Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting from the US

Options
  • 21-11-2006 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'll be in Dublin from Nov. 30th through Dec. 6th. I was wondering if it's possible to rent a bike (road/racing or touring) or if it's recommended for me to try to bring my own.

I was also wondering if there are any group rides on Friday, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday? Maybe there's an individual available on those dates who wouldn't mind showing me around? Pace and distance aren't important. I'm just interested in seeing the sights. My wife will be working those days, so I'll have quite a bit of time on my hands.

Thank you very much for your help,

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

Not sure about the rental. There are some links to irish shops in the sticky thread at the top of the forum. Perhaps they rent bikes or sell them second hand. If they sell second hand I am sure there would be no problem in "renting" it, i.e. buy it and sell it back to them after a few days for a bit less, somebody here might do the same deal. Or arrange it before you arrive, This is an irish site where some sell bikes http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=32

I should be out cycling on friday 1st dec weather permitting. I usually start around 11am, and go around the coast, taking in killiney coast, killiney hill, whiterock, dalkey, sandycove, dun laoghaire, seapoint, blackrock. It is nice scenic route, I usually get off and walk down to various beaches and swimming spots for a rest. Where are you going to be based in dublin?

Don't know about any group tours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Most rental places that I'm aware of rent entry-level hybrids (Trek 700 type of thing.) You might find renting a road bike difficult; I would try around the bike shops, as if one had a second-hand bike lying around they might consider renting it to you. Apart from the sticky, www.goldenpages.ie will get you a full list.

If you are up for a longish cycle I would suggest going up over the Dublin mountains to Eniskerry by the Military road and Glencree, it's a very nice scenic mountain spin, around 65k (40 miles) there and back the easier way though the Scalp road. Elevation goes to around 500m (1,500ft) but it's basically straight up once and then downhill the rest of the way. You will want the OSI Discovery Series 50 (Dublin) and 56 (Wicklow) maps for that one. There is an interesting German war cemetary for WWII soldiers in Glencree, and Powerscourt just outside Eniskerry is also very pleasant. I'd volunteer myself only I'll be working weekdays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

doesn't the UCD bikeshop rent bikes? I thought it did, I'm not sure though. I also don't have a number...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

tywy wrote:
    doesn't the UCD bikeshop rent bikes? I thought it did, I'm not sure though. I also don't have a number...
    Yes, they rent Trek 721 hybrids, although they sell off their summer rental stock to students each autumn so don't know if they rent over the winter. They do have second-hand stock though so would probably be top of the list for chances of a (probably an oldish steel) road bike. Name of the shop is the Belfield Bike Shop, number is +353-1-2600749.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Renting a road bike here will be a nightmare, but.....

What height are you? Also, can you bring your own pedals and saddle? (and a helmet will be essential)

Depending on your answers, I have a bike you could possibly borrow for a few days, subject to your being accompanied by someone I could rely on to take care of my kit in my absence.

PM me with your email address and I'll see if I can get you fixed up with something.

Anyone here likely to be able to accompany Brian for a spin when he's over? I'll be working those days too so I won't be available, but can probably sort him out with a bike.

Anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement