Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Presence on Boards

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

But being on council is the worst part of being a class rep!
    It's all about getting on the programme board. Now that's cool :cool:

j/k

I have no idea why so many boards users are involved in the union.
    Must like wasting our time or something? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

humbert wrote:
    the SU motions threads I can tolerate and see the point of, even though I think if people cared they could easily go to the UCDSU site and read up on them. When those threads descend into who's going to be elected where and who's the bestest secretary ever, things which non-hacks couldn't give a flying **** about I get annoyed. Why are they not locked at that stage.

Ok I'm in SU and I agree - they should be locked at that stage when they become blithering and cliquey. Wasn't that part of the reason why there was an ammendement made by truckle the the forum charter over the summer or end of last year about people considering before they posted - this board itself was becoming to cliquey. What was done to stop it? A mass banning and issuing of warnings. Now it seems to have worked in terms of general spam and I think people just need to realise that i does apply to SU spam too.

I don't personally have any issue with an election candidate speculation thread closer to the actual elections as long as it would be moderated well and kept on topic by posters but then again I could see that going badly too.

No, we won't. I was just telling you it wasn't a nice word. You can still use it and I won';t hold it against you (not for eternity at anyrate). It doesn't bother me terribly but it's got connoctations that I don't care for.
    Here here you might as well just call us leeches for the way that people think of it. I'm more insulted when someone says it to me then anything. Its like being called a bugger-not everyone knows the meaning

Yup I know i'm partial to my own non good words but still...

SU thread should be kept though cos the newswire is really uber crap-the amount of essays on that! Plus people constantly post under different names. Thats why I think more people have made the move
    Christ, if that's the attitude of people if we try and let them know what's happening in the Union then forget it, I'm not bothering any more.

/Gavan throws in towel
    no you won't. You'll keep coming back for more. Just like all us
    With the exception of the top brass this year ... its pretty bad as a clique. I hate going along that corridor because I always get the "who the **** are you " looks off people along it.People actually ahve stopped their conversations and watched me to see what i was doing there ! With the exception as I said of the toplads and lady.
    I don't like going into the corridor and I'm an officer. Theres something too clickish about it all and I have been told to get lost from an office by a fellow officer. I'm not surprised you feel unwelcome.
    Red Alert wrote:
    way to change image => get rid of freaks.
    OY! That hurt Mr Der

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You know, there seems to be a lot of throwing toys out of the pram here. One in, all in, eh? I like the motion thread. I like being able to say what I think about the motions before they go to council here. Nobody has to read the thread if they don't want to. SS could make things easier on himself by posting the title of the motion and a link to the full wording, but that's minor issue.

Look, the nature of message boards is to change. Have none of you had the internet before? Any of the fora I used before this are shít now, that's WHY I use this one. Hence my not being there and being here instead. If the people who are here, and have been here, don't like how it's going, then that's unfortunate, but this isn't a private playground. All the neighbourhood kids are welcome. I also don't think people who were members before they were on council in one form or another should be unable to discuss something of interest here to gauge the reaction of a different group of people.

I'll give you an example. There's a forum for discussing cheese which is attached to a cheese makers guild. Now, in the food forum, someone who likes to make cheese and is known to be involved in this guild decides to ask a question, to see what general foodies think. What they're asking might be important for all the foodies, it might not, but it's definitely relevant to anyone with an interest in cheese. They're still entitled to discuss it in order guage what people think. Just because a single forum exists somewhere for discussion of a definite thing doesn't mean that everything should be kept out of the other fora that are on a similar theme. Otherwise, there'd be no need for more than a handful of fora worldwide.

People aren't happy about the boat being rocked here. Now, maybe I haven't been here long enough to see what happened the last time that things went overly-SU, I can't remember. But I don't think that the motions thread is a bad idea. In fact, it means that more people have less right to blather that their union does nothing for them. Also, the people who like to use Boards and have become involved as Class Reps and such are entitled to use boards as much as the people who don't. If you have no interest, either press the ignore button for certain posters, or don't open SU related threads. It's that bloody simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

cast_iron wrote:
    If they couldnt be bothered, then they doon't really count, do they?
    Not really, as there are a fair few who ignore any threads with either 'SU' or 'Union' in the title, like I almost did to this one.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I completely forgot to reply to this thread last week.

Right, the way I see it is we have two options:
    Either (i) people stop pissing and moaning about this forum and just don't read/reply to threads in which they have no interest. (That's how every other forum on this site works, and I don't know what makes this forum any different, but there does seem to be this prevailing thought in here that the users dictate the forum content by popular vote.)

OR

(ii) We set up a sub-forum for UCDSU.

Personally, I'd much much much prefer to leave things as they are, but my experience in this forum tells me that people just can't help themselves from complaining, to the extent that changing the name of the forum to "The Official Rant/Btich/Piss/Moan Forum" was on the cards for a while. That means that the only real option is to ban UCDSU discussion from this forum, and move it to a sub-forum.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Well if the administrators create a new sub forum then I suppose it would be alright then.

Anyone fancy starting up a thread in Forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

My problem with having a sub-forum, is that many good ideas for motions and amendements have come from the ordinary UCD'ers on this thread, and many good arguements, both for and against. I think that would be lost if wemove everything to a sub-forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I dont think UCDSU should be givin a sub forum here on boards.
    The SU might come looking for a say on how its run
    and it would most certainly increase SU traffic here (which I doubt would be confined to the sub forum)

none of the discussion that goes on on the newswire would meet boards.ie standards on flaming, trolling or on topic-ness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Well I don't really mind either way usually if there is going to be enough traffic and more users which the administrators actually want to encourage then I think there will be a subforum for UCDSU.

And I don't think UCDSU will have any control over the subforum other than regular users being made a moderator.It is possible a regular user who is affliated to UCDSU could be made a moderator but would it really make any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Setting up a UCDSU subforum wouldn't work, because too many threads intrinsically weave their way in and out of Union discussion, as UCDSU is pretty intrinsic really to a daily student life. I mean, take the latest thread where the guy was asking about August repeats being done away with. First reply (Zane) mentions the Union. There's no way two fora could exist without threads being sent back and forth all the time.

Personally I don't think DeV would be all too keen on UCDSU getting a subforum either!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

UCDSU is pretty intrinsic really to a daily student life.
    Thats debatable :p

Anyway I dont think that there should be a sub-forum either, its simply not that hard to ignore SU threads, trust me I have plenty of experience :)
    (i) people stop pissing and moaning about this forum and just don't read/reply to threads in which they have no interest.
    From what I see, it isn't a problem with getting annoyed because of lack of interest of the SU threads. As The_Minister pointed out, there is actually discussion from both sides in most threads.

The problem seems to be frustration when threads descend to the level where people start discussing the members of the SU themselves.

The most obvious example can be seen in the SU motion threads. It was my understanding that they were put in place so that SU and non-SU types could discuss and see the points of view from both sides of the proposed motions. This IMO is a very good idea. There have been 3 of these threads so far, and though they all started out well, 2 of them ended up being about discussions about who is likely to be running for what, and the other one ended up being about some guy who was heckling.

This is where the 'lack of interest' part comes in, because although a lot of the non-SU types are quite happy to discuss the actual motions themselves, the actual politics part they care little about, and very quickly Kaptain Redeyes sig comes into play.

Personally I don't think DeV would be all too keen on UCDSU getting a subforum either!

I would really really doubt a sub-forum getting the go-ahead.
    Personally, I'd much much much prefer to leave things as they are, but my experience in this forum tells me that people just can't help themselves from complaining, to the extent that changing the name of the forum to "The Official Rant/Btich/Piss/Moan Forum" was on the cards for a while. That means that the only real option is to ban UCDSU discussion from this forum, and move it to a sub-forum.

Any thoughts?

How about enlisting a third (not counting Senor Crash) moderator if the levels of discussion are increasing dramatically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Myth wrote:

How about enlisting a third (not counting Senor Crash) moderator if the levels of discussion are increasing dramatically?
    Good idea!
    I think someone who doesnt mind reading all the union stuff and is able to see when the union threads are taking a turn for the ugly,like when we are discussing pierces interupptions and being cliquey

Singingstranger?

panda100 wrote:
    Singingstranger?
    My thoughts exactly. He did a great old job on the newswire last year so seems like the obvious choice

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm not really serious about the sub-forum idea, mostly because I don't want to have to moderate it, and it would be pointless having any other hack moderate it. Secondly, as has been quite rightly pointed out, DeV would almost certainly not approve such a forum.

I don't think there's too much need for another mod either, although it's something Sangre and I will discuss. The problem for me is reading those threads. It truly is a nightmare to try to get through threads in which you either (a) have no interest, or (b) find yourself getting so irritated by the subject matter, that you just want to lock the Internet.

Edit:
    panda100 wrote:
    Singingstranger?
    We'll take this onboard.

Advertisement