Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Presence on Boards

Options
  • 21-11-2006 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has UCDSU presence on boards.ie ballooned this year? Back when i started two years ago they were a minority but nowadays there's a good healthy representation of the union. I wonder what political forces have caused this shift?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

It's more like the Boards presence on the Union has ballooned! Also numbers involved in the Union have increased dramatically. It's for the better. More people involved means it'll be more representative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

You're right, it is very ''hackery'' around here these days. It's a good thing in a way because we can have more informative open discussions about many union related aspects or educational aspects. On the down side, i think the forum has become more hostile particularly over issues like Rossport etc. where it's maybe 3 or 4 posters writing essays in repsonse to each other throughout the entire thread which does come across as intimidating and annoying for non-hacks like myself, nothing really wrong with that because people are passionate but some things get taken waaay to serious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

maybe they realised newswire is just a pile of bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I think when a small few started talking about union issues, it was inevitable that some more people would naturally become more interested in them, while some people would just start to get p1ssed off.

Thus while union resence has increased, I'd imagine there is a stronger "anti-union" sentiment too? Maybe I'm not around here long enough to justify that, but it's just what I kind of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Ive been on boards a few years now, and I think it was all the union threads here that made me get involved in the union.

Also there is the link between the type of person who uses internet boards and the type of person who would be intereste by something like a students union.

And lastly there has been a lot of existing SU posters telling their friends about boards

• Advertisement

For the record how many posters on boards are SU councillors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Head count someone in the su affiliation thread? I'm too tired to do it I'm afraid.

And Yeah i think it's partly people telling people about boards. I know I've got one person posting here more as a result of my talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Ya Dajaffa got me here, blame her

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Also there is the link between the type of person who uses internet boards and the type of person who would be intereste by something like a students union.

Eh?

Stereotypical internet recluse vs. stereotypical loud mouthed hack?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It is a bit OTT? Possible on Newswire. I fear the UCD forum will have a repeat of past events

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I sincerely hope that this forum doesn't become like the newswire. At the moment I think we have a nice enough balance. We have our Union threads but at the same time we still have threads that are just about helping students find out info or giving them guidance and even the odd spammy thread.

I think it's up to us all to ensure that the forum is not overrun by Union issues. Yes representation has increased dramatically on the SU Council this year and the SU in general seems more active or knowledge of it's work is more in the public domain this year in comparison to others and this will naturally lead to greater discussion but at the same time it's nice for that politics to constantly overrun every aspect of this forum and college life in general.

Well that's my thinking at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Dam I wish MatthewVII was on council... then we'd have something good to look forward to every fortnight;)

Grimes wrote:
    It is a bit OTT? Possible on Newswire. I fear the UCD forum will have a repeat of past events

I'm thinking the same :(
    gubbie wrote:
    Dam I wish MatthewVII was on council... then we'd have something good to look forward to every fortnight

soon, gubbs, soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ive been on boards a few years now, and I think it was all the union threads here that made me get involved in the union.

A few people have said this to me too.

I can actually pinpoint the actually thread that turned this into a union breeding ground. It was two years ago (I think) with the thread about the union paying for that protesters fee's. Many people from the union heared that a big argument had escalated on this website boards.ie over the payment of these fee's and that was the first time many hacks heared about this site.

I remember the days when it was just me and red alert who spoke of union matters.

panda100 wrote:
    I remember the days when it was just me and red alert who spoke of union matters.

I remember the days where I could go 2 mins without somone mentioning the Union to me on the interweb or in RL.

Good Times.

I think that Union has just become fad of the month, the "cool thing do to" for alot of people.

Sangre wrote:
    Eh?

Stereotypical internet recluse vs. stereotypical loud mouthed hack?
    Only one or two posters on this board would be recluses in my opinion. TBH, many of us have either our names in our handles or links to us in real life in our sigs.
    Many of us are invloved in societies and sports club (and the union).

No I think the ppl who post on this board do so to keep up to date on UCD happenings, not to avoid them. But thats just an opinion

Grimes wrote:
    "cool thing do to"

I can honestly say that's the first time I've heard that particular phrase used in reference to the SU. ¬_¬

abelard wrote:
    I can honestly say that's the first time I've heard that particular phrase used in reference to the SU. ¬_¬

I just see some people who go for class rep because their mates go for it. I some people who attend to their class rep duties but simply use the position to get on council . (I said some, not all) .

Grimes wrote:
    I remember the days where I could go 2 mins without somone mentioning the Union to me on the interweb or in RL.

Good Times.

I think that Union has just become fad of the month, the "cool thing do to" for alot of people.

Its not so much a prob for me cos I dont hang out with anyone from the union (they smell:D ) and none of my mates now about it.Its quite cool actually cos its like my alternate life that no one knows about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Grimes wrote:
    I just see some people who go for class rep because their mates go for it. I some people who attend to their class rep duties but simply use the position to get on council . (I said some, not all) .

But being on council is the worst part of being a class rep!
    It's all about getting on the programme board. Now that's cool :cool:

j/k

I have no idea why so many boards users are involved in the union.

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote:

Oh yes I agree with this. A lot of people on council have all their best mates with them on council. Its like all my friends have started playing soccer with the mater on a tuesday so I head along to cos I dont want to miss out on the craic. I can see a lot of this in the union within certain groups.

panda100 wrote:
    I can see a lot of this in the union within certain groups.

And now Boardsies..

The hacks have newswire , keep it there in my opinion . :)

oh and while im here I have a beef with council.

I do second Archaeology, apparently thats in the constituency of my class rep who is in The History of Art or something, nice girl but she never comes near the Arch classes or organises anything because she dosnt know / care about us. And thats about 100 people. Wtf?

I wana be class rep .... to organise part...ie.....s... **** it I want on council to see what all the hueha is :p

Grimes wrote:

The hacks have newswire , keep it there in my opinion . :)

It's not nice to call people hacks.

And also, up until motions from council started being posted here (which is allowed by the mods, yeah?) it was almost always non-ucdsu heads who's bring up the union. So you can't really blame 'our' presence here for the amount of talk about the union.

Ah Kate ! I wasnt refering to you !

Hack is the term for everyone who is involved in the SU right? Its in the survival guide, are we going to have a repeat of the traveller thread where people go way too overboard about a miscommunication and hold it against me for the rest of eternity?

Well i dont post on them but is there a need for the Council motion threads on this forum ? The way I see it is there are two forums, one private (this one) and the SU one. Why cant the "people expressely involved in the activities of the union on a daily basis who represent classes and attend council?" ie Hacks post there along with all non-hacks who want to comment on it ? Just an idea is all. Dont go shooting the messenger.

I mean its not that it bothers me that much...or at all... but the motions are available on newswire. Why double post them here. I still think it will end badly as happened before on this forum... Lest we not add another organisation to the list of names of which we do not speak.

Grimes wrote:
    Ah Kate ! I wasnt refering to you !

Hack is the term for everyone who is involved in the SU right? Its in the survival guide, are we going to have a repeat of the traveller thread where people go way too overboard about a miscommunication and hold it against me for the rest of eternity?

No, we won't. I was just telling you it wasn't a nice word. You can still use it and I won';t hold it against you (not for eternity at anyrate). It doesn't bother me terribly but it's got connoctations that I don't care for.
    Grimes wrote:
    Well i dont post on them but is there a need for the Council motion threads on this forum ? The way I see it is there are two forums, one private (this one) and the SU one. Why cant the "people expressely involved in the activities of the union on a daily basis who represent classes and attend council?" ie Hacks post there along with all non-hacks who want to comment on it ? Just an idea is all. Dont go shooting the messenger.

Oh I agree, I think there's absolutly no point in posting the motions here.

Oh I agree, I think there's absolutly no point in posting the motions here.

I move for a Charter edit !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I disagree. It's the UCD board, not the "everything to do with UCD except the SU" board. If you don't like it, don't open the thread that says SU on it in CAPITAL LETTERS. I dislike newswire (layout, attitude etc.) and though I have (had at any rate) an account on newswire, I don't post there. I do post here, and feel that discussion of the issues here is as relevant as it is in Hackville.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think this place has become a sort of newswire lite, for the newbies that aren't ready to dive right into hardcore hackville.

EDIT: haha blush used hackville too!

• Advertisement

Okay im going to be a little Grimes for everyone and hit the sterotypical comments and probably offend everyone. If so im sorry and dont take it so serious.

I get the impression that boards is forming a new clique? The SU clique? mmmm perhaps perhaps perhaps? No takers?

Advertisement