Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Ireland soon providing Nokia Unlock Codes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

When I asked for my unlock code and was told I would have to end my contract, I declined. The next time I rang, I asked for the code. He asked I wanted to end my contract, I said no. He just said Okay, charged me the €25 and put in the request for the code. I didnt have to end my contract.

I am just waiting to buy the N73 and I will unlock and sell my 6680. If I cannot get it unlocked, I will raise hell (and I will try bribing one of the guys at the NSC to unlock it for me).

erm... the whole contentious point is not to have to pay €25 on principal to get your phone unlocked,
    a) after the ridiculous wait time and frankly amaturish way the company, feigned or otherwise, declared themselves unable to unlock Nokia handsets..
    b) considering you have paid for the handset by virtue of being with the company for over 12 months (in my case 16 - with an additional premium on the handset price which I have no issues with, however it adds up..) and
    c) other networks do not charge you €25 to generate an unlock code because they are aware of the laws of economics and believe in the basic prinicpals of customer loyalty.

I was told in no uncertain terms as per the companies "terms and conditions" that a request to unlock a handset was an indication to the company that you wished to end your contract. I don't have the time, nor the inclination anymore, to wade thru their t&c to find out if this is indeed the case. I don't remember flagging that, having read the t&c's when I got my handset initially in '05.
    Frankly, I'm not bothered. They dealt with it badly. They underestimate & undervalue the consumer. They lost a customer. They're probably not worried. But for those interested, I hope its an insight into their code of practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Steoob wrote:
    i was told that 3 sims dont fit in any phones but 3 phones....

They will work in all UTMS Phones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Their whole unlocking policy does not work over here. That administration fee for when you are IN a contract is common place over in England, but fact is, they pay a lot less for their phones and a lot more minutes for a lot less cash.

Working in sterling, I am paying 30pounds a month and the handset cost me 133pounds. I am getting 400 minutes a month. No texts. From three.co.uk, it's 17.50 a month for 400 minutes AND I would get 250 texts as well. I'd also get 5 music downloads a month for free. On that price plan, my phone would have been free. So from that point of view, I can understand a handset not being unlocked or a fee to unlock it, as Three are subsidising the handset quite heavily. Fact is, unlocking a handset should not constitute a contract termination. I was speaking with Three and I said I needed to use the phone abroad in countries where they had no service. I was told I could only have the code if I paid my remaining months AND cancelled my contract. I laughed at her and asked did they actually care about any of their customers? I said I had no problems with the service, which I don't, but that's ridiculous.

They will really need to look at how they operate here and not base it on how they do things in England.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got a phone call from Three today looking for feedback on why I canceled with them, kind of got me off guard I have to admit,

Basically explained one of the main reasons is lack of web txt's, as well as no option to buy bundles to reduce costs when you go outside of your alloted txt amount on your package.

ah well, atleast I mentioned the webtxt's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

Im trying to unlock my 6280, bought it on three thinking i could just use a normal calculator but to no avail!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Im trying to unlock my 6280, bought it on three thinking i could just use a normal calculator but to no avail!

unfortunately none of the new Nokia phones can be easily unlocked and they must be unblocked by the operator, it sucks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The thing is, most people dont care about the lock on their phones. I bet 3/4 of the country dont know that they can save money by switching networks and keeping their old no. let alone what a SIM Lock is.

I dont have any reason to unlock my handset until I get my new one, that is the only reason I havent persued or pressured 3 into giving me the code earlier. There is no incentive for me to unlock it yet. I am afraid that you people here represent a small minority of unhappy customers for reasons like the locking issue and issues beyond 3's control (e.g. repeating texts).

I do feel it is incredibly wrong for 3 to charge for the unlocking codes but it isnt illegal, and they can do it if they choose. Nokia also charge for unlocking codes, although the NSCs claim they cannot unlock BB5s, I bet they can with one of their diagnostic cables.

Repeating texts is in no way beyond 3's control! As a new operator it is up to them to have sms gateway queries with other networks resolved before going public and selling handsets to the end-user.
    This whole bs about blaming vodafone here in Ireland (& I can't speak for repeated text issues with operators outside of Ireand) because their gateway refuses to acknowledge an sms request from 3 ...and 3 consequently sending the request (sms) repeatedly as a result... is not simply vodafones fault! Even if it were, it should have been resolved by three in the first instance. 3 should have recognised this as a serious issue and taken proper steps to resolve it instead of blaming another operator. The onus is always on the newer company. This whole blaming others saying its out of their control is frankly ridiculous. And to be fair, if end users buy into the "smoke and mirrors" approach and take it as gospel, who's to stop them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

quintron wrote:
    Repeating texts is in no way beyond 3's control! As a new operator it is up to them to have sms gateway queries with other networks resolved before going public and selling handsets to the end-user.
    This whole bs about blaming vodafone here in Ireland (& I can't speak for repeated text issues with operators outside of Ireand) because their gateway refuses to acknowledge an sms request from 3 ...and 3 consequently sending the request (sms) repeatedly as a result... is not simply vodafones fault! Even if it were, it should have been resolved by three in the first instance. 3 should have recognised this as a serious issue and taken proper steps to resolve it instead of blaming another operator. The onus is always on the newer company. This whole blaming others saying its out of their control is frankly ridiculous. And to be fair, if end users buy into the "smoke and mirrors" approach and take it as gospel, who's to stop them..
    don't you realise that 3 is perfect and all their problems are everyone else's fault?

quintron wrote:
    Sorry, but that is a load of bull. I hate to sound like one of 3's customer care reps, because I am not loyal to any company, if O2 could provide me everything that 3 do now (3G Phone, cheaper bill, cheaper call rates, free access to their portal etc) then I would switch back in a heartbeat.

The repeating text issues is not caused by equipment or settings at 3's end, and is a result of issues with the foreign network gateway. This is not something 3 can fix. Its like you complaining to the McInerney when your house suddenly is without power because the neighbourhood substation tripped.

3 have to negotiate with other networks to setup peering agreements so that texts can be sent back and forth between their customers as well as roaming for their customers on the respective networks. These agreements probably do take ages to hammer out, as is the case when money is involved. 3 Ireland as itself is a small insignificant network and cannot just hammer out deals with Vodafone UK and O2 UK from day one, perhaps those two networks didnt want to peer, or they wanted too much money.
    What these foreign networks should have done is blocked all texts from "unknown" senders, so that if you were to text one of these countries, the message just wouldnt arrive at all. This is how it was with the US networks (except T-Mobile and Cingular) until very recently with O2 and Vodafone suddenly signing agreements with Verizon and Spring (CDMA operators) for texting.

3 are far from perfect, and they have a lot of flaws, but IMO, they offer the best service out of all the currant networks for what I use. If you want mobile internet, Vodafone and O2 are your best bets. If you want international texting, O2 is your bet. If you want cheap calls/texts to the same network, Meteor.

The best thing right now is that people at least have a choice. 3 offer what I want, so I went with them, and I cannot fault them for the service that I have received which has been without incident (asside from the still not working Vodafone Roaming). Now, if I wanted my Unlock code, and I had upgraded the handset, I would be on the phone to them, and I would have contacted Robbert Finnegan who's son was an old friend of mine (went to the same school).

• Advertisement

The repeating text issues is not caused by equipment or settings at 3's end, and is a result of issues with the foreign network gateway. This is not something 3 can fix. Its like you complaining to the McInerney when your house suddenly is without power because the neighbourhood substation tripped.

3 have to negotiate with other networks to setup peering agreements so that texts can be sent back and forth between their customers as well as roaming for their customers on the respective networks. These agreements probably do take ages to hammer out, as is the case when money is involved.
    and they should have hammered them out before they went live. the onus was on them to go to the networks and get these agreements and they didn't do it
    What these foreign networks should have done is blocked all texts from "unknown" senders, so that if you were to text one of these countries, the message just wouldnt arrive at all. This is how it was with the US networks (except T-Mobile and Cingular) until very recently with O2 and Vodafone suddenly signing agreements with Verizon and Spring (CDMA operators) for texting.
    or three could have blocked them at their end. surely its easier for three to only forward texts to networks they have agreements with than to make every network in the world block unknown senders. so its blocking unknown destination rather than unknown sender. i'm sure there's a reason they don't want to block unknown senders anyway.

and the problem was that three never got the message acknowledgement and so kept on sending it and sending it. they could have set their equipment to only try foreign networks maybe five times or better yet flag the ones they wouldn't get acknowlegements from to only send it once.

there's plenty they could have done. instead they blamed every other network in the world. they went live before they resolved this issue with o2 ireland!

I've been an both an advocate and detractor of 3 on the boards in the past. I will certianly give credit where it it due but, equally, I will not tolerate blatent levels of miscommunications ..... from a communications company.

I am not "anti 3" or indeed "pro 3", I like value for money and consequently opted for 3 from day one. They have been great in certain areas but its safe to say..desperate in others.

It is incorrect to say that "3 Ireland as itself is a small insignificant network" when they have the backing of a multinational (Hutchison Whampoa) and funds therein at their disposal.

I am referring to domestic texting agreements, as I mentioned in a previous post, I don't send texts abroad.
    Meteor initially never had that issue to the best of my knowledge or o2, or vodafone within the confines of each others domestic network relations, so in effect I see it as bad business that 3 have not fully resolved this most basic of issues after 16 months of live service.

I as an end user equally do not care of the sums of money or legal wrangling involved to negotiate gateway requests between networks. Just get it done.

Its simple and has been outlined before. The onus is on the new compnay to sort gateway issues out with existing companies.

I also don't appreciate calling 3's customer service and being told that the issue has been resolved and minutes later, after sending a text, getting replys from a colleague to effectively "cease and desist" the repeated text messaging. Its embarrassing when it happens to friends and risky (at best) for business texting.
    I have called (as have many friends I recommended three to) about 8 times over the last year or so reiterating that the text issue has not yet been fully resolved and that the whole issue of uncertainity has led to a lack of faith in the companys text service. Their response? Its not our problem. Call Vodafone... that to me is a pathetic regard for the customer. Give us some bloody credit..

I don't want to waste my time any longer. There are more important things to get on with. We all give out about networks from time to time. **** happens. It gets sorted one way or another. When it doesn't I question it.

If these agreements take "ages to hammer out" they should be done at developmental "pre-live" stage with adequate forsight, like any other large corporation, not as an ongoing customer patience threshold test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

quintron wrote:
    I am referring to domestic texting agreements, as I mentioned in a previous post, I don't send texts abroad.

I've never (to my knowledge) had a problem with "domestic" texts, and while I'm not a big text user I've surely texted all the networks by now. Are you still having problems with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

quintron wrote:

Meteor initially never had that issue to the best of my knowledge or o2, or vodafone within the confines of each others domestic network relations, so in effect I see it as bad business that 3 have not fully resolved this most basic of issues after 16 months of live service.

Like you I have a love hate relationship with three..... anyway if i recall correctly meteor did have issues with texts being sent to vodafone and went as far as to put an announcement in their newsletter to announce the issue had been resolved.

Blaster99 wrote:
    I've never (to my knowledge) had a problem with "domestic" texts, and while I'm not a big text user I've surely texted all the networks by now. Are you still having problems with this?
    Hi Blaster, I stopped sending texts on the three network a couple of months ago but a mate of mine texted me last week to say it is still happening to him sporadically when sending texts to Vodafone numbers. From what I've heard from my friends on the network it seems never to have been resolved satisfactorily.
    neilled wrote:
    Like you I have a love hate relationship with three..... anyway if i recall correctly meteor did have issues with texts being sent to vodafone and went as far as to put an announcement in their newsletter to announce the issue had been resolved.
    Thanks for that neilled. I wasn't aware of that.
    Teething problems are fine and to be expected on any network.. in the first few months.
    I'm glad that Meteor put it in a newsletter annoucement, thus acknowledging the issue and rectifying it.
    I don't wish to "bag" on three but as I previously stated, passing the buck or failing to solve basic issues like this after 16mts is a problem for me.
    3, unlike Meteor never flagged the persistant text repeater issue, or their attempts to resolve it, in an email to me or put it up as a notice on their website. When I called them each time the issue arose they discharged themselves of any responsibility, blaming vodafone for not acknowledging their gateway requests. Thats just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Thats true enough but three have never done a quaterly news letter for their customers (like meteor did) and nor do they have online account management which even meteor prepay users have.

@Cmmdr Vimes: Again, I disagree.
    and they should have hammered them out before they went live. the onus was on them to go to the networks and get these agreements and they didn't do it or three could have blocked them at their end. surely its easier for three to only forward texts to networks they have agreements with than to make every network in the world block unknown senders. so its blocking unknown destination rather than unknown sender. i'm sure there's a reason they don't want to block unknown senders anyway.
    Three could have done that, so could Vodafone, O2 and Meteor, but none of them do that AFAIK. 3's attitude is (like the other operators) simply this. Text foreign networks at your own risk, if we have an agreement, it will work, if we dont, there is no guarentee. Most network gateways are closed to unknown senders anyway. And foreign network gateways should recognise a repeat message from he same sender and drop it if it has been confirmed received by the target handset to avoid wasting network bandwidth. You say, 3 should block outgoing messages to unrecognised destinations, that is more inefficient as 3 would have to maintain a list of country and area codes for the networks they peer with, as well as the individual numbers of customers that port from other networks. And this would only work in countries that have special area codes just for mobiles. This rules out the USA and Canada which not only share the same area codes and country code, but also use regular landline numbers for mobiles also. It is a lot easier to just attempt to send the messages and if they get blocked by the receiver, so what, if they dont get blocked by the receiver, the receiving network should acknowledge receipt. So I still say the problem is with the target networks not properly acknowledging inbound messages or more precisely, not setting up their SMS gateways properly.

@quintron:
    When Eircell started the 087 network here, there were few if any roaming agreements with other countries. Then Digifone came into the market 11 years ago, and they had few agreements with any countries. International Texting didnt work well if at all. When Meteor started, they had no roaming at all, and they were miserable for about a year and a half before they were even worth using. 3 are no different. They aimed to have roaming agreements with most countries so that roaming would work from day0. They had 3 UK and T-Mobile UK and near Christmas 2005 they had the US as well as almost all the countries in europe even if they were just with the smaller networks. 3 are listening to their customers and many have complained as I have about not being able to text to the UK. But what can 3 do if the other networks in the UK decided, no. Their is no onus on 3 to have agreements with every fracking network accross europe before launching. All networks launch when most of their services are operational and bring the others online soon after. Roaming is like that.

3 is insignificant in terms of size and being 3G-Only. What incentive does Vodafone UK have an agreement with 3 Ireland, 3 customers benifit because they can use Voda UKs network and text most of the mobile users in the UK, but Voda UK doesnt benifit as much because network coverage isnt as great as Vodafone 2G.

I have never had any issues with local networks at all fortunatly. 3 did launch too soon and I dont deny this, but, you have to expect that a new network is bound to have a few glitches, I knew that there would be problems a la Meteor with 3 but those that I experienced were sorted after I called them, so, for me, they are the perfect choice, and I am sticking with them. I dont defend their locking procedure because I agree with all of you on that. I dont defend their walle garden because I think its pointless. But I do defend the problems they have which are outside their control.

Edit: Corrected my misplaced Quote Tag, sorry for the confusion CV

@Cmmdr Vimes: Again, I disagree.
    and they should have hammered them out before they went live. the onus was on them to go to the networks and get these agreements and they didn't do it
    this is what i said. i don't know if this is the part you were disagreeing with
    Three could have done that, so could Vodafone, O2 and Meteor, but none of them do that AFAIK.
    the problem was only happening to 3 customers so it was up to them to do something about it, not everyone else
    3's attitude is (like the other operators) simply this. Text foreign networks at your own risk, if we have an agreement, it will work, if we dont, there is no guarentee.
    a terrible attitude for a multinational corporation to have. and as i found out in amsterdam, there's no guarantee even with an agreement.
    Most network gateways are closed to unknown senders anyway. And foreign network gateways should recognise a repeat message from he same sender and drop it if it has been confirmed received by the target handset to avoid wasting network bandwidth.
    the problem was that the other network didn't recognise that three was sending a message so they never sent an acknowledgement.
    if they could recognise that it had been received multiple times, they'd also be able to recognise that it had been received the first time. they'd just send an acknowledgement and there'd be no problem.

and again you're requiring every network in the world to change their software to accomodate 3.
    You say, 3 should block outgoing messages to unrecognised destinations, that is more inefficient as 3 would have to maintain a list of country and area codes for the networks they peer with, as well as the individual numbers of customers that port from other networks.
    you're suggesting every network in the world do the same thing. exactly the same list would be needed to recognise an unknown sender as an unknown destination
    And this would only work in countries that have special area codes just for mobiles. This rules out the USA and Canada which not only share the same area codes and country code, but also use regular landline numbers for mobiles also.
    not true. the network has a lot more information available to it than just the phone number. a phone number is like an ip address to them. the same way my ip address is associated with bt ireland, the phone number they're sending a message to is associated with a specific network. they know who they're sending it to and they also know if they have an agreement with that company. they could easily block it at source.

you know the way you hear a beep if you're ringing a 086 number that's not on o2?
    that's because they know which network they're connecting to. they have to in order to connect the call.
    It is a lot easier to just attempt to send the messages and if they get blocked by the receiver, so what, if they dont get blocked by the receiver, the receiving network should acknowledge receipt. So I still say the problem is with the target networks not properly acknowledging inbound messages or more precisely, not setting up their SMS gateways properly.
    it may be easier technologically but still requires every network in the world to change to fix a problem that only 3 ireland is having.

they all have a way around this problem already. the way around it is to get an SMS agreement with them. 3 didn't do it
    @quintron:
    When Eircell started the 087 network here, there were few if any roaming agreements with other countries. Then Digifone came into the market 11 years ago, and they had few agreements with any countries. International Texting didnt work well if at all. When Meteor started, they had no roaming at all, and they were miserable for about a year and a half before they were even worth using.
    to be fair, that was years ago. no one expected roaming. now they do
    3 are no different. They aimed to have roaming agreements with most countries so that roaming would work from day0.
    as is expected from a multi national network in this day and age
    But what can 3 do if the other networks in the UK decided, no.
    not attempt to send messages to them anyway
    Their is no onus on 3 to have agreements with every fracking network accross europe before launching.
    no there isn't. but if the other networks have told them they don't want to talk to them, they shouldn't keep trying. the other networks shouldn't have to physically block 3 from sending a message for a week straight because 3's staff never tolf their equipment that they don't have an agreement with that network
    3 is insignificant in terms of size and being 3G-Only. What incentive does Vodafone UK have an agreement with 3 Ireland
    not my problem. they should have got it done. and the incentive should have been bags and bags of money.
    I have never had any issues with local networks at all fortunatly. 3 did launch too soon and I dont deny this, but, you have to expect that a new network is bound to have a few glitches
    but to blame every other network for them....
    But I do defend the problems they have which are outside their control.
    this wasn't out of their control. 3 installed equipment that was incompatible with the world standard. it was their fault

i know what you're saying. it would have been better to set up the gsm network to block unknown senders but it was set up years ago and it wasn't done this way. unfortunate but 3 should have known this and set up their equipment accordingly, instead of blaming other networks for following the world standard

this is what i said. i don't know if this is the part you were disagreeing with
    I edited my post again to fix that mistake, sorry, but I was disagreeing with that bit you said.
    the problem was only happening to 3 customers so it was up to them to do something about it, not everyone else
    How do you know that only 3 customers experienced this issue, I have had sporadic texting issues with O2 as well, though I confess, I dont believe there were repeating texts from me, I used to get them alright from Vodafone numbers on occasion. I still do not believe that the problem is entirely 3's fault. 3 probably could have sorted it, and it probably has been by now, I have tried texting foreign numbers before and my nexts never went through at all so I never had the repeating text issue. It could easily have been that the foreign gateway DID have an agreement with 3, but they made a mistake in the configuration of the return path, so the acknowledgements were not received by 3. Thus, it isnt 3s issue but that of the foreign gateway. I dont know because I dont know what networks people were sending messages too and at what time they happened.

a terrible attitude for a multinational corporation to have. and as i found out in amsterdam, there's no guarantee even with an agreement.
    the problem was that the other network didn't recognise that three was sending a message so they never sent an acknowledgement.
    if they could recognise that it had been received multiple times, they'd also be able to recognise that it had been received the first time. they'd just send an acknowledgement and there'd be no problem.
    But as I said, Vodafone and O2 do this too AFAIK. At least, if I was on O2 or Vodafone and I tried sending a message to a foreign number, it would appear to send, I would expect to see "sending failed" for numbers that they do not have agreements with, but that never happened.
    and again you're requiring every network in the world to change their software to accomodate 3.
    No, I am not. I am suggesting that every network in the world follow an acceptable standard. If they do not wish to forward international texts to their customers, networks should set their gateways to return an error to the sending gatway so that it will give up and not try and send again (presumably returning a sending failed message to the sender). If they are going to route texts, they should send an acknowledgement back to the sending gatway so that it does not attempt to repeat itself in the same way the destination email server will acknowledge the IP packets it receives that make up your email.
    not true. the network has a lot more information available to it than just the phone number. a phone number is like an ip address to them. the same way my ip address is associated with bt ireland, the phone number they're sending a message to is associated with a specific network. they know who they're sending it to and they also know if they have an agreement with that company. they could easily block it at source.
    Well, if the networks have this additional information, then surely it isnt that difficult for a foreign network gateway to recognise a foreign text and either forward it to the customer on its network, sending an ack back to three, or dropping and ignoring it all together. I would assume this is standard practice.
    they all have a way around this problem already. the way around it is to get an SMS agreement with them. 3 didn't do it
    An SMS agreement only insures that the foreign gateway will forward texts sent from 3. An agreement is not needed if the foreign gateway is going to forward such texts anyway which most probably do seeing as it costs them nothing.
    to be fair, that was years ago. no one expected roaming. now they do
    Well, when Meteor launched, roaming was expected, and they didnt have a proper roaming service at all for nearly two years. But yet, no one remembers this when they whine about 3. In fairness, at least you have valid points.
    no there isn't. but if the other networks have told them they don't want to talk to them, they shouldn't keep trying. the other networks shouldn't have to physically block 3 from sending a message for a week straight because 3's staff never tolf their equipment that they don't have an agreement with that network
    And that probably has happened. I suspect that Vodafone UK and Orange UK didint (yet) want to talk with 3, and you cannot text these networks customers from 3. I have tried texting my friends Vodafone number, and he has tried texting me, I can get his texts, but he cannot get mine. He has since changed to O2 which has an agreement, so texting is not a problem anymore. But the majority of networks I suspect havent even been approached by 3 Ireland yet, so they are either forwarding texts and acknowledging them, or blocking them (as Voda UK does).
    not my problem. they should have got it done. and the incentive should have been bags and bags of money.
    Perhaps, 3, a corporation just like Vodafone, didnt want to spend bags and bags of money when it holds no major advantagage over its larger competitor O2, and its smaller competitor T-Mobile saw the incentive of having an agreement with a 3G network in Ireland for its 3G customers without paying what is probably a larger fee charged by Vodafone Ireland (if it even lets foreigners onto its 3G network). Who knows. I dont have any insight into these companies, but I can assure you, Vodafone will charge more and demand more, so they will probably be the last network in the UK to sign an agreement with 3 Ireland. Just as an example.
    but to blame every other network for them....
    Meh, Vodafone does this as well.
    this wasn't out of their control. 3 installed equipment that was incompatible with the world standard. it was their fault
    How is 3's equipment incompatible with the world standard, it uses the world standard UMTS 3G network system.
    i know what you're saying. it would have been better to set up the gsm network to block unknown senders but it was set up years ago and it wasn't done this way. unfortunate but 3 should have known this and set up their equipment accordingly, instead of blaming other networks for following the world standard
    Well, I admit 3 could have worked around the issue, but foreign network gateways have a responsibility too, either send the message properly (as if you had an agreement) or drop it. That is how every network in the world should operate.

How do you know that only 3 customers experienced this issue
    tbh i don't but if there was a widespread issue of texts repeating on other networks i think we all would have heard about it
    It could easily have been that the foreign gateway DID have an agreement with 3, but they made a mistake in the configuration of the return path, so the acknowledgements were not received by 3. Thus, it isnt 3s issue but that of the foreign gateway. I dont know because I dont know what networks people were sending messages too and at what time they happened.
    it happened with multiple networks. i think its more likely that it was the lack of agreements that caused it rather than dozens of networks all over the world had their equipment set up with exactly the same error which only affected one small network in ireland, thereby making it not that network's fault.

No, I am not. I am suggesting that every network in the world follow an acceptable standard.

yes you are. at the moment, they don't follow that standard so in order to follow it they would have to change.
    If they do not wish to forward international texts to their customers, networks should set their gateways to return an error to the sending gatway so that it will give up and not try and send again (presumably returning a sending failed message to the sender).
    as i've said, i agree with you. they should do it because this would be a better way. however, its not the way it has been implemented so every network would have to change. only 3 ireland seems to have a problem with the current standard so i see no reason for everyone else to change
    Well, if the networks have this additional information, then surely it isnt that difficult for a foreign network gateway to recognise a foreign text and either forward it to the customer on its network, sending an ack back to three, or dropping and ignoring it all together. I would assume this is standard practice.
    it would seem that its not because if it was there would have been no repeating texts. its not set up this way and 3 just has to deal with it rather than blame everyone else for not setting up the way they wanted.

Well, when Meteor launched, roaming was expected, and they didnt have a proper roaming service at all for nearly two years. But yet, no one remembers this when they whine about 3. In fairness, at least you have valid points.
    i didn't expect it. they didn't even have proper coverage in ireland, let alone the rest of the world. they were some crappy little irish attempt at mobiles, not the mighty hutchison whampoa
    Perhaps, 3, a corporation just like Vodafone, didnt want to spend bags and bags of money when it holds no major advantagage over its larger competitor O2, and its smaller competitor T-Mobile saw the incentive of having an agreement with a 3G network in Ireland for its 3G customers without paying what is probably a larger fee charged by Vodafone Ireland (if it even lets foreigners onto its 3G network). Who knows. I dont have any insight into these companies, but I can assure you, Vodafone will charge more and demand more, so they will probably be the last network in the UK to sign an agreement with 3 Ireland. Just as an example.
    i don't care about 3's problems. i don't want my text to arrive on a business client's phone 1000 times because 3 didn't want to spend the money to get an agreement and didn't set up their equipment to compensate.

and i especially don't want them to blame everyone else for it instead of doing something about it
    How is 3's equipment incompatible with the world standard, it uses the world standard UMTS 3G network system.
    its incompatible in that it should know that it will not receive an acknowledgement from a network with which there is no agreement and accordingly, not send it 1000 times. i was in germany and i texted my mate who was around the corner. he got the text every ten minutes for two days
    Well, I admit 3 could have worked around the issue, but foreign network gateways have a responsibility too, either send the message properly (as if you had an agreement) or drop it. That is how every network in the world should operate.
    should, but don't. you're still expecting everyone to change to accomodate 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Redundant

Hi guys I know you've had a bit of a time of it with multiple sms and unlock codes for the Nokia handsets, I've got some more bad news for you.

Three announced on Tuesday that it will be outsourcing all of it's customer service jobs (with the exception of sales and a few essential teams.) from their Glasgow contact centre.

This means that you will be dealing with India from 17th April 2007.
    I know that you weren't too happy dealing with us in Scotland rather than an Irish call centre but things I can assure you will become alot worse.

After having worked for the company for 3 years I healt dealt with the fallout from the Indian contact centre. Have a check on www.3g.co.uk and you'll be able to see what sort of service you can expect from now on.

This is another example of 3 putting profit before customer service.
    they won't pass the saving in wages onto the customer that's for sure.

You guys are the heaviest spenders in the European mobile market and this is how 3 reward you.

Get out now while you can!

Redundant wrote:
    Hi guys I know you've had a bit of a time of it with multiple sms and unlock codes for the Nokia handsets, I've got some more bad news for you.

Three announced on Tuesday that it will be outsourcing all of it's customer service jobs (with the exception of sales and a few essential teams.) from their Glasgow contact centre.

This means that you will be dealing with India from 17th April 2007.
    I know that you weren't too happy dealing with us in Scotland rather than an Irish call centre but things I can assure you will become alot worse.
    it goes from bad to worse. i never had a problem with you lot in scotland. i always thought you were pleasant and friendly but had no power to do anything and that wasn't your fault. i've only had to deal with mumbai once but it wasn't a pleasant experience.
    Redundant wrote:
    Get out now while you can!
    oh i intend to

Out of curiousity, I have a query. Having worked in a mobile shop, I am quite aware of what a contract should look like as well as what you should be agreeing to when you sign it.

I signed my Three 'contract' in CPW in December. Basically, it was an order sheet with no mention of terms and conditions, no mention of my agreeing to a direct debit, no agreement to the terms of any contract in fact. It was basically an order form for a VideoTalk 400 tariff and phone which I scrawled my name on at the bottom in a blank empty space. No 'sign here for acceptance' or anything like that.

If I were to cancel the contract, would they have any leeway towards renumeration on my part because technically I've not signed anything legally binding, in my opinion.

chrislad wrote:
    Out of curiousity, I have a query. Having worked in a mobile shop, I am quite aware of what a contract should look like as well as what you should be agreeing to when you sign it.

I signed my Three 'contract' in CPW in December. Basically, it was an order sheet with no mention of terms and conditions, no mention of my agreeing to a direct debit, no agreement to the terms of any contract in fact. It was basically an order form for a VideoTalk 400 tariff and phone which I scrawled my name on at the bottom in a blank empty space. No 'sign here for acceptance' or anything like that.

If I were to cancel the contract, would they have any leeway towards renumeration on my part because technically I've not signed anything legally binding, in my opinion.
    hmm, that is a point. 3 contracts are just print outs off a website and don't say the terms and conditions on them. you might have a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Right I'm pretty bloody angry with this crowd of wasters now. Along with others in this thread I'm only learning of this unlocking administration fee of 25e now, when I ring up looking for the code.

I'm told that they have to request the software for this unlocking code directly from the manufacturer, and that this is why I must pay the fee before they'll even have the code, let alone give it to me.

Total crap if you ask me. They have had the software for Nokias for the past 3 months (as I have just been told on the phone) so why am I paying for them to send off to Nokia for my own code?

Has anyone successfully fought their way past the customer care people to get their code for their own phone, without having to pay this money for no good reason?

*edit* Also, apparantly I agreed to a verbal contract by accepting the phone in the first place. There was (according to the monkey on the end of the phone :) ) an explanation of all this in the box along with my handset

Verbal contract? Not worth the paper it's written on. :)

Might post this in Legal Issues.

zoro wrote:
    *edit* Also, apparantly I agreed to a verbal contract by accepting the phone in the first place. There was (according to the monkey on the end of the phone :) ) an explanation of all this in the box along with my handset

T&C's are included in the box with the phone, from what I remember there is something like a week period where you can return the phone etc without going into a contract

Its upto you to be aware of the T&C's and in them it states the 25e admin fee, signing upto a service without first reading and being aware of the T&C's attached to it is a very bad idea....after all would you get a loan from a bank without reading the terms of it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I, like most consumers probably, presume that if I don't physically sign a contract, then I'm not bound to anything.
    Obviously its a very naive thing to do, and I'll be alot more careful in the future

Meh, regardless, I was sold the service under false pretences (ie being able to lower my tariff) so the contract has been broken on their part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

So you can't lower the tariff at all? I seemed to recall it was possible to do so after the first 6 months, but I may be mixing that up with 3 in another country, or an old offer that no longer exists.

Advertisement