place to go on a european night, and benfica are a tricky team with some fine players who can perform on a big stage.

i dunno, just questionable decisions that could cost them big in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

To me this was the biggest football match since the Switzerland game so I'm delighted.

Anyway, Strachan is hopefully still learning after every match. He does seem to learn his lesson and hopefully tonight is the last time we'll see Lennon and Sno in the same tame. After 20 minutes I was calling for 2 or 3 changes and I was really suprised to see 2 changes at half time. Terrible first half performance but what were United up to? FFS Aberdeen would have punished us after that half.

Thankfully the changes were made at half time. Maloney is good enough for a top premiership side while Jarosik did very well. He dived for the free kick but it was over 30 yards out and every team has a diver. My brother in law said it's too far, I said it's Nakamura. :) World class technician.

Poor performance overall by Celtic and it was clearly down to Strachan's pre-match team talk. For all I know he told them to sit back but they couldn't string two passes together.

Celtic are finally through to the last 16. I really worry about the central defence but as a Celtic fan you can't ask for much better than what's ahead of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Lads, lets keep this civil.

Or option B is I start banning people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Great result by Arsenal tonight. Didnt play the best but should lots of guts and fight to get a result in the 2nd half!

Senderous was great. We wont be missing gallas too much.
    Cesc controlled the match like a conductor.
    Flamini was excellant too. Great engine and drive. I want to see more of him in the team.
    Hleb was good also as was Van Persie. Went close a few times but got his goal. Should have stayed on!

Henry very quiet again and adebayor? Not arsenal material. Far from it. Did **** all against newcastle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement