Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Presence on Boards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Maybe there is an SU clique forming. I wouldn't see myself as being part of it, but I do like to have the opportunity to give my 2c on SU related issues here (in the appropriate threads). Am I the weird loner who stands outside the clique looking in? No, don't answer that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Just personally Id rather people give their 2cents on the SU council meetings on the SU forum. :p

Love you though Blush :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Grimes wrote:
    Just personally Id rather people give their 2cents on the SU council meetings on the SU forum. :p

Love you though Blush :)
    Well, I did check with Hulla first before posting the motions up on a thread and he was quite happy with the idea. It seemed that most people's gripes with the Union revolved around not knowing what was happening - and then giving out about money being given to certain causes, etc, when it was too late to do anything about it. As much as it might seem it's overrunning it at least more people than ever take an active interest in where their money's going now.

And the idea of an SU clique? Frankly I'm offended that anyone who chooses to be a more active member of UCDSU than another needs to be tagged. We're just regular students, people.

And the idea of an SU clique? Frankly I'm offended that anyone who chooses to be a more active member of UCDSU than another needs to be tagged. We're just regular students, people.

Not really, some people in the SU in my opinion act above everyone else with an inflated sense of self importance.

More active member of UCDSU is a funny way to describe these people. And Gavin, the option is there on Newsire to look at anything . All us plebs have to do is click the link. Not have it reposted here . IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Just....rofl.

• Advertisement

Shock horror ... grimes and sangre appear to be on the same side .

He's right Singingstranger.. :p

Sangre wrote:
    Just....rofl.
    Christ, if that's the attitude of people if we try and let them know what's happening in the Union then forget it, I'm not bothering any more.

/Gavan throws in towel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Grimes wrote:
    Not really, some people in the SU in my opinion act above everyone else with an inflated sense of self importance.

Yeah, but that's true of all student activities. Some members of L&H and Law Soc for example walk around like they own the place, others are just working hard at something they enjoy... the same is true of most things. In all walks of life there are people with their feet on the ground and there are plonkers.

*edit*
    And Gav's right, we are just regular students, I don't know why that's funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Grimes wrote:
    Like Podge and Rodge said last night (except in their usual vulgar manner) - if you don't like it, don't watch it.
    There's not that many SU threads here, and the ones that do pop up are clearly named.

Christ, if that's the attitude of people if we try and let them know what's happening in the Union then forget it, I'm not bothering any more.

/Gavan throws in towel
    I'm not sure why you're so shocked. The student body has never regarded those actively involved in the SU as 'regular students'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

/Gavan throws in towel

If you're not willing to accept that some people are very contented not to care about the union and would prefer not to be bothered by it you're going to be disappointed often. Simply put it's not as important to everyone else as it is to you.

But the SU is a global force and can help make the world a better place for you!

Sangre wrote:
    I'm not sure why you're so shocked. The student body has never regarded those actively involved in the SU as 'regular students'...
    *edit: I'd go on about affording people respect and trying to be open-minded about the Union but it'd be off-topic. Sangre, you're the mod in charge; if you don't want the motions threaded any more just say the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Sangre wrote:

And they must be right so. Here I was thinking I was a regular student but actually I'm a three headed alien from the planet zog :rolleyes:

Sangre wrote:
    But the SU is a global force and can help make the world a better place for you!

With the exception of the top brass this year ... its pretty bad as a clique. I hate going along that corridor because I always get the "who the **** are you " looks off people along it.People actually ahve stopped their conversations and watched me to see what i was doing there ! With the exception as I said of the toplads and lady.

Rumors of who is running for positions next year make me cry and fear the destruction of everything good in the world. Im not naming names.
    ps: im not refering to the reps who want to make a difference but the reps who want to increase their social circle with their buds ! !

*edit: I'd go on about affording people respect and trying to be open-minded about the Union but it'd be off-topic. Sangre, you're the mod in charge; if you don't want the motions threaded any more just say the word.
    Just because the SU isn't my thing doesn't mean I can't see that it means a lot to others in UCD.

Its just not my bag baby.

And they must be right so. Here I was thinking I was a regular student but actually I'm a three headed alien from the planet zog :rolleyes:
    Oh, I get it. The smilie is there to indicate you were being 'sarcastic'....funneh.

Right, well if the bigger weight of public opinion is that there's too much of an influx of hacktalk™ then there's probably two solutions:
    1) UCDSU sub-forum (yeah, right...)
    2) Having a locked motions thread, one for the year, where they're posted if people want to read them and can easily be ignored if they don't.
    /puts ball in Sangre's and Crash_000's court

Side note, at the very obvious risk of going blatantly off topic and dragging it into one of those threads, what does everyone think UCDSU can do to change this image that people seem to have of it being run by a pack of cliquish inhuman freaks?

can do to change this image that people seem to have of it being run by a pack of cliquish inhuman freaks?
    Ran by? No. Infested with yes.

Was there an option three. Keep it on newswire and USDCU boards ?

I have no problems with the current setup of motions threads, in fact the new thread for each session keeps it pretty manageable and on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

way to change image => get rid of freaks.

Right, well if the bigger weight of public opinion is that there's too much of an influx of hacktalk™
    I'm not sure it's warranted.

On a quick count in this thread, I found just 3 people who seemed to think there's a bit too much SU talk here.

Also, leaving out this thread (as it is questioning the topic itself!), there is just one SU thread on the main UCD forum page. And this is too much??:confused:

cast_iron wrote:
    I'm not sure it's warranted.

On a quick count in this thread, I found just 3 people who seemed to think there's a bit too much SU talk here.

Also, leaving out this thread (as it is questioning the topic itself!), there is just one SU thread on the main UCD forum page. And this is too much??:confused:

you cant count the people who couldn't be bothered posting here any more. I know that's no argument really but you can't just count the people who disagreed on this thread and say that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I deleted that comment because I was pissed off when I wrote it.

fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Grimes wrote:
    With the exception of the top brass this year ... its pretty bad as a clique. I hate going along that corridor because I always get the "who the **** are you " looks off people along it.People actually ahve stopped their conversations and watched me to see what i was doing there ! With the exception as I said of the toplads and lady.
    ! !

Oh dont worry Grimes its not just you who feels like that. I havent been in the 'corridor' yet this year cos I just feel so uncomfortable there:o In general it really is a small minority of people that form an su clique. Most of the class reps this year keep to themselves and just do their su job. Actually all those who I met at the class rep training for those who missed the class rep trainig were really lovely. They were all quite shy and got involved in the union to pick up their confidence a bit.It actually reminded me a lot of a boards meet up cos no one knew each other and was making the effort to meet new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Red Alert wrote:
    way to change image => get rid of freaks.

:D

I feel the SU does seem to have a much larger presence lately. It seems to be getting a lot more like the less popular newswire.
    Personally, I'm getting a bit sick of it, but I suppose a ban isn't the answer either.
    I think the problem is this website is busier than the SU's own.

humbert wrote:
    you cant count the people who couldn't be bothered posting here any more. I know that's no argument really but you can't just count the people who disagreed on this thread and say that's it.
    Anyone who has any thoughts on the matter should really post their opinion here.
    If they couldnt be bothered, then they doon't really count, do they?
    Otherwise, it is fair to assume they don't have an opinion on the matter, as the thread title explains it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Ive been posting on this board longer than Ive been involved in the SU.

I do the majority of posting about SU topics on the newswire.

But when I see an SU topic here, I read it, Ill discuss it.

I didnt start the cans in the centre bar thread - despite being the man behind the campaign. Im running for President this year but will be doing my best to stay off boards during that time.
    I broached the subject with Hulla about a SU sub forum, he said no. As there are few threads about it. And hes right.

• Advertisement

the SU motions threads I can tolerate and see the point of, even though I think if people cared they could easily go to the UCDSU site and read up on them. When those threads descend into who's going to be elected where and who's the bestest secretary ever, things which non-hacks couldn't give a flying **** about I get annoyed. Why are they not locked at that stage.

Advertisement