Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The importance of backhaul

Options
  • 21-11-2006 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Would you guys care to give you opinions or real world experiences on availability, cost and quality of backhaul all over Ireland?
    I have a real problem with lack of the above around here and in the past, was involved in trying to solve the problem. My contention then (and still now) was that there are thousands of masts already in the country and loads of spare bandwidth on the links over these masts.
    It may be an impossible task but if a business model could be found to drop on this mess of infrastructure, we would really be getting somewhere.
    I also believe that if you were always within 10km of good quality, inexpensive backhaul, you would find more small WISP's popping up and either thriving or being bought out by the bigger guys. Either way, we would solve the availability problem far more quickly and without giving cash to eircom to enable "economically unviable" exchanges.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Yes Your Dame right!
    We need action on this topic, as I’ve done allot of research into the government’s MAN network (enet), CIE, ESB Telecom. To date I have not yet seen the light @ the fibre other then thrid level college's! (HEAnet) other big players would be, Vodafone, O2 ireland, Three, Meteor.

Regards pricing, I’ve to dig up some prices. I’ll post them up later once I find them.

So anyone else deal with backhaul provides in the terms of Fibre, Mast Access, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Vodafone, O2 Ireland, Three, Meteor
    3 of the above are using the MAN's along with about 20 other carriers.
    thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

The mans are reasonably affordable these days for wisps...

Advertisement