Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Having some car trouble,worth going to mechanic?

Options
  • 21-11-2006 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

I have an opel astra 1.4
    When I try to start my car in the morning lately it takes
    the ignition a bit longer than usual (3-4 seconds holding
    the key turned) and then once the car is started for another
    few seconds it feels like the engine is trying desperately
    to hang on to the ignition (like just before u are going to
    stall).

This only seems to happen first thing in the morning (usually
    when its wet and cold) and then for the rest of the day the
    car starts as normal, not a single problem. Even if its been left
    off for a good few hours. Would dampness getting into the
    distributor cap cause this? Is it worth getting a mechanic
    to have a look at it or will I continue to ignore it? It doesnt
    really bother me that much as long as its not causing damage
    to the car permanently.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Classic damp electrics. Don't ignore it cos the time you really need the car is the time it simply refuses to start- Sods Law and all that.

You could do a lot worse than lift the dizzy cap and check the inside look for condenstation - check its actually sitting tight when screwed down. Wipe over the HT leads and coil area, (any idea how old the HT leads are?). You should proberly buy new plugs, leads and a new rotor arm.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Thanks for your reply. I'd say it is dampness alright because when I bought the car there was a kind of waterproof velcro fabric covering the distributor cap. As far as I know the HT leads are as old as the car (9 years or so) because I have the full service history and every receipt for everything done to the car in that time. Are spark plugs and high tension leads generic like 1 set fits all cars, or would I have to source them specifically from an opel garage? Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The plugs can be bought in any motor factors the leads from any decent motor fators! They should have a set set suitable for your model, same with the rotor arm.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

A problem with the older Astra and Corsa.

Get one of those little electric fans and put it into the engine bay and leave it on for a half hour in the morning to dry out the engine :D

Seriously I think you can replace the parts easy enough novice job and as said before make sure there is no condension getting into the distuboter cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Opel parts are very cheap I would try a dealer first !

• Advertisement
Advertisement