Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigration in Ireland during the 80s, The Departed.

Options
  • 21-11-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

The majority of the academics of this decade were moving to other countries due to unemployment in Ireland. I am looking for photos and any other info (even writings of an interview with people who were emigrating or a video) I can get for a project relating to this topic. I'm not sure of the best sites.
    Can anybody help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

"emigration ireland 1980s" in Google brings up a lot of stuff. I would have thought historical departments in various Irish universities might be the best place to look. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Start with general narrative Twentieth Century histories:
    Ferriter, Diarmaid 'The Transformation of Ireland 1900-2000'
    Keogh, Dermot 'Twentieth Century Ireland'
    Delaney, Enda 'Irish Emigration since 1921'

Use national library for newspapers from the period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I was a campaigner against what we believed was enforced youth emmigration in the 1980's... (remember Lenihans infamous "on your bike" remark?)

If you want to you can PM me and I will give you contact details so I can give a 'first hand' account of the feelings of youth at the time.

Advertisement