Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

turners cross Volkswagen Golf - what's a bargain? 21200EURO

Options
  • 21-11-2006 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

1) Trading in a 97 polo - 106k - looking to purchase a 3dr metalic comfortline - multi funchtion steering wheel + flat tyre indicator + front fogs - got a price of 21000EURO from Leonard motors in skib - but live in rochestown and don't fancy the thought of driving all the way down there to get the car serviced - turners cross would be ideal - with my polo got a price from them of 21550 originaly but eventually got him down to 21200 this evening - is this a bargain? or does anybody think i'll get better deal elsewhere?

2) Definately going to purchase before the weekend but have another dilema - torn between silver/navy/or black - had my heart set on a laser blue but alas they don't do them anymore - have a black polo so kinda looking for a change but the black golfs do look dam good - so do the silver and navy eeerrrr!! going to be a tough decesion!! what do people recommend??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you don't have to service the car in the garage you buy it in. Any VW dealer in Europe can do it without affecting the warranty or upseting anyone.

go for silver - easier to keep clean, hides minor scratches and is generally worth more second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

My last few cars were Silver, look clean and hides minor scratches. A Black car will always look dirty.

Enjoy the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I assume you are looking at January delivery?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jom1133 wrote:
    with my polo got a price from them of 21550 originaly but eventually got him down to 21200 this evening - is this a bargain?

Without the extras, a 1.4 comfortline lists at €22k so €21k plus your car doesn't look like a bargain to me even if your trade-in isn't worth much. Try and sell the Polo privately and you might get a better deal

That said, VW don't do big discounts on Golfs. Because they don't have too. People are buying them anyway. And it's less hassle to trade in...

What's the list price of the extras?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

God help you if you have to deal with Turners Cross after sales dept. You'll be tearing your hair out. But as previously stated,, the warranty is pan-european so any dealer will be able to help you should you experience any difficulties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

With regard to the extras, i'd dump the lot if it allowed you to stretch to a/c.

Anan1 wrote:
    With regard to the extras, i'd dump the lot if it allowed you to stretch to a/c.

Climate control is standard on the comfortline afaik

Why do find it so important? Personally I don't care much for it most of the time in this country...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:

Why do find it so important? Personally I don't care much for it most of the time in this country...

Nope, manual air conditioning has only been made standard on the 2007 model year Golf.

bazz26 wrote:
    Nope, manual air conditioning has only been made standard on the 2007 model year Golf.

Nope back at ya :)

The current comfortline Golf has
    vw.ie wrote:
    Climatic Air Conditioning
    as standard. See here

You have a point though. Even the cheapest Golf will have it as standard as from next year

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

colm_mcm wrote:
    you don't have to service the car in the garage you buy it in. Any VW dealer in Europe can do it without affecting the warranty or upseting anyone.

Errr.........in fact, any garage, dealer or not, can service it without effecting the warranty.

Typical main dealer answer eh :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:

Dunno really, I guess I just have a soft spot for cool cabins & clear windows.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:

The current comfortline Golf has as standard. See here

You have a point though. Even the cheapest Golf will have it as standard as from next year

VW are a bit confusing on this front. They have both Climatic Air Conditioning and Climatronic Air Conditioning. The Climatronic being digitally controlled automatic climate control which afaik is still an optional extra on the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Errr.........in fact, any garage, dealer or not, can service it without effecting the warranty.

Typical main dealer answer eh :)

I've heard enough tales of difficult warranty claims without main dealer history to say "stick to main dealer while car is under warranty" which on a VW isn't too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

colm_mcm wrote:
    I've heard enough tales of difficult warranty claims without main dealer history to say "stick to main dealer while car is under warranty" which on a VW isn't too long.

I half agree with you. While the law now allows for aftermarket service parts to be fitted that are of equal quality I would suggest that owners/independant garages should use genuine. This is purely because the aftermarket suppliers are being a bit slow to furnish proof of conformity.
    As regards who does the service, I think in general the customer gets better value and quality from independant garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you may not value a/c when you buy, but you will when you sell it.........and besides, it actually is very good.

Silver - oh, no..............anything but silver. Can we just get over the silver german car thing already?

Mars Red. Moro Blue. Anything but silver...................

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

my only issue with the Golf would be the engine. (i was going to add 'no extras' to that, but golf buyers know this already)

the 1.4 is far too underpowered. Was underpowered in '98 when that model came out, and its still the same HP, but a heavier car.
    Also, with the new FSI engines, I wouldn't buy the old 1.4 (if they are still selling them). VAG claim the new FSI technology is the biggest thing since fuel injection.
    Test-drove a 1.6 FSI in the A3 a few months back; was excellent, and 15/20hp more than the older 1.6.

(p.s. ended up booking a 1.6 Focus zetec connection, cause the list of extras as standard is fantastic; and good warranty (extendable from 2 -> 4 years for €350). Also, got cash discount of €2,200. Black matellic looks great on any car IMHO.
    investigated the golf, megane and astra initially; whittled down to VW and Ford very quickly. and none came close to this particular deal (only applies to Jan delivery).

I assume OP, that this is for Jan delivery? Also, are you getting alloys on that? (valid question when buying a golf i'm afraid!)

as always its all personal taste where cars are concerned. I like the extras, as its easier shift the car in a few years time.

Anan1 wrote:
    Dunno really, I guess I just have a soft spot for cool cabins & clear windows.;)

I'm not saying it's useless, but in our climate its usefulness is limited imho to the 20 coldest and 20 warmest days of the year. And it's nice to drive at speed while being cooled without the noise that comes with having to open the window. I get more use out of the television :)

No way would I fork out big money for it.
    bazz26 wrote:
    VW are a bit confusing on this front. They have both Climatic Air Conditioning and Climatronic Air Conditioning. The Climatronic being digitally controlled automatic climate control which afaik is still an optional extra on the Golf.

Yeah their terminology is confusing. Looks like aircon (Climatic Air Conditioning) is standard and climate control (Climatronic Air Conditioning) is an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

unkel wrote:

The current comfortline Golf has as standard. See here

The 'Climatic' and the 'Climatronic' are not the same. Climatronic is nicer - set and forget, rather than the semi-automatic climatic where you find youself fiddling a bit depending on the weather.

unkel wrote:
    I'm not saying it's useless, but in our climate its usefulness is limited imho to the 20 coldest and 20 warmest days of the year. And it's nice to drive at speed while being cooled without the noise that comes with having to open the window. I get more use out of the television :)

No way would I fork out big money for it.:)
    I suppose it depends on the temperature at which you personally feel most comfortable. Mine is pretty low, so I tend to use a/c for cooling from maybe April to October. And the rest of the time it's raining, so I can keep the windows clear whilst still having a cool cabin.

Anan1 wrote:
    I suppose it depends on the temperature at which you personally feel most comfortable. Mine is pretty low, so I tend to use a/c for cooling from maybe April to October. And the rest of the time it's raining, so I can keep the windows clear whilst still having a cool cabin.

I like it cold and Mrs unkel likes it hot. The dual zone aircon does indeed do a better job than the regular heating / open window combination

It's nice to have but I would not have forked out (much) extra for it

• Advertisement
Advertisement