Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMWs

Options
  • 21-11-2006 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

What is it about BMWs that is so popular? I know that they look fantasic (well, not the 06 models...) but what else is it that makes them so appealing?

I have only recently started driving, but already I'm eyeing up buying a beamer. I hear they're nice to drive - but what does that mean really? All cars have a steering wheel to go left and right.

And what about the rivals? I know Mercedes are built like a tank, at least the older models, and from that alone I would even consider going for one of them instead. And what of Audi? All these German motors have fairly equal specs and additions (like climate control etc). Is it just down to brand?

It would be nice to get some opinions on this as I hope to buy a beamer or so in the future, but due to sheer expense, it won't be for some time to come. So I'd like to get as many opinions as possible here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What makes them so popular?

perception, perception, perception ....

or is it deception? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think it's a mixture of heritage, rear wheel drive and percieved superiority.

can't see the point in the "cheap" ones. you generally need at least a 6 cylinder engine to actually enjoy driving one*

* or a high powered diesel, of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Nothing lets the world know how great a photocopier salesman your are like a 316 BMW.

Unless once can afford at least a 6 cylinder beemer, don't waste your money.

Bit like buying a 32MB Ipod.

A friend of mine bough a 1.6 litre. 316i for €39,500 - showed her the Lexus 177bhp IS220D for another €5,000.... she was regretful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

My first car was and is a '93 525i and it's been bulletproof since I got it. Solid build, great ride, good handling for a big car, classic looks, nice bit of poke when it's needed, and absolutely great for long journeys. All I've needed to do since I got it was some work on the front suspension, for €1500. I'm pretty sure I'd've spent a hell of a lot more on a 13 year old Mundane or similar. Course I've probably spent more on petrol than a Mundane, but then I'm not driving a Mundane...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I always liked BMWs but no more than many other cars. Until I bought my first one by chance 6 years ago. I've been very impressed ever since. Mind we're talking large V8 petrol saloons here, not 3-series
    cancan wrote:
    Bit like buying a 32MB Ipod

LOL - I love the comparison. Still I don't blame people who prefer a 32MB Ipod over a 1GB memory stick though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think dahamsta (a man, like unkel who is after my own heart on this old German car business) has summed it up. Not that I'd be seen dead in a Bimmer of course* :p

Why anyone would even consider a new one is another matter, a Mondeo will beat a 3 series hands down and is more exclusive these days! For a 5 the Audi A6 would seem wiser and the 7 is proberly outgunned by the Lexus GS (even if it looks like a pile of poo) and Merc S class

Mike.

*'cept old 6 series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Dont buy a BMW, nobody will let you in when you need to change lanes. And people will accelerate when you try to evertake them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    A friend of mine bough a 1.6 litre. 316i for €39,500 - showed her the Lexus 177bhp IS220D for another €5,000.... she was regretful

She was also clearly hard of hearing :D

That IS220D is an gravy stain on the bib of the usually refined Lexus brand. It's very crude and downright loud.

it's only loud on tickover with the aircon running (very annoying) but it's very quiet on the move. at motorway speeds in 6th it's very Lexus-like (and light on fuel!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

unkel wrote:
    LOL - I love the comparison. Still I don't blame people who prefer a 32MB Ipod over a 1GB memory stick though ;)

Well in fairness, if you want something to play music, an mp3 player is always going to be better than a storage device.

Stekelly wrote:
    Well in fairness, if you want something to play music, an mp3 player is always going to be better than a storage device.

You've missed the point entirely. If you want a storage device (A-B vehicle), a 1GB one is bigger and better value than a 32MB one. If you want your storage device to give you music as well (sheer driving pleasure), the IPOD wins hands down ;)

colm_mcm wrote:

Just as well you didn't tell her she could have a genuine BMW 320d for similar money as that Lexus. Surely she would have topped herself then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

unkel wrote:
    You've missed the point entirely.

I did indeed, my bad.

mike65 wrote:
    and Merc S class
    Which also looks like a pile of poo. What is the deal with those arches? Did they help one of the nineties bodykit manufacturers clear out their attic?

adam

The CLS, on the other hand... yum yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

We have a Lexus LS400 & a BMW 318I (old model)

The beemer wins hand down as a nicer car to drive, its like a go kart, really interesting to drive. The Lexus is pure luxury but its more like a video game than a car - no sense of driving it?

The Beemer is economical (40mpg on a run), responsive, and the insrtuments are better positioned than the Lexus.

Neither has given a minutes bother. Just that the Beemer feels better to drive, even though it has three times the mileage, I can't explain.

Can't see us replacing the LS400 with another one, shot our load if you like. The new 530 is looking good.

PS Had several Mercs but had horrendous reliability problems - coupled with bad dealer service - never agian.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    Just as well you didn't tell her she could have a genuine BMW 320d for similar money as that Lexus. Surely she would have topped herself then :)

Maybe not. With the 320D ES you will not have much change left from €51k once you tick the options list to bring the spec up to the standard on the entry IS220D. Add climate control, cd changer, upgrade speakers, cruise control, etc and it gets very expensive. Even a rear centre arm rest is a €130 option on the basic €46k 320D ES.

The 3 Series might be a sharper drive than the IS but it doesn't represent value for money. Some people however maybe happier to be seen in a spartant 3 Series.

Oilrig wrote:
    The Lexus is pure luxury but its more like a video game than a car - no sense of driving it?
    Exactly why a 400 will be my next car. Six points is quite enough thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oilrig wrote:
    We have a Lexus LS400 & a BMW 318I (old model)

The beemer wins hand down as a nicer car to drive, its like a go kart, really interesting to drive. The Lexus is pure luxury but its more like a video game than a car - no sense of driving it?

The Beemer is economical (40mpg on a run), responsive, and the insrtuments are better positioned than the Lexus.

Neither has given a minutes bother. Just that the Beemer feels better to drive, even though it has three times the mileage, I can't explain.

Can't see us replacing the LS400 with another one, shot our load if you like. The new 530 is looking good.

PS Had several Mercs but had horrendous reliability problems - coupled with bad dealer service - never agian.

Strange comparision you have there - A 4.0 litre barge and a 1.9 litre compact saloon.

dahamsta wrote:
    Exactly why a 400 will be my next car

Enjoy the music while you're floating about ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Your average BMW is below average in terms of reliability, is RWD for the sake of it (it doesn't have the power to make use of it), has a scabby spec list, will wear out the syncromesh on 3rd if you leave your hand resting on the gearstick, and is more common-as-muck than a Ford Mondeo.

But... it does have a good turning circle.

My (factual) 2c. Take it or leave it.

JHMEG wrote:
    Your average BMW is RWD for the sake of it

You, Sir, have just made a fool out of yourself. Prepare to enjoy the power of Google which will never fail to remember your post here :)

Unless it goes bankrupt

unkel wrote:
    You, Sir, have just made a fool out of yourself. Prepare to enjoy the power of Google which will never fail to remember your post here :)

Unless it goes bankrupt

Eh... a hundred-and-fsck-all bhp is lip service.

Your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Even with 136 bhp, and wet surfaces, with RWD, drifting can be easily granted. Although a LSD is a big help.

Cant believe a basic 116i cost 30k as far as I know. Id rather have a new Golf GTI for a few grand more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:

I'd agree with him. Is RWD so much better than a well balanced FWD chassis like one would find in a Ford Mondeo? I can appreciate a difference when you are dealing with major power, but with your average car up to 200bhp I doubt it!

The BMWs are nice cars,and I will buy a big one one sometime, but the smaller ones are very very conservative, they are poorly specced for the price, and no more reliable or better built than much cheaper cars such as Ford or Toyota.

I would rate a Mondeo TDCI over a 316i, Who buys a new 3 series to drift?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you want to drift, get a Suzuki Jimny :D:D:D

17 k, 1.3 and 80 bhp ...and it'll shake its ass at you like a Brazilian samba dancer :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Drift....in a 3-series..............only on your PSP or PS2, methinks. Even dumping the clutch on the loud pedal of the 320 only gets.............bogging. Between a complete lack of power, traction control, and an engine that needs a telegram to wake it up............well...........

Nope, imho, 2l is too small for sixes - 4pots respond better, and rev quicker. Witness Altezza 4-pots vs IS 6-pots. Almost the same car, but not quite. Both nice, but Altezza 'feels' better.

FWIW, I test drove a new 320d Tiptronic lately, as I was very, very impressed with a friend's 01 320d - stonking engine, actually - but the new one was awful - suspension was as hard as a rock. Nicer inside than the 'old' one, but outside is a bit of an acquired taste, that's for sure............

Actually, if it's 2l, we shouldn't even include the petrols - the 320d is better than most, anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

BMW's are popular because your nobody in business unless you have a Merc, Jag or BMW. However these models being the businessman's choice makes them also the assholes' choice of car.

Hence the reason why propper BMW enthusiasts are tarred with the same brush. The majority of BMW drivers just know that they are 'good business cars' and nothing more.

I would like to reinforce the statement ::
    Nothing lets the world know how great a photocopier salesman your are like a 316 BMW.

It's like buying a Merc C180 without a supercharger... it's like your nearly there but, not, quite, yet. In fairness I find myself thinking the exact same however the 3 series is as common as muck.

"It's the cheapest one but it's still a Merc, you know."

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    and no more reliable or better built than much cheaper cars such as ... Toyota.

Toyota kicks BMW big time in the reliability stakes.

Advertisement